Albatros/double eagle ?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
Why is it in America they call an albatros a double eagle? That doesn't even make sense? A double eagle implies -4 on one hole. Its not a rant or attack on Americans, its a simple question, just guarding against the over sensitive people that sometimes reply. Lol.

Last edited:
Why is it in America they call an albatros a double eagle? That doesn't even make sense? A double birdie implies -4 on one hole. Its not a rant or attack on Americans, its a simple question, just guarding against the over sensitive people that sometimes reply. Lol.
I believe it all started when the "shot heard round the world" was refered to as a "double eagle" in the newspaper the following day. Because of the importance of that shot and it being at the Masters the name has stuck. I will say that albatros sounds a lot cooler.

You're math is a lil off: birdie= -1, double= ×2, thus -1 +-1 = -2. Just saying. And sayings in America is never accurate. :)

tappin from my big as note2

Just a term like birdie, bogie, eagle or par. Nothing more nothing less.

There's an article here http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/double-eagle-is-a-misnomer/ that traces it to Sarazen at the Masters.

Best line in there is from Harrington - ''There's no such thing in life as a double eagle. Is there? Two eagles side by side are two eagles, not a double eagle. You don't refer to animals ... 'Oh, I just saw a double elephant over there.' There's no doubting what it is. It's an albatross.''

I never heard the term double eagle until I was in my early 20s. I'll worry about what to call it if I ever get one.

You're math is a lil off: birdie= -1, double= ×2, thus -1 +-1 = -2. Just saying. And sayings in America is never accurate. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, late at night here in NZ. Time for a Milo then bed me thinks.

Why is it in America they call an albatros a double eagle? That doesn't even make sense? A double eagle implies -4 on one hole. Its not a rant or attack on Americans, its a simple
question, just guarding against the over sensitive people that sometimes reply. Lol.

What do you call +2 on a hole, Double Bogey.... Same concept

Albatross = -3
Eagle = -2
Birdie = -1

Therefore a double eagle would be 2x-2=-4=Condor, not an albatross.

I've had a double par on a hole. But that isn't the same thing I reckon.

Thanks jon.sillito
Good to see someone gets what I mean.

What do you call +2 on a hole, Double Bogey.... Same concept

yeah but that makes sense since a bogey is a +1 and double that is +2

Whenever I get one I just call it an albatross, but I'm sort of a traditionalist.

Whenever I get one I just call it an albatross, but I'm sort of a traditionalist.

Hahahahhaha, a, I get so many I don't even know how to call them!

Whatever you call it, you've got to make good golf shots to get one.

I don't care what anyone calls it. I know what they are talking about.

I prefer Albatross a double eagle sounds strange to me. They don't happen very often so it's not really a concern. When I get one I will be a member of two Albatross clubs.

You are correct. By definition mathematically, it would be a hole-in-one on a Par 5. I heard Callaway's Rhiona Sullivan refer to an Albatross as a double eagle today. Having made one, I refer to it as an Albatross. A double eagle is an old American gold coin, worth $20 face value. Today they can sell for $1500 to upwards of $4000.

An Alby warrants a 'Great GOLF shot'!

I see what you did there, I'm not biting, I will not bite, I shall not bite, I will not bite................
Of course it's a great golf shot, it's obviously not a cricket shot, baseball or other shot. Couldn't help myself, now I'm angry and ned to find the cat so I can kick it :laughing:

One day when all the stars align and if I manage to get one ill let you know what I yell out haha. But probably will dam that's an albie F#*& yeah.:banana:

You are correct. By definition mathematically, it would be a hole-in-one on a Par 5.
Isn't that called an Ostrich?

An Albatross in golf is called an Albatross because it's a rare bird.

A double eagle is an old American gold coin, worth $20 face value. Today they can sell for $1500 to upwards of $4000.
Maybe the term Double eagle was named for the amount of the bet that was settled with a -3 shot.

Isn't that called an Ostrich?

An Albatross in golf is called an Albatross because it's a rare bird.

Maybe the term Double eagle was named for the amount of the bet that was settled with a -3 shot.

Actually it's called a Condor.

If I go -3 on a hole, I will call it anything I want.

Back