Club Championship should I play

I agree with the others, have a go you might really enjoy it and you will be hooked for years to come. You might also make some new friends/golfing buddies.

Glad to hear you're going through with it, can't wait to hear how you do. When is the CC?

Give it a little tappy, tap tap taparoo!

I would echo everyone else here. This is only my second year of full club membership and the difference to last year is that I'm playing every tournament I can, where as last year it was only the Sunday charity stablefords. I played my home club ProAm last week and while I was exceptionally nervous about it I thouroughly enjoyed the experience. I've signed up for the club championship off the back of it as I've seen that I can mix it with all the club members now no matter what their handicap or mine. The constant competative golf has helped me shave 4.3 shots off my handicap this year so that's also an upside!

I assume your club tournament is like any other. Some will be great, others will be bad, some will have moments of greatness and moments of awful. I'm sure it will be flighted after so many holes. I'd play, and just go into it to have fun.

~Rock

Glad to hear you're going through with it, can't wait to hear how you do. When is the CC?

Give it a little tappy, tap tap taparoo!

It's the 23-25 of this month, so not much time to get prepared.

It should be fun and I'll let everyone know my experience. Good bad or indifferent

Go for it! Anytime you can get some competitive experience, do it! Not quite the same, but since my buddies and I started gambling a little to make it more competitive, my game has improved. I'm more confident over 4-footers and I'm learning to manage the golf course better.

Ok so.......I just saw the list of other golfers, not many 15-20 and all from 3-7 with a 9 a 12 and me. I have a feeling this is going to be embarrassing. Four days away and back went into spasms just practicing chips.

Would you still do it knowing you"ll probably finish DFL

Thanks

Good luck and have fun don't think about your score just have fun. And don't let better players intimidate you.

Ok so.......I just saw the list of other golfers, not many 15-20 and all from 3-7 with a 9 a 12 and me. I have a feeling this is going to be embarrassing. Four days away and back went into spasms just practicing chips.

Thanks

If it's not flighted, then handicaps would be used. That means if you play well and everyone else plays their normal game, you could beat them even if they're a 3 handicap. Obviously the chances that nobody else is going to play well aren't high, but then again, neither is the chance you're gonna embarrass yourself.

Thanks

Is the point of being a member just to play golf, or are you hoping to meet people as well? Either way, I still think you should get out of your comfort zone and play. If you're just in it for the golf, then just treat it as another round and pretend you got paired up with strangers. Don't play like something is on the line, and you might just surprise yourself. If it's about meeting people, then you're going to have to get comfortable playing with people who are better than you.

Just have fun with it and treat it as a growth opportunity either way. Good luck!

Do not stress it!! Enjoy yourself, and play well!!!

handicapped or flights, it is a chance for you to play competitive golf....old Saying...The difference between competitive golf and recreational golf is as different as tennis and baseball...

Any chance to play competitively will make you a better golfer!!!

Last edited:
Don't worry about it, just go and have fun! Competitive golf is such a blast. Obviously unless your back won't let you play and you'd be risking injury.

I say go for it! As long as you treat the game, course, and other competitors with courtesy and respect and put forth an honest effort you will most likely walk away with new playing partners and friends regardless of handicap. While yes some are there to win in the end everyone is there for the same reason - they enjoy the game.

Yea, assuming handicaps are not used (and it is not flighted), you actually should feel good about it. We have a few handicap tournaments for my league. I play a 4 handicap (9 hole handicap), but its always the 12 handicaps that win. One of those high handicappers is going to have a good day, and its tough for the low handicappers to compete against someone who takes 12 strokes off their score.

~Rock

Thanks for all the encouragement, yes the goal is to meet new members and learn how to play competitively only if it's in the occasional tourney.

When I posted this it just surprised me how few people there were and knowing they are 10-15yrs younger and that much better. That being said I've played twice from the tips and hit my handicap both times so really I know I can do it, it's just not my comfort zone.

The back is still tight but I'm going to play tonight so I can have one more chance from the tips and to see what I need to do when my back feels like this. Then relax the rest of the week and not worry

Will keep you all posted on how bad I embarrass myself

yeah get some pressure play experience and all golfers need that

Back