General questions about grips...

DaBuckBoys

Reaction score
First off never replaced a grip on any club. Also never felt like I wore a grip down. I've played my Burner irons for 3 seasons now, 30 - 40 rounds per season with the stock grips. I'm assuming the stock grips are highly durable but lacking in the feel or comfort an upgraded or premium grip provides. I have strong hands but use a pretty light grip. None of the clubs really show any wear, pitching wedge, 9I, none of 'em. Comparing the grip points to non-contact places & I can't tell much difference.

So two questions. Replacing them with a mid-quality replacement, am I doing that much for my game?

2nd, If I tackle this myself, biggest worry is getting them aligned properly. SHould I worry or just drop the $ & have it done. Local guy is probably reasonable. I bought a set of Lamkins for $35...

My first thought is you may want to buy a container of Gripes and give them a good cleaning. Many report their grips recover nicely and get tacky after the cleaning with that product.

Most common thing I've heard about replacing grips is every 40 rounds or once a year

Yeah - I wonder if thats norm for nice set of aftermarket grips or what? I've got 100+ round on these. Not much range time. Maybe 20 ~ 60 ball buckets or so... and I'd say they've got 90% of their life left -if not more. I've seen guys wear 'em out. One buddy doesn't replace his driver grip until its down to the bare shaft. Sounds painful, I know, but it looks worse. He plays it like a badge of honor but I know its good for 5 tee shots oob and will take his money every time!

I wash mine up pretty good in soap & water every other month. Maybe I'm not that finicky... I'd like to take advantage of something as simple as a better grip but not sure its gonna be all that...

I watched a few videos on doing grip replacement yourself. Not really challenging. I bought my supplies at Golf Smith as they had the best prices. Edwin Watts sell gripping supplies too but GS sells in bulk and is a lot cheaper that way.

Lamkin sells grip cleaning wipes that I've heard work really well.

From my knowledge TaylorMade uses Winn grips for the Burner clubs, at least that's what was on my Burner 2.0 set. They aren't bad, but do lack in tackiness and don't preform well in wet or sweaty conditions.

From my knowledge TaylorMade uses Winn grips for the Burner clubs, at least that's what was on my Burner 2.0 set. They aren't bad, but do lack in tackiness and don't preform well in wet or sweaty conditions.

Yeah... I've had a few times where sweaty gloves are an issue. But I do the glove rotation thing and it seems to work. Didn't know they were likely Winns. I'll fight an overgrip-hook at times when they are wet but not too often.

Last edited:
First off never replaced a grip on any club. Also never felt like I wore a grip down. I've played my Burner irons for 3 seasons now, 30 - 40 rounds per season with the stock grips. I'm assuming the stock grips are highly durable but lacking in the feel or comfort an upgraded or premium grip provides. I have strong hands but use a pretty light grip. None of the clubs really show any wear, pitching wedge, 9I, none of 'em. Comparing the grip points to non-contact places & I can't tell much difference.

So two questions. Replacing them with a mid-quality replacement, am I doing that much for my game?

2nd, If I tackle this myself, biggest worry is getting them aligned properly. SHould I worry or just drop the $ & have it done. Local guy is probably reasonable. I bought a set of Lamkins for $35...

The fact that your asking means it's probably time to replace them. I'm not certain that it will help but I am certain that it will not hurt.

Regripping is about the easiest repair you can do yourself. It doesn't cost a lot and it has it's own reward / satisfaction of knowing you did them yourself. All you need is 2-sided grip tape, a box cutter knife, mineral spirits and a little time (a vice is very handy because it gives you a third hand). Regarding alignment, you have ample time to reposition the grip after you get it on the shaft. Just use lots of mineral spirits and line-'em-up they way YOU want them...

The fact that your asking means it's probably time to replace them. I'm not certain that it will help but I am certain that it will not hurt.

Regripping is about the easiest repair you can do yourself. It doesn't cost a lot and it has it's own reward / satisfaction of knowing you did them yourself. All you need is 2-sided grip tape, a box cutter knife, mineral spirits and a little time (a vice is very handy because it gives you a third hand). Regarding alignment, you have ample time to reposition the grip after you get it on the shaft. Just use lots of mineral spirits and line-'em-up they way YOU want them...

I'll echo the comments above. Regripping is easy and fun. It is also alot less expensive than having it done. They also make "non-toxic" solvent and tape products as well.

I purchased a set of Pure DTX Midsize grips about a month ago and installation was very simple. The thing with Pure Grips the use of tape is not required. I have been using them and have not had any issues with the grips feeling slippery etc.

Back