Anybody have trouble with g20 irons ??

fox941

Reaction score
Handicap
Played a few years with titleist 755 irons with s300 shafts and actually the only irons I played that helped me break 90. Im prob a 18 hcp only got them cause they were cheap and eventually got use to them played 5-pw and used a 4 hybrid. I took a friends advice and looked into GI irons. Got fitted and bought a set of ping g20 irons 4-UW with cfs stiff. Only hit the 7 when I got fit by the golf shop. For the last few months I've played horrible golf. And have the hardest time getting quality shots with my swing. When I swing slower than my normal tempo then there fine. And from what I read the long irons are supposed to be super easy to hit but I struggle with them. The lofts are a tad more upright with the pings but they look good on lie board (7 iron) and I know shaft is lighter and SW is less as well.

Anybody else have the same issues?

I think g20's are great clubs. You say they are fine with slower tempo. Do you get expected distances when you do. I am the first to look at clubs when things are not going right but usually it is my swing I would tak a 6 or 7 iron to the range and see if you can groove that normal tempo you describe and if the result with the normal tempo is what you want maybe that is what is required of these irons. Good Luck.

Id say there half a club shorter than my old irons mainly cause they go so high. My old irons were d3 and I'm pretty sure these are d0. Can that make that big of a difference? Also I think the shafts are about 30g lighter too. I have always had a fast tempo and a driver speed of about 105mph so I'm thinking maybe the shafts are the wrong fit. These are the only ones he had me hit.

I think lighter shafts can make for higher ball flight. I am far from an expert but sounds like a shaft issue. I would go back and hit with a fitter several different shafts and see if you find one that works for you. Ping clubs in general hold up in value so if they are just wrong you will get a relatively good pe.rcentage of your money back if you have to sell. But if forgiving easy to hit Luba are what you seek the G20 with the right shaft for you may be just that.

I started with the g20's and they were great until I started getting better and a quicker swing. I switched the DG S300 shafts and started playing much better again.

Did u put the s300's in the g20s or did u go that route with your i20s? Been working with a pro and after ironing out some flaws he had me develop a faster down swing and when I got the g20s my iron game took a crap.

I put the S300's in the g20's, and my swing really loved them.

If u dont mind me asking , how much did it cost to do this? Did u have ping do it?

No I had a local guy do it. It cost me 65 for the shafts (used), and 25 for putting them in and putting the new grips on.

U remember what size tip they were?

.355 tapered.

Back