TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I'm having a hard time locating a launch monitor so I can bring legit numbers to the table. Closest golfsmith to me is an hour + from my house. Golf Galaxy is closer but their monitors only show ball speed launch and distance. Plus they always give people a hard time when they come in just for the monitor. I have a few calls out I'm hoping to hear from. I'm off the next five days and plan on doing a lot of testing

They always did this to me as well. I always had to come in under the pretense of shopping for clubs. I do not like Golf Galaxy.

Good to hear you guys are having great success with this thing! I know when I hit it I ended up with a lot of low hooks, but I'm sure I didn't have it dialed in correctly. Plus I was swinging the 10.5* adjusted up, when in reality I probably should have gone for the 12* considering I currently use a 10.5* (the whole going up in loft thing).

I bought a 10.5 tp 6.3 TS. I had everything at standard for the first round. I noted a higher trajectory then I liked. I since then dropped loft a degree and the weight is two notches In the draw setting. This gives me flat out bombs. Is it longer than the r11s, not necessarily. Straighter, definitely. Forgiveness wise, low shots still get out there. Toe shots are not as forgiving. Feel wise, best TM has made in many years. The speeder TS is silky smooth and gives a piercing trajectory. Thought I would chime in.

I bought a 10.5 tp 6.3 TS. I had everything at standard for the first round. I noted a higher trajectory then I liked. I since then dropped loft a degree and the weight is two notches In the draw setting. This gives me flat out bombs. Is it longer than the r11s, not necessarily. Straighter, definitely. Forgiveness wise, low shots still get out there. Toe shots are not as forgiving. Feel wise, best TM has made in many years. The speeder TS is silky smooth and gives a piercing trajectory. Thought I would chime in.

Great info and seem to follow the trend.

Love your input. I have the exact same SLDR and I'm going from an R11s as well. I've yet to get out on a course with it to test the true distance but I'm right with you on your take

Purchased the SLDR in 9.5* and got it on the range today. Hit about 30 balls with the stock Speeder stiff shaft, felt really good. I could definitely see an increase in distance, dispersion was good, not really any different from my R9 though. I kept it in the standard setting for that test. I then swapped in a Project X 6.0 which I use for my R1 and R9. First couple swings were flat out bombs, I was shocked at the ball flight and distance over my R9. I hit about 10-15 balls in the standard setting, then messed with the weight. I moved it 2 positions towards the draw and everything was left, moved it back 1 position toward the neutral setting and as expected it moved the flight back right. After about 30 balls, I went back to the neutral setting and left it there for the rest of the session. In the standard 9.5* and neutral weight position I was satisfied. Tomorrow I may try and fool with the loft and try a position or two towards fade. But after 1 range session I felt like it was a good purchase for myself. Tomorrows round will be the true indicator though. Playing the same course I have been playing for 8 days straight so I know exactly where I should be in the fairway with the R9 and will see now with the SLDR.

Purchased the SLDR in 9.5* and got it on the range today. Hit about 30 balls with the stock Speeder stiff shaft, felt really good. I could definitely see an increase in distance, dispersion was good, not really any different from my R9 though. I kept it in the standard setting for that test. I then swapped in a Project X 6.0 which I use for my R1 and R9. First couple swings were flat out bombs, I was shocked at the ball flight and distance over my R9. I hit about 10-15 balls in the standard setting, then messed with the weight. I moved it 2 positions towards the draw and everything was left, moved it back 1 position toward the neutral setting and as expected it moved the flight back right. After about 30 balls, I went back to the neutral setting and left it there for the rest of the session. In the standard 9.5* and neutral weight position I was satisfied. Tomorrow I may try and fool with the loft and try a position or two towards fade. But after 1 range session I felt like it was a good purchase for myself. Tomorrows round will be the true indicator though. Playing the same course I have been playing for 8 days straight so I know exactly where I should be in the fairway with the R9 and will see now with the SLDR.

Which Speeder came with your SLDR?

Speeder 57. I've never had much luck with the lighter weight shafts.

I think that's the shaft that War Eagle is testing. I may be wrong but I think it is

Correct. That is the shaft in my SLDR

Have you had enough time to compare the Speeder with the Diamana you have in the OptiForce?

I started messing with the weight setting last night at the range just to see what it would do and how much it really affected shot shape. I currently have it at the second to last draw position, so I moved it all the way out to fade to have some fun. I thought my slice was bad when I swung too hard, but man does this thing slice with my swing combined with the weight on the fade setting. Most every shot I hit like this was a push slice, but there were a few that started out straight and then curved. This obviously isn't my ideal setting, but it was interesting to see that the weight does actually produce the results as described.

One other thing I noticed: the club is more forgiving towards whatever side the weight is on. I don't know if this is a coincidence or just how I was perceiving the feel of the club, but it sure seemed that when the weight was out at the toe, mishits on the toe were more forgiving and mishits on the heel were a little more harsh, and vice versa. This is something I may take a look at again the next time I'm at the range as I kind of discovered it by dumb luck.

Great reviews guys. I actually went in to a local Golf Galaxy after playing 18 and started hitting the SLDR for about 20 mins. I felt it was a little light for my liking at the 57g. I didnt have many quality swings at all. My miss is usually left and on the monitor I was not squaring up the club face and was missing everything right. I am thinking of either going to local Edwin Watts in Doral, FL or Golfsmith up in Ft Lauderdale, FL to test out different settings and shaft options. I am really wanting to like this driver as everything about it makes sense and seems like a club that would help me out as I tend to be a high spin player. If any of you guys have a place down here in South Florida that you highly recommend for fitting please let me know. Thanks again guys

I can understand what your saying Chi6. The stock set up did not work for me (and I love the 6.3). I felt it was too light with a 57g shaft. I feel that the driver is light to begin with so a little more weight via shaft helped me compensate for wanting to whip that thing around. I could have even went to a 70g shaft in this head.

With regards to the weight. This is no gimmick like I kind of felt with the pervious models. 10 and 1g weights did not seem to me as beneficial in trying to optimize ball flight, in stock set up. The SLDR with 20g that moves seems more realistic (yes it has worked for me superbly). I think you will see this system in place for awhile. It just works.

I can understand what your saying Chi6. The stock set up did not work for me (and I love the 6.3). I felt it was too light with a 57g shaft. I feel that the driver is light to begin with so a little more weight via shaft helped me compensate for wanting to whip that thing around. I could have even went to a 70g shaft in this head.

With regards to the weight. This is no gimmick like I kind of felt with the pervious models. 10 and 1g weights did not seem to me as beneficial in trying to optimize ball flight, in stock set up. The SLDR with 20g that moves seems more realistic (yes it has worked for me superbly). I think you will see this system in place for awhile. It just works.

I haven't taken a swing with the 57g speeder but it seems like that's the general consensus. As far as your take on the weight. I couldn't agree more. Seems like the 1g and 10g weight didn't benefit me as much. And with the setting changes effecting the face angle at address, the r11s I gamed just always stayed in neutral which I know wasn't right for me. The SLDR though is 100% right for me

Your guys' experiences just goes to show how important a shaft fitting can be. I'm also liking the single 20g weight as opposed to the 10g and 1g weights on previous models.

Saint Augustine has been like Seattle for the last 3 days. Hoping to get out this afternoon again and spend some time with this Low-spin beast. Will post tonight if I can get out.

Saint Augustine has been like Seattle for the last 3 days. Hoping to get out this afternoon again and spend some time with this Low-spin beast. Will post tonight if I can get out.

Great to hear. I have tee times the next three days so I'll be having some on course input coming shortly

I started messing with the weight setting last night at the range just to see what it would do and how much it really affected shot shape. I currently have it at the second to last draw position, so I moved it all the way out to fade to have some fun. I thought my slice was bad when I swung too hard, but man does this thing slice with my swing combined with the weight on the fade setting. Most every shot I hit like this was a push slice, but there were a few that started out straight and then curved. This obviously isn't my ideal setting, but it was interesting to see that the weight does actually produce the results as described.

One other thing I noticed: the club is more forgiving towards whatever side the weight is on. I don't know if this is a coincidence or just how I was perceiving the feel of the club, but it sure seemed that when the weight was out at the toe, mishits on the toe were more forgiving and mishits on the heel were a little more harsh, and vice versa. This is something I may take a look at again the next time I'm at the range as I kind of discovered it by dumb luck.

I'm glad you did. It really does make a crazy positive difference (when in the right setting).

Also, the fact that you have that much freedom to adjust the weight without changing anything on the face angle or loft? Brilliant.

Just found out what I thought was a three-day weekend is actually a four-day weekend, so I'll get some range time and a round in on Friday. Yes! More golfing! Will also be nice to see how the SLDR performs now that I've had a few days off from beating buckets of golf balls like I did all last weekend. Going to really try and take my time to make good swings now that I've got a good sense of how this driver moves compared to my usual gamer.

I haven't taken a swing with the 57g speeder but it seems like that's the general consensus. As far as your take on the weight. I couldn't agree more. Seems like the 1g and 10g weight didn't benefit me as much. And with the setting changes effecting the face angle at address, the r11s I gamed just always stayed in neutral which I know wasn't right for me. The SLDR though is 100% right for me

It's funny, I thought this as well, but I switched them to a draw bias this past week just out of curiosity, since I've been leaving stuff a little right. Really seemed to make the thing feel more solid, and while I don't really have a draw, my ballflight is much straighter for the most part - I don't lose it right nearly as badly. I also adjusted the loft up a tick in order to compensate for the draw bias, FWIW.

Gonna have to try this driver. Hearing the low side spin interests me

Any of you guys lefties? My SLDR has RH on the tip. The more I tried to adjust the loft higher the lower the ball would go. If it is for rightys, I would need to go the opposite way, right?

Any of you guys lefties? My SLDR has RH on the tip. The more I tried to adjust the loft higher the lower the ball would go. If it is for rightys, I would need to go the opposite way, right?
That could make sense. My best advice would be to hit the range and tinker a bit to find the setting that gets you the ball flight you desire.

Have you had enough time to compare the Speeder with the Diamana you have in the OptiForce?
I need a bit more time to give a direct comparison on the two.
I'm glad you did. It really does make a crazy positive difference (when in the right setting).

Also, the fact that you have that much freedom to adjust the weight without changing anything on the face angle or loft? Brilliant.
The sliding weight on the bottom is such a brilliant idea. It just is.

When I was on the range with this one, I tinkered a good bit with the bottom weight and where it was. Initially started off on it at nuetral, and was hitting my typical cut. Not a bad shot by any means, but just what I was expecting. I started moving the weight around, and went all the way to Draw...and what did I see? A slight draw. It impressed me a lot. Each swing with it started straight and drifted to the left.

Then, just because I could, I threw the weight to the right side, on Fade. When you can play a Bubba Cut, and then you put it on that setting, I almost had the feeling the ball was going to circle around and hit me in the back. Wow was it moving. I could only imagine the kind of spin numbers that I was producing here.

But, back to working with this one on the range...

I struggled a bit at first with this one, lower launching than I would expect, and I was a bit disappointing. Later, I pulled out my Amp Cell, and saw more of the same. Immediately I knew it was a swing issue not a club issue (usually is, right?). Fast forward to range session #2 with the SLDR, and I remembered a trick I did with the low spin Classic XL and that was to tee it higher. I started teeing it up higher, and there it was. Good shot, after good shot. Long, good launch, and just a solid feeling club all around. Again, the weight was at Nuetral, as I really want to find my comfort level with this driver a bit before I start focusing on working on it with a draw...but that is up next.

So, with the 12* and nuetral setting, I am seeing some pretty impressive results. Higher ball flight, that I typically would NEVER see with a low spin driver, but I attribute that to me going up to a 12* loft here. Ball is starting straight, and only slight tailing off to the right as it descends on its path. I was quite happy with those results, and only makes me want to get back out there some more and tinker with the SLDR weight on the bottom.

I honestly feel that moving up to a higher loft with the SLDR has made it a more forgiving driver than it would be with a lower loft setting, for me. I have typically struggled with a low spin driver, and with some work with this one, I think the potential is there for me. Will get some good feedback posted up soon with the DRAW setting in full effect.

That is right, you'd go opposite of what it says with a RH tip in a LH head, so lower makes the loft higher and higher lower. I have messed myself up forgetting that a couple times as I have a RH tip on my R11. One of these days I should swap the tip.

Great stuff from all the testers. War when you say teeing it up higher, how much higher up are you saying out of curiousity?

Back