Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

I played with a bag full of new to me clubs this weekend I received at the course. No issues, it's still golf.

Bring it.
This is pretty much how I view it. Heck, I once shot a PB using an iron set for the first time and my best driving round ever was the very first round with the Amp Cell. The opportunity to have the honeymoon period actually be a competition would be awesome IMO lol.

I've always liked that small detail, it's cool to have sponsor mates that aren't on your team, it was fun bonding with Team Cobra on the range during media day last year!!!
I totally agree. Loved the cobra crew this year!

So let's say I was chosen to participate in the Morgan Cup. A major manufacturer is fitting me for equipment AND giving me all of the equipment? I'd be ecstatic and waiting until the start of what appears to have been an AMAZING event would be a-okay with me!! It would be like Christmas!!! I can only imagine how GG and JB will feel watching their THP family getting the equipment! It should be a very proud moment for them and they should be applauded!

So let's say I was chosen to participate in the Morgan Cup. A major manufacturer is fitting me for equipment AND giving me all of the equipment? I'd be ecstatic and waiting until the start of what appears to have been an AMAZING event would be a-okay with me!! It would be like Christmas!!! I can only imagine how GG and JB will feel watching their THP family getting the equipment! It should be a very proud moment for them and they should be applauded!

I was really hoping for the quad exclamation points at the end there. In all seriousness, as someone who watched the live update thread, it isn't just GG and JB, the rest of the place will be buzzing with excitement on that day. I can't even imagine how often the refresh button were betting clicked around the globe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Im a fan of this change. I think it will add more excitement leading up to it for the lucky ones involved.

Just wanted to add some thoughts from
This past week. James and I were both given bags of Amp Cell irons, various woods, putter and Amp Cell driver. I've never gamed any of these clubs and norther had James.

We had no clue on distances, lofts and lie angles. We both played well and hit some stellar shots. The long irons performed so well and I was truly surprised. The point is that we both have different games but gamed the same clubs with no idea of any of the important fitting aspect. I think all 32 will be just fine come next July

The more I think about this change the more I like it. Josh had a great example yesterday about the Optiforce and how Callaway would have loved to get it into people's hands prior to the event but couldn't quite make it happen. With the extra few months now to work with, there could be a very real possibility* that people could have pre-released equipment fit to their specs waiting for them at the driving range that Friday. How freakin cool would THAT be to look in your bag and you're the very first people outside of the company to see and hit a company's brand new line of clubs?

* Disclaimer: I have no inside or outside knowledge of any of that, but used that as an example. No one send me messages asking what Callaway, Taylormade, or Cobra is coming out with because I don't know!

Yes, I played this week with some borrowed clubs and it wasn't terrible at all. Golf is golf and I will bring what I know about me and my game. THe clubs are just my tools. Besides, I firmly believe that (for me) any familiarity with my equipment would be offset by nerves, expectations of representing my team and my equipment company's goods.

What an opportunity.........WoW!

JM

This past week. James and I were both given bags of Amp Cell irons, various woods, putter and Amp Cell driver. I've never gamed any of these clubs and norther had James.

We had no clue on distances, lofts and lie angles. We both played well and hit some stellar shots. The long irons performed so well and I was truly surprised. The point is that we both have different games but gamed the same clubs with no idea of any of the important fitting aspect. I think all 32 will be just fine come next July

32? But only 3 sponsors have been announced ;)

I played with a bag full of new to me clubs this weekend I received at the course. No issues, it's still golf.

Bring it.
Awesome..people sweating the small stuff

I think it's a testament to the event that people share their thoughts and care what/how/where.

In any case, I remember this past year where the various companies sent out clubs at different times.. Leveling the playing field by making sure everyone gets their equipment at the exact same time is the perfect way to do it. Plus, media day is going to be intense (and awesome).

So ur saying there's 32 again ? :D

Just using a past example to prove a point. Right now it's just 1 vs 1, and MAN DO WE GET SOME FUN CLUBS TO HIT!

Oh I know was just heckling fred

Cant wait to see whats in store next week

Sorry to stir the guessing pot, I used the number from last year as it was in my head. Nothing more nothing less

Really solid points Freddy. I've had some good rounds in the past with rental clubs when I had no clue about loft, lie and distances. Clubs given to MC participants at the even will be a much better fit than rentals or demos.

Thanks for the thoughts Freddie. This was a unique experience you and James had to shed some light on the fears of others. Love it bro.

Thanks for the thoughts Freddie. This was a unique experience you and James had to shed some light on the fears of others. Love it bro.

It was the first thing that hit each of us when we saw a foreign to us bag of Cobra gear sitting on our carts. It was a fun experience for me personally.

I also rolled the heeeeeeeeck out of the really really really throwback Cobra anser style putter all day long. Was surprisingly fun, hit some important putts!

It was the first thing that hit each of us when we saw a foreign to us bag of Cobra gear sitting on our carts. It was a fun experience for me personally.

I also rolled the heeeeeeeeck out of the really really really throwback Cobra anser style putter all day long. Was surprisingly fun, hit some important putts!
Love it love it love it awesome pre MC info

That's a really interesting point I hadn't thought of. The couple of times I've played with rental clubs, I have played pretty true to my normal round. I think that situation just makes you swing the club and probably not take as many silly risks or try to do things that you can't really pull off since the familiarity isn't there.

That's a really interesting point I hadn't thought of. The couple of times I've played with rental clubs, I have played pretty true to my normal round. I think that situation just makes you swing the club and probably not take as many silly risks or try to do things that you can't really pull off since the familiarity isn't there.

Totally. Smarter golf

The more I think about this change the more I like it, walking up to the range on Staff Sponsor Day I envision a line of staff bags with the rain covers on them and zipped up hiding the incredible gift that is underneath, you stand there looking across the range at that gorgeous staff bag with your name on it and then like kids on christmas you allowed to go "unwrap" the incredible gift your sponsor has provided for you. :D

That will be a really cool feeling!!

One that I really hope to be a part of come July!

Love it love it love it awesome pre MC info

Let me clear up anything here that may have been confused, it was LITERALLY a throwback putter from when Cobra used to make putters. No pre-MC info in there, I'm a steel trap on 2014 Cobra until embargo lifts. We played with all 2013 and older clubs.

Great idea. Will make it that much more exciting!

Between this and Staff Sponsor day, the 2014 Morgan Cup is going to feel like a very different event for some.
We believe that this will add something unique and special to the event and know now that everybody will be getting their equipment at the exact same time.
This also means that everybody will be able to play the latest and greatest from each company involved.

Between this and Staff Sponsor day, the 2014 Morgan Cup is going to feel like a very different event for some.
We believe that this will add something unique and special to the event and know now that everybody will be getting their equipment at the exact same time.
This also means that everybody will be able to play the latest and greatest from each company involved.

I still see WAY more positives to this than negatives.

Back