Callaway uPro MX+ Update

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all,

I am having some issues with my Upro MX+ and called in to tech support. They handled my issue & are replacing my unit, but the tech did tell me something important.

He said Callaway is getting out of the GPS business. They will continue to support the device until December 31, 2014, but after that the webpage goes down and the support will not continue. I think the upro MX+ was a good device, but has too many issues. This is the 2nd time I am sending it in for a replacement. Callaway support has always been great, but I can see why they are getting out of the business.

Just wanted to give everyone that has the device or is considering getting the device a heads-up.

BG

Hello all,

I am having some issues with my Upro MX+ and called in to tech support. They handled my issue & are replacing my unit, but the tech did tell me something important.

He said Callaway is getting out of the GPS business. They will continue to support the device until December 31, 2014, but after that the webpage goes down and the support will not continue. I think the upro MX+ was a good device, but has too many issues. This is the 2nd time I am sending it in for a replacement. Callaway support has always been great, but I can see why they are getting out of the business.

Just wanted to give everyone that has the device or is considering getting the device a heads-up.

BG
I got mine a couple weeks ago at a very cheap price. What issues were you having? The basic/go mode work great so far. Super fast updates on yardage and I have zero complaints so far. I have yet to download and test any of the Pro stuff. So far I'm content with the basic/go modes since I need basic yardages.

I got mine a couple weeks ago at a very cheap price. What issues were you having? The basic/go mode work great so far. Super fast updates on yardage and I have zero complaints so far. I have yet to download and test any of the Pro stuff. So far I'm content with the basic/go modes since I need basic yardages.

I used the device on Saturday, then when I got home & went to charge it & it would not start charging. Now it will not even turn on. I think it was the same thing that happened before.

Last edited:
I used the device on Saturday, then when I got home & went to charge it & it would not start charging. Now it will not even turn on. I think it was the same think that happened before.

had that same issue. i thought mine had accidentally gotten wet, but obviously sounds like a common issue.

like you, I simply called their support line and they were awesome and replaced my device at no cost, hassle free.

it is a little unfortunate that they'll be discontinuing, as i think the device is a great one.
but maybe with the issues and possible lack of attention from consumers, it's a good decision to drop out.

Well that's a bummer as mine will be arriving today...Would be great if they would keep the site up for users.

I just bought one last week like some others on here for $46. A friend used it today and said it worked great. When the support goes down, I assume the GPS will still work at least. But from the sounds of it, it will probably stop working by 12/31/14. Maybe they will mail me a replacement by then :banghead:

I just bought one last week like some others on here for $46. A friend used it today and said it worked great. When the support goes down, I assume the GPS will still work at least. But from the sounds of it, it will probably stop working by 12/31/14. Maybe they will mail me a replacement by then :banghead:
haha that's what I'm thinking. Should I 'make' mine crap out in December, 2014? Hmmmm.

I bought one near the end of last year when my SkyCaddie died.
Boy was I disappointed. I used it till mid spring this year till I just couldn't take it anymore and put it in the drawer and bought a Bushnell Patriot Pack laser.
I absolutely love that thing.

Just got mine the other day. Figured for 45 bucks what the heck. Used it once in the most basic mode. No issues yet. The battery was very low after one round though.

Just got mine the other day. Figured for 45 bucks what the heck. Used it once in the most basic mode. No issues yet. The battery was very low after one round though.

It's a great deal for $45. After round I am usually at around 30% battery power, but I use pro mode most of the time.

Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at one today at EW. I didn't buy it because I wanted to read some reviews on here first. I might have to pass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

I got mine this May and it has performed well for me.

I did have a similar issue at first where it would not charge, but Callaway support sent me a new battery and it has been fine since.

Hmmm not really what I wanted to hear having just taken delivery of one of these devices over here in the UK.

No issues with mine to date - all seems to work fine. I've downloaded a number of Pro courses but also feel that the Go Mode is probably going to be the one that is most useful.

Hmmm not really what I wanted to hear having just taken delivery of one of these devices over here in the UK.

No issues with mine to date - all seems to work fine. I've downloaded a number of Pro courses but also feel that the Go Mode is probably going to be the one that is most useful.

I have had mine for 2/3 years now. Just broke it in Vegas at the THP/Bridgestone tournament, not real sure how, but I ordered a new one on ebay. There are some quirky things that happen with this game from time to time, but it still performs pretty good overall.
If they shut the support down in 2014, I guess I just move on to something else. I will be able to say that I got my moneys worth though. It really has been a decent gas unit for me, that is why I purchased this new unit.
For those that have not download any of the Pro courses, try it. Yes, the basic mode works fine, but you really should take advantage of the Pro mode options. Pin pointing lay up points and hazard edges is very helpful.

Just to be clear, whatever is loaded on the unit will still work. The only thing that you'll lose at the end of next year is the ability to download new promode courses. The preloaded courses will still be there in basic/go mode.

I guess the word to the wise is to choose what courses you want to have on pro mode carefully.

Just to be clear, whatever is loaded on the unit will still work. The only thing that you'll lose at the end of next year is the ability to download new promode courses. The preloaded courses will still be there in basic/go mode.

I guess the word to the wise is to choose what courses you want to have on pro mode carefully.

How about all the Pro mode courses. I wonder there is a max amount of Pro mode courses moderate you can have.

From what I was told you are correct. The unit will still work, but there will be no support. You will not be able to download any courses, view any your stats or any courses online, or get any technical support if your unit is not working.

How about all the Pro mode courses. I wonder there is a max amount of Pro mode courses moderate you can have.

Having just synced mine from new and installed 15 or 20 courses, it seems the capacity of the device is roughly about 800MB. I would guess you could get at the very least 60-70 courses on the device in Pro mode.

I'll be having a good root through and installing everything that's in my immediate local area as well as many additional courses across the UK. Might as well make use of the facility whilst it's there.

I guess I will load up a few more. I have about 25-30 now. Maybe try and get some of the courses that I think I will play in the future.

All - Got my new uPro on the mail yesterday. I just updated the latest update and m pro mode courses.

Also, I updated the most recent update and it has the "shot mark" feature with gives the capability to measure you shot.

Callaway gives great support! TWO THUMBS up for them!

It's a shame they don't just freeze the website and permit Pro downloads indefinitely. That wouldn't be so pensive to do while discontinuing SW updates and HW support.

Played 27 today and the first time out with the mx+, have to say I definitely prefer my smart phone app over it. Unit is slow and cumbersome at times, plus around 17 the GPS signal was lost and had to restart to get it back. No wonder it was only $50.

Last edited:
I've had it now for 2 rounds and it has worked well thus far. After 18, it has been around 35% charge left so doubtful I'd get more than 27 holes in without a charge. One question I have is whether there is a better way to see yardages to various places on a hole. On the fly over view, the only thing I can see are a few colored lines (i.e 100, 150, 200 yards out from middle of green). Is that as specific as it will get?

I believe the official statement is 50. I don't know if that is a limitation of the storage on the unit or if it's enforced by software (on the unit or web site). I know that people with the original upro have had the same limitation and it wouldn't let you go over 50.

As an aside, where are people finding mx+ for 50? Was that just the watts deal (they're out) or somewhere else?

Back