Crossing the Pond.....

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Sitting down today to start planning a trip across the Pond.... England, Germany, France and such, and will be looking for suggestions on courses to play. Starting the planning early because it's a SPACE A vacation.

For those unfamiliar with that, I'm retired military and am able to book free seats (Self and wife) on military flights heading in a direction I want to go. But it takes a lot of planning and lots of free time in the event a flight is cancelled; hence, SPACE A or Space Available.

1. We will fly from Washington State (McChord AFB) to Mildenhall, north of London.

2. We'll fly from Mildenhall to Ramstein in Germany, for the birth of my great grand daughter. (My grand daughter and her husband are stationed there.)

3. We'll rent a car and travel that section of Europe.... down to the south of France to stay with friends.

4. Back to Ramstein and home to Washington.

Looking for golfing opportunities in all of those places.... March/April 2014. All suggestions welcomed.,
Dave

Thanks

Any of the big name courses in Scotland would be an awesome experience. I always loved heading to central Scotland and playing a course called Crieff. Beautiful! I wish I could give you more suggestions but it was so long ago now that I can't remember any of th names, lol.

Malemotives - Hi! Thanks for your service in keeping us safe.

So - in terms of the UK leg. What plans do you have? What timeframes? How far do you want to travel? Is Mrs Malemotives a golfer or do we need to find alternative diversions?

Close to Mildenhall is Woburn. The Club that gave the world Ian Poulter. Three excellent courses. 90 minutes or so North - you have the Belfry (complete with spa and hotel) Ryder Cup venue. Scotland has literally thousands of courses - some that you will have heard of - and some that you will not. At all points of the compass from Mildenhall - there are all types of courses - and THP'ers who will gladly tee it up with you. Tell me what you are looking for - and we will get it done.

Marquee courses, hidden gems or simple fun days out - the choice is yours Sir.

Malemotives, like EB has stated, you will not be short of somewhere to bash some balls in the UK, and if he and I have anything to do with it you will not be short of someone to share 18 holes with either.

All we need to know is when you plan to be here.

I will see EB this weekend so will have a chat with him.

Yep I am sure we can throw something together here.

Needs to be a Saturday/Sunday for me as I am all out of annual leave. Happy to travel pretty much anywhere either day or can provide some local suggestions if Essex is popular with anyone else.

Yep I am sure we can throw something together here.

Needs to be a Saturday/Sunday for me as I am all out of annual leave. Happy to travel pretty much anywhere either day or can provide some local suggestions if Essex is popular with anyone else.

March / April 2014...Spring Cup 14?:beauty:

Malemotives - Hi! Thanks for your service in keeping us safe.

So - in terms of the UK leg. What plans do you have? What timeframes? How far do you want to travel? Is Mrs Malemotives a golfer or do we need to find alternative diversions?

Close to Mildenhall is Woburn. The Club that gave the world Ian Poulter. Three excellent courses. 90 minutes or so North - you have the Belfry (complete with spa and hotel) Ryder Cup venue. Scotland has literally thousands of courses - some that you will have heard of - and some that you will not. At all points of the compass from Mildenhall - there are all types of courses - and THP'ers who will gladly tee it up with you. Tell me what you are looking for - and we will get it done.

Marquee courses, hidden gems or simple fun days out - the choice is yours Sir.

Thanks.... Yes, the Missus is a golfer and, more often than not will take to the course with me. Our time is flexible. Since we are traveling military space available, it has to be. Debbie lived in England for 4 years so she will definitely want to spend time there. I've never been so I'm open for learning... but fun golf is a must part of my agenda. So are such side trips as visiting Salisbury and Stonehenge.

Thanks.... Yes, the Missus is a golfer and, more often than not will take to the course with me. Our time is flexible. Since we are traveling military space available, it has to be. Debbie lived in England for 4 years so she will definitely want to spend time there. I've never been so I'm open for learning... but fun golf is a must part of my agenda. So are such side trips as visiting Salisbury and Stonehenge.

Well then, it looks like we might be in business! As luck would have it, I live adjacent to Salisbury and Stonehenge. So that leg should be straightforward. We can certainly get you to both those places as well as out on my home course at Tidworth...I need to walk my dog, but I'll post more later....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hi malemotives, I am more than happy to help out. I'm based south and east of London and like El B said we can access any kind of golf you would like. Not too far from me are some classic links like Princes, Royal St George's and Littlestone to name a few.

Enjoy the trip planning and let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you are going to England, all I can say is....

St. Andrews.

If you are going to England, all I can say is....

St. Andrews.

It is a long way from London to St Andrews.....especially if you want to drive....7+ hours :alien:

Sounds like an absolute awesome trip Malemotives!

Try to play St Leon Rot probably the best course in Germany and its less than 90 Minutes from Ramstein. It is owned by the founder of SAP and has the best practice facilites anywhere. They also used to host a European Tour event which Tiger won a few times and had only good things to say about the course. And it is open for greenfee players and not that expensive.

Thanks all... and keep the suggestions coming. I am taking notes and mapping out plans.

Hi El Bandito, I'm malemotive's wife Debs . I lived in Harrogate for a year and Pateley Bridge, N. Yorks. for over 6 years. I didn't play when I was there. I only re-started this past spring after a 16 year hiatus, but I am once again enjoying the game.

I've been many places in England, but never had the pleasure of seeing Stonehenge...or Wiltshire or Hampshire, for that matter. I'm looking forward to hearing more about golf and attractions in your part of the world.

Back