The official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Claire is about to leave us for a couple of minutes. hehe

Sounds like Claire is about to leave us for a couple of minutes. hehe

Nah.

Couple of minutes? You don't have much faith in me, Smallie!

I prefer chronologically, but Hubby likes it by market cap. When I'm feeling really frisky, I might do it alphabetically.

You do know, don't you, that unlike the S&P 500, the Dow is not market cap weighted--they try to make all the companies affect the number equally.
Spoiler
That's practically foreplay in our house.

Edit: Hubby just sent me another email.

I think by sector sounds exciting. I'd be partial to the conglomerates. 3M, GE, UTX. It doesn't get any better than that. Just don't say BAC or JPM in front of me. I don't care for huge banks.

I may have known the DOW is not cap rated. Or I may not have.

Kevin

I think by sector sounds exciting. I'd be partial to the conglomerates. 3M, GE, UTX. It doesn't get any better than that. Just don't say BAC or JPM in front of me. I don't care for huge banks.

I may have known the DOW is not cap rated. Or I may not have.

Kevin

It's interesting (okay, to Hubby it is) that a 30 stock equal weighted index correlates so well to a 500 stock cap weighted index.

The folks at Dow Jones also have a knack for changing the index's composition at the wrong time--they added Microsoft and Intel right at the top of the tech bubble, for instance.

It's interesting (okay, to Hubby it is) that a 30 stock equal weighted index correlates so well to a 500 stock cap weighted index.

The folks at Dow Jones also have a knack for changing the index's composition at the wrong time--they added Microsoft and Intel right at the top of the tech bubble, for instance.

When you say correlate, you mean that both mirror each other rather well in terms of performance?

I did some online investing during that tech bubble. Started not long before it filled completely and burst. That was a sobering experience. I Wish I had some of that back.

Kevin

I'm confused. Are Kevin and Claire having some sort of e-sex?

I feel like I had an epiphany today. I'm a sweeper, but when I adjusted my stance - not only did I get a lot more distance, but I was able to really hit down and take a big divot. Amazing the difference a few inches makes.

I feel like I had an epiphany today. I'm a sweeper, but when I adjusted my stance - not only did I get a lot more distance, but I was able to really hit down and take a big divot. Amazing the difference a few inches makes.

Ball too far up in your stance?

Kevin

I was standing too far away from it.

Can't make a good coiled shoulder turn if you're reaching for the ball. Good for you. Soon you'll be a bona fide ball striker instead of a ball sweeper. You'll hit it farther and it will stop when it lands. Sounds better when you hit it like that, doesn't it? It's the thwack sound Harry talks about in the R9 review.

Kevin

Can't make a good coiled shoulder turn if you're reaching for the ball. Good for you. Soon you'll be a bona fide ball striker instead of a ball sweeper. You'll hit it farther and it will stop when it lands. Sounds better when you hit it like that, doesn't it? It's the thwack sound Harry talks about in the R9 review.

Kevin

Yes, a much better sound. I wasn't letting my shoulders do the work - I was using my arms so I was coming down in the wrong plaace. Oh and I finally have my wrists in the right place. My father knows that I need something obvious so he gives me one thing to focus on - like my thumb being down on my backswing or my left hand facing the target - it helps a lot.

Congrats Diane, keep it up.

Congrats Diane, keep it up.

You know Smallie - the best part is I'm excited to play again. It made me sad when I wasn't excited to be out on the course.

Sounds like Daddio has you going in the right direction. Shoulder turn good. Arm swing bad.

Stay connected Cupcake, and you'll be smashing that little white ball. My wife has a very difficult time making a shoulder turn. She's an arm swinger. She's working hard at it, but it's not easy.

Kevin

Sounds like Daddio has you going in the right direction. Shoulder turn good. Arm swing bad.

Stay connected Cupcake, and you'll be smashing that little white ball. My wife has a very difficult time making a shoulder turn. She's an arm swinger. She's working hard at it, but it's not easy.

Kevin

Nope - Golf isn't easy. As I said - I have faith that it will all come together one day. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

Every so often I start to post something - then remember that it's mostly men here - think better of it and delete my post.

The weather was beautiful today - 55*, sunny and blue skies. The only problem was that there are still bees on the course. I usually tell people I'm allergic, but forgot today. On the 4th hole, a yellow jacket landed on my ball and I swore at it and told it to move. One of the guys playing with me thought I was talking to him, gave me an odd look and moved away quickly.

I haven't seen bees, wasps or even flies in a while.

I think I'm just hyper-alert to their presence. I don't notice other things.

Tucson is having a huge, driving thunderstorm right this minute. It is very strange to hear thunder and rain on the roof when you have grown accustomed to only sunny, dry days.

It snowed on the mountains above my house last night.

I don't want to threadjack the Kindle thread, but wanted to comment on Kevin's post.

Kevin - you seem to like women more than most people. That's why we like you too although I'm not sure about the shrimp and wine.

Stay connected Cupcake, and you'll be smashing that little white ball.

My best shots today were with my long irons - not exactly smashing, but they were going. That has been a weak point for me so I was excited.

My best shots today were with my long irons - not exactly smashing, but they were going. That has been a weak point for me so I was excited.

You get so you can hit long irons consistently, and the rest is cake. In your case I guess, cupcake.

Kevin

This reminded me of a little sparring match two nameless forum members had recently.

There is a legitimate story behind this, but my brother's catchphrase for today has been, "for every suck there's a blow."

Spoiler
He and my brother-in-law were debating whether, if an airplane's window was broken mid-flight, the passengers would technically be sucked or blown out of the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back