November in California, where should I go?

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife is going to LA for a one day conference in November and we are going to make a trip out of it. I'll have at least 1 full day to golf pretty much anywhere within a couple of hours of Manhattan Beach area. Should I go to San Diego, Palm Springs, stay in LA??? Any courses in particular to play at a reasonable cost?

We do plan on an overnight trip to Monterey as well and I would like to play up there, but it would have to be early morning. Is it tool cold in November to play early up there? If I can play, what are some suggestions (other than the two obvious ones that I know of, Pebble and Spyglass). I would spend good money to play Pebble, otherwise I would be looking for a "best bang for the buck" situation. If it's $100 but ridiculously awesome, then I'm OK with that.

You can't go wrong with the San Diego area. Torrey Pines comes to mind, but there are alot of good courses in the SD area.

I would stay as close to Manhatten Beach as a proper golf course allows. If you add in a drive both ways from Palm Springs or SD you are looking at a very long day.

Trump, Robinson Ranch, La Mirada, want to just get out and have fun locally, Chester Washington, Lakewood GC, El Dorado Park, Skylinks

Rustic Canyon up in Moorpark is a Gil Hanse design. Just need to time the freeway driving to make it work without pulling out your hair.

A great value tee time is Los Verdes GC in Palos Verdes, but it can be a tough tee time to get, and in November, you'll want an early one if you want to play all 18 (also notoriously slow).

The MB Marriott has a 9 hole par 3 course in the back, so you can get in a practice round, too (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/golf-courses/laxmn-manhattan-beach-marriott/). Quite a bit of elevation change and some over water shots on that little course.

November weather is unpredictable. If it's not raining, then coastal California can be downright lovely in the Winter months. You could even hit days in the low 70s for temperature.

Monterey Area:

http://www.pggolflinks.com/index.php

http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/

I'll let others that are more familiar with southern California golf weigh in on course choices. But I agree with others that you want to choose a course close to where you're staying. No sense spending hours in your car in traffic.

I'm cool with driving a bit, that's why I was thinking Palm Springs in November. I get up early so I can leave at 6am and play 36 and get back before the day is out.

Thanks to all for the feedback. We will be staying in Santa Barbara with family for a couple nights as well, any courses nearby worth checking out?

I'm cool with driving a bit, that's why I was thinking Palm Springs in November. I get up early so I can leave at 6am and play 36 and get back before the day is out.

Thanks to all for the feedback. We will be staying in Santa Barbara with family for a couple nights as well, any courses nearby worth checking out?

There are some nice courses in the Santa Barbara area. Here's a good one. Rancho San Marcos http://www.rsm1804.com/home

Sandpiper, Rancho San Marcos are both good in SB area. In Simi/Ventura area I like Olivas Links, Tierra Rejada, Sterling Hills, Rustic Canyon. Angeles National is a good course also, off the 210 by the 118. Really depends on where you are staying in LA. Robinson Ranch has 2 18s which makes playing 36 good.

Are you planning on playing on a weekday or weekend when in L.A.? Local courses tend to get crowded on the weekend. I suggest driving about an hour out to play. Palms Springs is about a 2 1/2 hour - 3 hour drive and in November they will be charging high season rates. I suggest looking at either Oak Quarry (in Riverside) or Goose Creek (in Mira Loma) and see if that fits your criteria.

I'll second the Inland Empire golf. Great courses at responsible rates. Links at Summerly and Hidden Valley are two of my favorites. Oak Quarry was already mentioned and is also a good choice. Be sure to post up in the SoCal thread if you want some company. We always enjoy playing with and meeting new people.

So far many good suggestions. Cant go wrong with any of the courses suggested here.

Never played much in Southern Calif but Oak Quarry is one I'd hit again and it was reasonably priced and memorable.

Believe it or not sept - nov are considered the summer months in Monterey. Best bang for your buck courses in Monterey (IMHO) are Pacific Grove Golf Links and Del Monte. Pacific Grove is billed as the poor mans Pebble Peach - only a couple miles up from Pebble and you can see Spanish Bay from #11's tee box. And if I remember correctly the same architect as PB. Front nine winds through a Pacific Grove neighborhood and the back nine is all ocean. 62 bucks with a cart!!! Kind of a quirky course but super cool and incredible views. Del Monte is an incredible course and is one of the Pebble Beach properties. Play it in the afternoon for their twilight rate - I think it was 65 with cart last time I played. Awesome history and you can get all the PB stuff you want in their pro shop. Here's an additional tip - no matter where you golf, finish in time to head to Spanish Bay to see the lone bagpiper close down the course. Sit on the patio, grab a cocktail and watch and listen as the piper walks from #1 tee along the fairway to the ocean. An incredible golf tradition! Happy travels!

There are some nice courses in the Santa Barbara area. Here's a good one. Rancho San Marcos http://www.rsm1804.com/home

Rancho San Marcos is usually good. It's been really dried out lately. It might be recovered by November though. If you think you might want to play it let me know and I can check the condition closer to your visit.

Believe it or not sept - nov are considered the summer months in Monterey. Best bang for your buck courses in Monterey (IMHO) are Pacific Grove Golf Links and Del Monte. Pacific Grove is billed as the poor mans Pebble Peach - only a couple miles up from Pebble and you can see Spanish Bay from #11's tee box. And if I remember correctly the same architect as PB. Front nine winds through a Pacific Grove neighborhood and the back nine is all ocean. 62 bucks with a cart!!! Kind of a quirky course but super cool and incredible views. Del Monte is an incredible course and is one of the Pebble Beach properties. Play it in the afternoon for their twilight rate - I think it was 65 with cart last time I played. Awesome history and you can get all the PB stuff you want in their pro shop. Here's an additional tip - no matter where you golf, finish in time to head to Spanish Bay to see the lone bagpiper close down the course. Sit on the patio, grab a cocktail and watch and listen as the piper walks from #1 tee along the fairway to the ocean. An incredible golf tradition! Happy travels!
I was thinking the back nine was designed by the same person, but the front was by somebody else. Fun course, but the back nine is what makes it. The front is wonderful, but similar to so many courses I have played. But the back is so special.

Beware of the ice plant!

I think you are going to be hard pressed to get 36 holes in if you drive to Palm Springs. Thats a 2 hour drive and in November the sun will be setting much earlier(approx 5pm).

As for Santa Barbara courses, Sandpiper and Rancho San Marcos are tops and a little pricey. A good option is Glen Annie, its a quality course and reasonably priced. An hour away is LaPurisima if you are a glutton for punishment and its pricing is good.

In Monterey you can spend a lot or go a tier lower and play Bayonet/Blackhorse. For the price they are two exceptional courses. Pacific Grove has a great back nine but the front is less than desirable. I think for the $ (twice as pricey) I'd rather play a solid course top to bottom like Bayonet/Blackhorse.

I had a co-worker play Rancho San Marcos a few weeks ago and everything was dead other than the teeboxes and greens. Something to do with not getting a water allocation this year due to agriculture getting their share first, and they are on a well system.

Are you planning on playing on a weekday or weekend when in L.A.? Local courses tend to get crowded on the weekend. I suggest driving about an hour out to play. Palms Springs is about a 2 1/2 hour - 3 hour drive and in November they will be charging high season rates. I suggest looking at either Oak Quarry (in Riverside) or Goose Creek (in Mira Loma) and see if that fits your criteria.

I get reciprocal cart fee rates at a few places in Palm Springs, and I am an early riser so 36 out there wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the other input, I will keep them in mind!

Funny you would mention that, I have an aunt who is a professor at UCSB and has invited us to stay there for however long we want. Might have to check these out!

Back