Putting Wheel Training Aid Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Very good review, Hawk.

It is an interesting concept, but devices like this give me pause for concern. I'm always nervous that it will be too difficult to use, which will decrease my confidence in putting. I have experienced this issue with a couple putting training devices in the past.

Great review Hawk, I really liked this thought “Putter Wheel is one of those products that I’d rather see labeled as a ‘feedback aid’ than a training aid.” This product looks like it could help a person develop a much more effective stroke and take all of the “hit” from their putting stroke. I think I might try out this ‘feedback aid’, it seems a little over priced but I don’t think that is too much to spend to help with my putting practice.

Really great review hawk.... great video that wheel sure rolls surprisingly well.....i really want to try this out. but i only want to buy one wheel. i don't see the need for 3 of them and i know i wouldn't use the marking template. i also think $40 is way to much for these as much as i'd use them. its just like the steel balls that i got a chance to buy i only need 1 no need to buy more than that i guess this is a way for the company to sell more but i bet they would sell a ton more if they offered the opportunity to buy single wheels.

I think it's a great idea, though the pricetag seems a bit steep for what you are getting.

Very good review, Hawk.

It is an interesting concept, but devices like this give me pause for concern. I'm always nervous that it will be too difficult to use, which will decrease my confidence in putting. I have experienced this issue with a couple putting training devices in the past.

Really great review hawk.... great video that wheel sure rolls surprisingly well.....i really want to try this out. but i only want to buy one wheel. i don't see the need for 3 of them and i know i wouldn't use the marking template. i also think $40 is way to much for these as much as i'd use them. its just like the steel balls that i got a chance to buy i only need 1 no need to buy more than that i guess this is a way for the company to sell more but i bet they would sell a ton more if they offered the opportunity to buy single wheels.

Both of you have good points here.

ATL, I used the word frustrating for pretty good reason in the review. Lag putts were especially difficult and that's really something I'm usually pretty good at with a real ball. Obviously, I must have adapted a less than perfect stroke to pull them off, but like I said, putting doesn't always require perfection in form.

Buck - couldn't agree more. I really don't think a 3-pack is necessary either, especially at the price.

Great review Hawk.

Interesting product for sure though. I am with you and don't think I would label it a training aid. There are many ways to make a putting stroke to get the ball rolling, just there are a lot of way to swing a golf club to deliver the club at impact. I like the "feedback aid" title much better. I agree with Buck to, $40 is a lot for something that won't be used a ton and I would only need one. Great concept though and will probably help quite a few people.

Great review of an interesting product Hawk! I've been waiting to read this one since the preview.

I love the concept, and the dual line alignment aid template is intriguing too.

Both of you have good points here.

ATL, I used the word frustrating for pretty good reason in the review. Lag putts were especially difficult and that's really something I'm usually pretty good at with a real ball. Obviously, I must have adapted a less than perfect stroke to pull them off, but like I said, putting doesn't always require perfection in form.

Buck - couldn't agree more. I really don't think a 3-pack is necessary either, especially at the price.

i think they can offer the pack and the singles be an easy way to get their product out there more.

The concept makes perfect sense - train your body to execute a good stroke every time so that your putts stay on their intended line. Also would love to try out the dual alignment aid. Agreed with Buck however on the price point.

Looks very interesting, I totally see how it would help your putting practice.

Interesting. It would be cool to try this thing out but I think I'd rather find someone who already has one than to voluntarily pay that much just to have one! Not saying that it wouldn't help, but it's priced a bit on the high side.

Do you think moving forward, that you will continue to use this product regularly? Or, had you picked one up in the store, would it have been $40 better spent elsewhere?

This is a great review and quite frankly an aid that I need to get. Yes, $40 is steep but well worth what you would get out of it.

Very good review, Hawk.

this makes perfect sense.

what doesnt is saying $40 is too much.

for conversation sake....if buying this knocked ones hdcp down by 2 because avg putts went down by 2...would the $40 not be worth it? In the end...its $40 to help what takes OVER 1/3 of your score on the course.

As putting is so many strokes I could see how this would help. Great review.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reads and comments guys!

Interesting. It would be cool to try this thing out but I think I'd rather find someone who already has one than to voluntarily pay that much just to have one! Not saying that it wouldn't help, but it's priced a bit on the high side.

Do you think moving forward, that you will continue to use this product regularly? Or, had you picked one up in the store, would it have been $40 better spent elsewhere?

I've still used it even after the 'official' testing period was over. It's sort of like a video game you can't beat in that I want to make the thing stand up on lag putts every time. However, I don't know if it would be a regular addition to the practice routine, primarily because I usually only reach for putting aids when I need them. Good example is the Tru Path I reviewed a couple years ago (I think it was that long ago). It's great for working on not taking the club so far inside, one of my biggest faults, but I usually only go there if I'm seeing consistently bad performance on the greens.

Price/value is a hard one and I hate to make that call for everybody since we are all very different. I wouldn't ever buy a brand new driver at full price, while some people have no problem doing that 2+ times in a year for example. I will say that having them available in one-packs would at a lower cost would make them more attractive to me on a personal level.

Great stuff Hawk. "Instant" training aid devices can be very effective for some, but not as much for others. Look like it could really help the right person but I personally don't see the value it would bring me for that price point, unless I was able to demo one first.

I wanted to let you guys know that companies (big and small) read what we say here and many times make changes to their product based on your feedback. Just saw this comment on the review.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Based on this we have created two new packages: 2-ball and 1-ball packs at lower prices. They both come with the 2 line template. Available online at http://www.putterwheel.com. Thank you!

That is so cool man. I love it.

I wanted to let you guys know that companies (big and small) read what we say here and many times make changes to their product based on your feedback. Just saw this comment on the review.
That's cool to hear they took the feedback to heart!

That is very cool. Now to order the one pack and get started.

edit - just ordered the 1 pack, $21.90 shipped. Thanks for the heads up Ryan.

Great review. I think I may just jump on the one-ball option.

I've been using this to work on making better and more consistent contact when putting its really cool to watch this roll into the hole. And you can see how important it is to make sure you're making consistent contact with your putting stroke.

I've been using this to work on making better and more consistent contact when putting its really cool to watch this roll into the hole. And you can see how important it is to make sure you're making consistent contact with your putting stroke.

What do you think so far? Do you think it will translate to the course

How well does it work on significant left to right or right to left breaking putts? I would have to think the sloping may help the wheel fall over.

Of course, I do realize this product isn't necessarily aimed to help you make those kind of putts but instead it's geared towards getting the ball rolling on the right line.

Back