Cleveland CG15 Wedge Unboxing & Review

Looking forward to it. How about the Niblicks?

Here are some pictures of the wedges out on the range.

723065998_PFK28-L.jpg

723065765_DVy8Q-L.jpg

723065852_3HVQV-L.jpg

723066217_raGxi-L.jpg

723066150_pnApy-L.jpg

Hey JB,

Out of curiosity did the same people test the 56* CG15 and the 56* Niblick? I ask because it woudl be interesting see how they compared side by side. I know, I know...just wait for the review:act-up:

Keith,
That is actually a great question. While we did not have the exact same testers test both, we did have quite an overlapping. After the review if you are still in need of answers, I can provide them based on their "score cards" of what their thoughts were.

I am not sure I have played a better wedge in my entire golfing life than this one. I liked my Vokeys when I had them, I liked my Arc Wedges when I played those. I really liked the Nike VRs this year and also the Eidolons are near the top for me. There are so many really good wedges, but I believe that for my game the CG15s may be the best I have played.

As for the 56* Niblick vs the CG15 out of the sand, it is very different. I even took GG up to the range tonight and let her try it out and she liked it a lot. It took a few swings to get used to, but it works down right well. If someone struggles out of the sand, this could be their solution. But there is a small learning curve, and there are some obstacles.

Both are fabulous pieces of equipment. I will let you decide which works better. I am not giving up my Niblick, but the CG15s are definitely staying in my bag for now. I dont change wedges as often as some. I had my Vokeys for well over a year. Had my Nickents for right around a year. Now these. And that is from someone that tries just about every piece of equipment out there.

Thanks JB. When I tried the CG15 in the store I very impressed with how it actually grabbed the ball and I could really see how it spun. My problem with the chip shots is my accerlation is sporadic. When it think about accelerating through the ball I do fine, but it that is not my final thought then I suffer with hitting the ball cleanly.

The 37 and 42 Nibs have really helped my consistency but I still have to remember to accelerate. I am still having some trouble controlling their stopping, especially from shoter distances. My sand game is off and on....when it is on it is great, when off.. well I am way off. I think grooves on the CG15 may help but of course its more my swing than the actual club. One thing I noticed was the club head on the CG15 seemed smaller than the CG14. Was this my imagination?

I have been playing the Adams Pugliellis wedges and been satisfied with them but just the latest and greatest.

The Adams wedges are also very good wedges. They did extremely well in our wedge shoot out and I was a big fan especially on full shots. The club head of the CG15 may in fact be slightly smaller than the 14, but not a lot. However I do not have the 14s to compare it to, so it may be more than I think.

They definitely grab the ball and produce some major spin. Deceleration and acceleration are the problem that many have with their short game and the reason that the Niblick works as well as it does. If practiced, the technique like a putter or a swift chip, it is extremely versatile. I preferred the higher lofted ones to the lower lofted ones just because of the speed of the greens I play and the fact that they land a little softer.

I'm thinking the higher lofted NIblicks may work well for me.

I have been playing the Adams Pugliellis wedges and been satisfied with them but just the latest and greatest.
Just a quick threadjack and then back to regularly scheduled programming. My 56° Adams is the best club I have ever used out of the sand. OK, I'm done.

I'm thinking the higher lofted NIblicks may work well for me.
I'm with you. I am most interested in hearing how the 49° performs.

These may actually replace my 588's!

SOmething I want to add that was not in the review is just that barruda. Fans of the 588 line have usually stayed that way and not migrated to the new CG lines. But these take the shape and weighting of the 588 line and add the feel of the CG12 and the playability of the 14.

Just read the review and its excellent as usual. But I had to laugh at the two people who found the writing to be a distraction lol. Really? Sounds like Tiger on Tour or something. I cant hit these because of the tiny little writing lol.

We found it odd too, but wanted to make sure we reported why they did not like them. You cant please everybody.

I'm thinking of adding the 50 and 56 degree wedge. They are so nice looking and if they play like my other cleveland wedges then I know they feel better then my vokey's and for me feel is everything with wedges.

I'm thinking of adding the 50 and 56 degree wedge. They are so nice looking and if they play like my other cleveland wedges then I know they feel better then my vokey's and for me feel is everything with wedges.

Solidk,
Check out the review and see what others were saying about the playability.

Just read the review and its excellent as usual. But I had to laugh at the two people who found the writing to be a distraction lol. Really? Sounds like Tiger on Tour or something. I cant hit these because of the tiny little writing lol.

Surprisingly enough, I have read this in other places too. Im a little baffled by it.

Really can the writing be that distracting? I looked these over really close at GG the other day and I just dont see it. I repsect others opinions but I think theyre great looking club. Probably will be my next wedge after winter.

I have played my 56 CG15 for about an hour at the range and will be surprised if the laser etching stays on there for a while longer. The zip grooves are unreal but not sure how long Cleveland expected the laser etching to last.

I have used mine for quite a few rounds now and it is still there. You can see some pictures in this thread of them used. While they do not stay razor sharp, they do still add surface texture which is the same as "milling" found in Vokeys and other wedges.

Excellent

Excellent

This look great and play awesome. The best wedges I have used period.

Back