Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played 9 (shot a 52) and practiced 2 nights this week. I've been working on my chipping/putting and fairway woods. I have really been struggling with the 3w and 5w, this leaves me without a "plan b" when the driver gets skwerly.... I'm playing 18 on Sunday with 3 of my co-workers, we'll see how it goes!

I played 9 (shot a 52) and practiced 2 nights this week. I've been working on my chipping/putting and fairway woods. I have really been struggling with the 3w and 5w, this leaves me without a "plan b" when the driver gets skwerly.... I'm playing 18 on Sunday with 3 of my co-workers, we'll see how it goes!

Good luck!

My Plan B is to use what works. I've been hitting driver like Bubba this year. Until Sunday, that is. The big dawg abandoned me so I started teeing off on > par 3 holes with the club I was hitting best - a 4i. I had a couple blow up holes and way too many putts and still shot a 102. Play the middle of the fairway. Regardless of club.

well despite a less than stellar day off the tee, and trying my best to sabotage my round on the par 3 18th...i managed to finally break 100 this season. 18 left a sour taste in my mouth of what was overall pretty nice round otherwise. On the bright side, I didn't set the bar too high for the next round :).

Iron play was the best I've ever played, and putting didn't hurt me, hit more than a few 8-10 footers.

Weather here is pretty wet at the minute, never seem to play too well in the rain so not got the highest of hopes for tomorrow's round. I've been hitting my driver really consistently at the range though this week so I think I'm going to give it a spin tomorrow and see how it goes. Here's to breaking 100 but I'll be happy with anything sub 110 in all honesty! Good luck to anyone attempting to hit double digits this weekend, I'll report back after my round!

Good work GillPier! Nice front 9 there buddy, hit a few more fairways and you could be not far off breaking 90. Is that scorecard off the GolfShot app? I like the look of it.

Good work GillPier! Nice front 9 there buddy, hit a few more fairways and you could be not far off breaking 90. Is that scorecard off the GolfShot app? I like the look of it.

thanks! And yep, that's Golfshot

Trying to Break 100

Congrats on the 98 and the first time below 100 Gill!

Shot a 99 last night on 16 holes on the account of darkness due to slow play. Score was 62/37 with a par 4&5 left to play. The front was a disastrous display of golf. Over all it was an ok round I ended up hitting driver acceptable once I adjusted my tee height 4/12 FIR only because I drove through like 3or4.

Got out early this AM as a single and played 9. Played two balls and sometimes played it out, shot a 49 with an asterisk cause I played best ball most of the times. It was more for practice than anything.

Way too go GillPier, nice work!

Not going for 100 tomorrow morning but going for a quality game. If I get 100 awesome, if not it's not the end of the world as long as I've played within myself and in control, thinking my way through the course. If I can do that I think I'll do well. Here's hoping!

Not going for 100 tomorrow morning but going for a quality game. If I get 100 awesome, if not it's not the end of the world as long as I've played within myself and in control, thinking my way through the course. If I can do that I think I'll do well. Here's hoping!

Best of luck to you and that is a great way to get around the course with a good score!

well despite a less than stellar day off the tee, and trying my best to sabotage my round on the par 3 18th...i managed to finally break 100 this season. 18 left a sour taste in my mouth of what was overall pretty nice round otherwise. On the bright side, I didn't set the bar too high for the next round :).

Iron play was the best I've ever played, and putting didn't hurt me, hit more than a few 8-10 footers.

Congrats!!

So close to breaking 100! Bah!!! Played a round at a slightly more difficult course (127 slope rating vs. the 113 of my usual course). Ended up shooting a 102 which is my personal best so far. Had a 48 on the back 9, which is easily the best I have ever done. Never broken 50 before on a 9 hole stretch. That 10 on the 5th hole really, really sucked. Started off the day with horrendous putting, but it got a bit better as the day went on. From the 6th-11th I was feeling pretty great about my putting as I was finally able to string together some 2 putts. Those 4 putts though...ouch.

Really loving my new driver. Hitting the fairways with much greater consistency. Not really getting great distance yet, but that's why I play the whites.

The putting still needs to improve by leaps and bounds, but I'm feeling good about my progress so far.

HomeCourse.png

So close to breaking 100! Bah!!! Played a round at a slightly more difficult course (127 slope rating vs. the 113 of my usual course). Ended up shooting a 102 which is my personal best so far. Had a 48 on the back 9, which is easily the best I have ever done. Never broken 50 before on a 9 hole stretch. That 10 on the 5th hole really, really sucked. Started off the day with horrendous putting, but it got a bit better as the day went on. From the 6th-11th I was feeling pretty great about my putting as I was finally able to string together some 2 putts. Those 4 putts though...ouch.

Really loving my new driver. Hitting the fairways with much greater consistency. Not really getting great distance yet, but that's why I play the whites.

The putting still needs to improve by leaps and bounds, but I'm feeling good about my progress so far.

HomeCourse.png

So very close! Congrats on the new PB for 9 and new overall PB!

Do you know what's causing the 3 & 4 jacks? Is it lag putting? Putting yourself in bad position on the green?

So very close! Congrats on the new PB for 9 and new overall PB!

Do you know what's causing the 3 & 4 jacks? Is it lag putting? Putting yourself in bad position on the green?

Thanks!

Putting is something I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around. Just about every single problem occurred today, and it usually happens every round. Had a couple of putts within 5 feet that I just miss. Left a couple of long putts severely short. Just having a difficult time really being able to find the right rhythm and speed when putting, I think.

Thanks!

Putting is something I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around. Just about every single problem occurred today, and it usually happens every round. Had a couple of putts within 5 feet that I just miss. Left a couple of long putts severely short. Just having a difficult time really being able to find the right rhythm and speed when putting, I think.

It happens try to get a consistent stroke worked out and spend lots of time on the practice greens.

Shot 114 today. Frankly I would have broken 100 if I hadn't insisted on teeing off with a driver or 3 wood on every hole. Cost me 15 strokes and 5 lost balls today. Really displeased with my choices in the teebox today. Next time!

Thanks!

As a reformed horrible putter, I have found that consistent putting is about tempo. The best tip I ever got through my putting lessons was to use A,B,C. Same tempo throughout the swing. A is the back point of the putting stroke, B is the forward most point of the stroke and C is the point where you look up. I didn't figure out that I was watching the ball from the moment it left the putter face which caused all kinds of problems until I had to focus on watching the spot where the ball for that period of time. As soon as I started doing that, everything improved with my putting. Speed was the greatest improvement, but direction improved greatly as well. No more pushes or pulls because I was moving around.

Didn't get it done today. 58+50=108. I had a good warmup prior to my round, did some simulated holes etc and was focusing on extending my right arm through the finish of my swing, which got back some distance I had been missing recently (couple of good drives of 260+). I started poorly despite the good warmup; opened with 4 straight triples until I finally stopped the bleeding with a double (!) on 5. Two bogeys and two more triples after that and there you have your ugly 58. Back 9 was a bit better, missed birdie by an inch on 10 and played bogey golf for half the remaining eight holes. 5/14 FIR, 2/18 GIR, 20+16= 36 putts. Enjoy rolling my new putter and anticipate I'll see some better putting numbers as I acclimate further. Four penalties didn't help things today. Onward and upward.

As a reformed horrible putter, I have found that consistent putting is about tempo. The best tip I ever got through my putting lessons was to use A,B,C. Same tempo throughout the swing. A is the back point of the putting stroke, B is the forward most point of the stroke and C is the point where you look up. I didn't figure out that I was watching the ball from the moment it left the putter face which caused all kinds of problems until I had to focus on watching the spot where the ball for that period of time. As soon as I started doing that, everything improved with my putting. Speed was the greatest improvement, but direction improved greatly as well. No more pushes or pulls because I was moving around.

Thanks. I'm trying to work on that right now and finding a good rhythm/tempo. Work in progress, but I'm trying. Had someone tell me that it looks like I'm trying to 'hit' the ball instead of smoothly swinging through the ball, which can lead to having issues with distance controls. So I'm working on trying to smooth it out.

Set a personal best! 53/52 - 105. I was pretty bummed out at the end of the round, though....I felt I played rather poorly, probably a dozen mis-hits like topped balls and shanks that I just can't seem to get ironed out of my game. However, my well struck shots seem to be better than ever, and my Cleveland Mashie 5-wood is my new best friend.

The only other concern - a sore back a the end of the round. I'm not sure if it is a result of
1) not having played very many 18-hole rounds this year
2) poor swing mechanics (i.e. trying to turn my shoulders further than they can actually go
3) too much contact with the ground (fat shots = blech:sick:)
4) just some random thing

I have a lesson scheduled for tomorrow that may answer some questions!

Friday was 57 and 51 (108)
Saturday 51 and 54 (105)

Good tee shots both days, I may have my "new" Callaway Fusion driver figured out.
My downfall both days was poor putting and or getting myself in bad putting situations.

I was in range of the greens on several of the par fours, and had my distance good, but missed the green by 15-20 yards right or left. When I get this worked out I think my score will improve greatly.

I would call both days pretty good, the 57 was mostly the result of one bad hole, the 54 was the same. Saturday was my best/consistent day I have had. And I think I found a new golfing partner for Friday's when I don't work.
He last played about seven years ago, I was in his shoes just a few months ago.

Going to be a busy week for me, I don't expect to get much play or practice in till next weekend.
I am going to at least try and swing a club every night in the yard, even if its by porch light...

Saturday I shot a 96 with the Callaway FT Optiforce I'm testing. That and my new putter are going to make a difference I think. I had some of my longest drives of the year with the Optiforce, and that makes a big difference on longer holes. It's nice to have a chance to reach some par 5's in two, even if I flub my second shot. At least the opportunity was there for a change.

Well, I had a decent round yesterday, shot 102, which is my PB. I had a pretty consistent double-bogey pace with only one blow-up hole, scoring a 9 that put me over the century mark. I was excellent off the tee, only putting one tee shot OB. I had a good mix of 3W, irons and even a reasonably straight driver. All in all I was VERY pleased with my long irons and woods. I fell short in chipping with a few duffs and blades adding some strokes. The putting was not terrible, but I did have two 4-putts. I started the year horrible in all aspects of my game, I've been tackling them one aspect at a time. I 'clicked' with my irons quickly, and now am gaining consistency on my woods both off the tee and the deck. Now I'm going to focus my practice time around the green and within 100 yards. I'm confident I'll be posting a success story before too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back