Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

No one will disagree there, but having sponsor input would've helped a ton of guys down there his year.

TTing

That was available to them. All they had to do was speak with their tour rep and that rep would get any info wanted. Some people used that process quite a bit, others did not. The choice was theirs and was outlined we thought pretty well in the original message sent.

Thanks Cookie. I think it would help the players too. Sometimes when purchasing equipment we let our egos/emotions move us to equipment that might not be best for us. This would let the sponsor get each player into the best equipment for them and then use sponsor day to explain why.

I agree with you completely.

Man, how would anyone not interact with their tour rep. Once in a lifetime chance.

Man, how would anyone not interact with their tour rep. Once in a lifetime chance.

Morgan was my tour rep, and interact with her whenever I see her :act-up:

That's what I'm sayin.... The pros do it on a weekly basis. They are constantly adapting to equipment changes with their sponsors and they have big money on the line.

After reading majority of the posts here and following the past couple Morgan cups as well as watching the videos over and over all I can say is let's keep things in perspective. The Morgan cup is a competition however the way I perceive the cup is also about the camaraderie and being able to find the inner strength to rise above on a personal level to not only represent yourself and your team but to represent the manufacturer to the best of your ability and then some .
If I were lucky enough to be chosen I can tell you this much , it doesn't matter who's team I'm on or who i am representing .. One thing is for sure that I will leave absolutely everything I have out there. That is Morgan cup tradition and that is the reason why you see tears and hugs everywhere.

That was available to them. All they had to do was speak with their tour rep and that rep would get any info wanted. Some people used that process quite a bit, others did not. The choice was theirs and was outlined we thought pretty well in the original message sent.

This is so true. I used my tour rep quite a bit. I also spent time chatting it up with other THPers who had more equipment and shaft knowledge than I did and I feel like I learned a ton from it. I think that I made almost all really solid decisions and couldn't have been happier with my setup during the event.

This is so true. I used my tour rep quite a bit. I also spent time chatting it up with other THPers who had more equipment and shaft knowledge than I did and I feel like I learned a ton from it. I think that I made almost all really solid decisions and couldn't have been happier with my setup during the event.

Weird. You guys won too. Coincidence?

I would give anything to have access to a tour rep. I'm sure there are a lot of tweaks in my equipment, especially shafts, that need to be done to maximize them to fit my swing. If only my current cash flow situation to get the right equipment for my swing matched my desire, I may be able to get close to the scratch range. If I am lucky enough to get into the MC in 2014, whoever my tour rep is would probably get sick of talking to me!

That's what I'm sayin.... The pros do it on a weekly basis. They are constantly adapting to equipment changes with their sponsors and they have big money on the line.

After reading majority of the posts here and following the past couple Morgan cups as well as watching the videos over and over all I can say is let's keep things in perspective. The Morgan cup is a competition however the way I perceive the cup is also about the camaraderie and being able to find the inner strength to rise above on a personal level to not only represent yourself and your team but to represent the manufacturer to the best of your ability and then some .
If I were lucky enough to be chosen I can tell you this much , it doesn't matter who's team I'm on or who i am representing .. One thing is for sure that I will leave absolutely everything I have out there. That is Morgan cup tradition and that is the reason why you see tears and hugs everywhere.

Great summation of what The Morgan Cup is all about. I think the camaraderie point is key. Without the great family feel that the MC '13 participants showed toward one another we likely would not be having a MC '14 as it would have morphed into something else.

Having a tour rep would be like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for me. Of course, they'd be tired of me asking a thousand questions a minute....but I think after a few hours I'd bump it down to half of that :p

After letting this announcement settle in my head. I welcome the changes and I think it'll be for the better- I can see it now the guys opening boxes and then being able to give initial thoughts on video of the appearances and everything and then hitting on the range being able to give first impressions rather then updating the equipment thread for 6 months or however long it was.

I think this is a benefit to the Morgan cup and I'm anxious to see how well it does work.

I like the change. Just makes for even more anticipation for the event. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to get in this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

This will be an interesting change. Without the ability for teams to test and acclimate to the new equipment over time prior to the event, the winning sponsor can claim a greater role in the victory than before.

Cool.

This will be an interesting change. Without the ability for teams to test and acclimate to the new equipment over time prior to the event, the winning sponsor can claim a greater role in the victory than before.

Cool.

Just like in past years, each team will have players sponsored by every company.

The more I think about this change the more I like it. Josh had a great example yesterday about the Optiforce and how Callaway would have loved to get it into people's hands prior to the event but couldn't quite make it happen. With the extra few months now to work with, there could be a very real possibility* that people could have pre-released equipment fit to their specs waiting for them at the driving range that Friday. How freakin cool would THAT be to look in your bag and you're the very first people outside of the company to see and hit a company's brand new line of clubs?

* Disclaimer: I have no inside or outside knowledge of any of that, but used that as an example. No one send me messages asking what Callaway, Taylormade, or Cobra is coming out with because I don't know!

The more I think about this change the more I like it. Josh had a great example yesterday about the Optiforce and how Callaway would have loved to get it into people's hands prior to the event but couldn't quite make it happen. With the extra few months now to work with, there could be a very real possibility* that people could have pre-released equipment fit to their specs waiting for them at the driving range that Friday. How freakin cool would THAT be to look in your bag and you're the very first people outside of the company to see and hit a company's brand new line of clubs?

* Disclaimer: I have no inside or outside knowledge of any of that, but used that as an example. No one send me messages asking what Callaway, Taylormade, or Cobra is coming out with because I don't know!

Pm inbound Dude lol.

Just like in past years, each team will have players sponsored by every company.

Well there goes my theory. :alien:

Watching this one close. Wondering how much of my soul I'm willing to sell for a birth. Probably all of it. :)

I've always liked that small detail, it's cool to have sponsor mates that aren't on your team, it was fun bonding with Team Cobra on the range during media day last year!!!

I think the biggest learning curve would've if someone is going to completely different shafts in their woods or irons, irons can be learned quickly, finding the sweet spot, turf interaction with the sole, mishits and such, but woods would be a totally different game, high, low, left, right, new misses, new trajectory, tee it high, low. All in all it should be a smooth process for most but some will naturally struggle and it may be the lower capper the more I think about it.

Last edited:

Lol, welcome to the Morgan Cup captain! Haha. That made me laugh.

Agreed Ward, the absolute awesomeness of the possibility of being on of the first to see a club for the first time and to be the firsts outside of the company to put it in play would be so awesome.

I can see it now walking down to the range and to your tour rep and seeing a LM there a bunch of heads (varying lofts) and a bag full of shafts would be mind blowing.

Yep I'm a dreamer.

I played with a bag full of new to me clubs this weekend I received at the course. No issues, it's still golf.

Bring it.

I played with a bag full of new to me clubs this weekend I received at the course. No issues, it's still golf.

Bring it.

Awesome..people sweating the small stuff

Back