Ignore or fix asap?

jimnycricket65

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.7
I noticed today that this plastic thingy is slipping away from the club... Can I ignore this or is this dangerous?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367698312772.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367698312772.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
That is called a ferrule. It can come loose like that over time. It could be a sign of your shaft starting to come loose. I would take it to a shop and have it fixed. Or you can use a strong heat gun and then push it back in yourself. Either way it's fixable :)

This happened on my MP-53's and my local club repair guy said to not worry about them unless the club was loose.

That is called a ferrule. It can come loose like that over time. It could be a sign of your shaft starting to come loose. I would take it to a shop and have it fixed. Or you can use a strong heat gun and then push it back in yourself. Either way it's fixable :)

This happened on my MP-53's and my local club repair guy said to not worry about them unless the club was loose.

Cool, I will play it till I am bored at home and whip out my new heat gun specifically purchased for pulling out shaft from putters.

I had this happen to a utility iron. My clubhead spun on contact. I put 6 balls into a pond before I noticed what was happening.

No wonder you played so well last time.. Using an illegal club!!!! :stickbeat:

it might just be the ferrule or it could be the epoxy coming loose

I'd go to a pro and get it fixed. If for nothing other than peace of mind.

Left one looks like the ferrule is loose, right one looks like the shaft and ferrule could be a little loose. That's just going off of pics. Always best to have a pro look at them.

Or you can use a strong heat gun and then push it back in yourself. Either way it's fixable :)

Hope your also advising adding adding new epoxy (after cleaning out both the club head and the shaft) if your going to use a heat gun...

Hope your also advising adding adding new epoxy (after cleaning out both the club head and the shaft) if your going to use a heat gun...
Agree with this, once the old epoxy is heated up, it's useless. Best to start over fresh.

Cool, I will play it till I am bored at home and whip out my new heat gun specifically purchased for pulling out shaft from putters.

I'm thinking about getting one. Have you used yours yet, and what do you think? I'm wondering if the cheap, Harbor Freight version will handle the minimal jobs I'll need it for. Mainly pulling shafts and replacing hockey blades every once in a while.

I'm thinking about getting one. Have you used yours yet, and what do you think? I'm wondering if the cheap, Harbor Freight version will handle the minimal jobs I'll need it for. Mainly pulling shafts and replacing hockey blades every once in a while.

I have the cheap Harbor Freight one, I think it was $12, and it's plenty hot. It'll get hot enough to melt the ferrule on high....... (don't ask, I just wasn't paying attention)

This happened to an old set of cobra irons I used to play. I just took them to one of the local shops, and they fixed me up for cheap.

This happened on my JPX-800s so I guess it could be a Mizuno thing. I never got it fixed and it was fine.

You can get an open end wrench (likely a 3/8) that pretty exactly fits the shaft and, pressing it on the top of the ferrule, tap it gently down with a small hammer. I wouldn't use heat. I would avoid glue on the ferrule as well, because once you glue it you will likely have to destroy it to remove it at a future time. You can also buff the ferrule with a soft cloth and probably warm it enough that as it cools afterward it sticks in position.

most of the time it slips out due to repeated & frequent use over a long period of time but there is a chance the epoxy might not be holding the shaft in tightly anymore. I would take it to a golf shop just to be safe

Glad I came across this, I had noticed my nine iron was doing the same thing, but was planning on ignoring it. Guess its time for a trip to the pro shop.

One thing to check for when this happens is to make sure the head hasn't already moved from it's original position...when ferrules come loose the shaft can turn and even a degree or 2 will throw the ball well offline when it's hit.

I noticed today that this plastic thingy is slipping away from the club... Can I ignore this or is this dangerous?

Finally needed to get something fixed and asked about this... Golfsmith guy said take crazy glue to it...

I had a putter that I went from putting well with to three putting from everywhere. Turn out the shaft was loose and was turning slightly every time I putted. Finally noticed it during a round and had it fixed that night.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Usually isn't a big deal unless the shaft is loose as well. A local shop can take a look or you could glue it back in yourself...

I tried heating up my gap wedge to push the ferrule back down all it did was sort of melt the when I tried to push it in. Will be getting these repaired at a golf shop. Wish I could do it myself never attempted it

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

I tried heating up my gap wedge to push the ferrule back down all it did was sort of melt the when I tried to push it in. Will be getting these repaired at a golf shop. Wish I could do it myself never attempted it

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Too much heat! If you're using a torch it's gotta almost be like you're fanning it fast. I wonder if a hairdryer would be more effective?

Back