Things that make you go D'oh!

"Play it as it lies"

I was just thinking the same think.

Now what if you drive the cart forward and then it falls out.???

Played two Sundays ago with a guy who hit the same group of trees and the ball kept going back further than he was. Did it 4 times.... Then he said he got a 6.... I helped him recount :)

Playing Poipu Bay in Hawaii I hit the same ball into the same tree 4 times in a row en route to a 10. The stupid part was the tree wasn't even that big.

Played with RenRen a while back at his home course and we reached a beautiful par 3 down hill and over a gorge I think it was about 150 yard shot. On the left they have a cement staircase with a platform so you can walk down to the green. I pull out my club and hit a nice high shot but pulled the snot out of it and the ball bounced off the platform that is parallel to the green. We didn't see where it bounced to and I thought I was hitting one in the drop zone. We got up to the green and I was about 12 feet away and just missed the birdie put. No idea how it bounced 90 degrees to the right.

Played with RenRen a while back at his home course and we reached a beautiful par 3 down hill and over a gorge I think it was about 150 yard shot. On the left they have a cement staircase with a platform so you can walk down to the green. I pull out my club and hit a nice high shot but pulled the snot out of it and the ball bounced off the platform that is parallel to the green. We didn't see where it bounced to and I thought I was hitting one in the drop zone. We got up to the green and I was about 12 feet away and just missed the birdie put. No idea how it bounced 90 degrees to the right.

That's actually quite a common result from hitting that path. I've seen some guys hit it and end up even close than you.

Now for me when I hit that path I manage to bounce all the way through the green, down the hill through the rough and into OB

Had the most unusually lucky shot today. Hit the ball into my favorite patch of trees (I always hit it there), and had a clear shot to get back on the fairway. Anyway, I took out my 4H and took my shot. Hit a tree in front of me, came back and bounced off the tree behind me and flew back in front of me and landed between the fairway and where I originally hit.

bynaputa.jpg

This always makes me go "Doh!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well taking 4 shots to get out of the woods on 17. 4th shot was a failed punch, hit a tree 6 feet from me, went dead left into a greenside bunker on hole number 1, just as a group was putting. All in a tournament. D'oh!!!

Tapping from my IPhone

Forgot I had this thread here. #1 handicap on the blue course here and I strike a tree with my 5W. No big deal, decent lie, go at it again. Hit the tree right behind it. Lands not too far away from where it originally was. Another decent lie. Hit the ball again and hit yet another tree and bounces on to the fairway. Finally smacked it with a hybrid to get away from the danger.

Needless to say, I still need to learn hit his a draw shot.

From last fall....

Once, I hooked my drive to the left. I was 6 feet behind a stream, which had a small hazard marker about a foot high behind it. Since I was in the woods, I had to punch out. Had a good line, picked up my 5 iron and set up.
It looked perfect for a second, high enough to go over the stream and low enough to go under the trees...then it hits the TOP of the marker, shoots straight up somehow, hits a branch and falls into the stream. :banghead:

I was trying to cheat a dogleg and managed to hook my shot, hitting the ONLY tree sticking up over the thick brush within 50 feet of anything. The ball hit the trunk and literally shot across the fairway into the thick marshy stuff on the opposite side... I couldn't have done that again if I tried!

Playing in a scramble with a friend and jokingly said don't hit the yardage post thinking it wasn't even in play, well, he hit the yardage post.
Bounced 50 yards backwards from his initial shot. Of course it was my fault for saying anything :)

A few weeks ago we were playing a 210 yard par 3. My son hit it short and had a 35 foot shot over some water to the green.

He topped it bad, it skipped twice on the water, and rolled up on the green to about 8 foot from the pin. We both got a good laugh out of it.

Jackal

On 18 all uphill. Slice my drive over the right tree tops and into them. You here the ever famous big "CLUNK" of that dead on wood hitting sound. Seconds later you see and hear the ball bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, down the greens keepers road back downhill and onto his property further back than my tee spot on which I started.

Here is sort of what it looked like. Sometimes its just too funny. was like slow motion and took forever. LOL I actually seen similar happen to one other individual and it was hysterical until it happened to me. But in all the years playing there its the only two times I've seen or heard of it. I assume on just a few more such rare occasion it has happened.

hominy18_zps4f2f2818.jpg

Last edited:
On 18 all uphill. Slice my drive over the right tree tops and into them. You here the ever famous big "CLUNK" of that dead on wood hitting sound. Seconds later you see and here the ball bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, down the greens keepers road back downhill and onto his property further back than my tee spot on which I started.

Here is sort of what it looked like. Sometimes its just too funny

hominy18_zps4f2f2818.jpg

Haha, that was very, very, unfortunate.

Haha, that was very, very, unfortunate.

Yea, and worst part is that those trees are fairly forgiving to get out of as long as you pass the first few as its not very thick. But that time it didn't matter.

If there is a tree, I'll hit it. Doesn't matter where on the course it is or I am. I have had a friend hit a shot and have it get stuck in a tree ... it's only a matter of time before I accomplish that too.

Biggest DOH! shot was one where I was in the adjacent fairway (thanks to a slice off the tee). I had plenty of room to get it back onto my own, but hit it off the toe. It bounced off one tree, ricochet'd into another, and ricochet'd into one more before landing on my own fairway. In total it went probably 100 yards but as the crow flies went ~50 yards from where I was standing.

On 18 all uphill. Slice my drive over the right tree tops and into them. You here the ever famous big "CLUNK" of that dead on wood hitting sound. Seconds later you see and hear the ball bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, down the greens keepers road back downhill and onto his property further back than my tee spot on which I started.

Here is sort of what it looked like. Sometimes its just too funny. was like slow motion and took forever. LOL I actually seen similar happen to one other individual and it was hysterical until it happened to me. But in all the years playing there its the only two times I've seen or heard of it. I assume on just a few more such rare occasion it has happened.

hominy18_zps4f2f2818.jpg

That's crazy! I got lucky on a road shot like that, sliced an iron shot, hit the adjacent street and bounced it almost onto the green.

So yesterday I was playing a round with a friend. We're not great golfers, but we were having fun. I hit an errant shot that landed in the rough with a couple trees about, nothing unusual for my style of play. I ponder my next shot and try to hit the ball through the trees. I had a decent sized gap and have done this shot before with less room for error. I line up my shot and takle my swing. Straight as an arrow, right at a tree. Ball bounces back with a loud pop and rolls onto the fairway, further back than where I i initially started. We had a good laugh and finished the hole.

Lightning struck twice. Same situation happened to my friend and the same result. Ball hit the tree, POP, and landed on the fairway back further than where he started.

I did the EXACT same thing a couple of days ago. The tree in questions trunk was only about 12 inches wide, it was a really clean punch shot that would've been great, had in not thwacked straight into the trunk and bounce back out behind me onto the fairway.

Prestwick, 13th hole, Par 3. From the white's it's 135 yards. Pin is on the opposite end of the lake from the tee's. I can easily hit my 7i 150 yards, but I usually play it short, so I went with it. Well, I hit it 150. Straight as an arrow, and if I had hit it 10 yards less it may have hit the flag. At any rate, ball lands on the back of the green and rolls up a hill into the rough. Second shot is a steep downhill, which I top and goes five feet. Third shot gets me onto the green, but past the hole and onto the fringe on the opposite side. Use the putter to get onto the green and proceed to two putt for a six.

Small victory ... I didn't lose my ball in the water. But still couldn't seal the deal on a par 3. Next time, I'll use my 8i.

3 shots, 3 different tree limbs & all found the water. Beautiful shots each one but freaking tree was in the way every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bad tee shot left me behind a cluster of trees. Figure I'd punch it low with a wood for some nice roll out. Wrong. Popped the tree just to my left and sent it flying 70 yards behind me.

Took a drop...

I hit an 8I yesterday from the trees but had a wide open left to right window but a tree limb about 25' in the air. My plan was to keep it low & let her run on out. Well, from my vantage point the dimple on the very top of the ball caught the a piece of bark on the bottom of that freaking limb. Almost made it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a couple D'oh! moments today. First one was a drive that I hit flush and went nice and straight. Only problem was it was windy, 30MPH with 50MPH gusts windy. The wind stopped my ball and dropped it back for a 160y drive off the tee. Second one was a horrid shank the bal around the green episode. AW off the tree, AW shank, 54* shank, 54* shank, 54* across the green. I was surprised that I left that hole with a 7.

Back