Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
Getting shafts for my next set of irons (pretty sure they'll be J40 DPC's). My current shafts are KBS Tour's in X. I like the flex, but i would prefer about 5-10g less weight and if at all possibly just a hair (like 15 feet max) higher launch. Would like to stay in the same price range/area as the Tour's, too.

So, please name a shaft (or two/more), and why you suggest them. Thanks!

edit: no Dynamic Gold, and PX shafts have always gone too high for me. Gotta keep it under the wind!

Last edited:
What did you think of the PX 6.0s in the demo set? Were those flighted?

Sounds like C-Taper Lites may be the ticket for you.

What did you think of the PX 6.0s in the demo set? Were those flighted?
They were flighted. They felt pretty good, i think they were just a bit too soft and light, though.

Aren't those quite expensive right now?

Not sure on the cost, but they're exactly what you described. Lighter than the Tours and slightly higher launching.

They were flighted. They felt pretty good, i think they were just a bit too soft and light, though.

Then go 6.5.

You could also look into Dynamic Gold SL. Will drop the weight that you're looking for and won't cost too much, but I'm not sure it will help you on the launch side of things.

Roughly $30 a shaft if purchased as a set, but really worth it. I love mine.
Yeah i'd like to keep it in the $160-ish range if i can. Or even better, if it's a no-upcharge shaft from Bridgestone.

Then go 6.5.

You could also look into Dynamic Gold SL. Will drop the weight that you're looking for and won't cost too much, but I'm not sure it will help you on the launch side of things.
hate DG shafts, and i've always had a problem with PX shafts going too high. Sorry, shouldve mentioned that.

I would also look at the Dynalite Gold XP X110s that just came out. Higher launching and lighter weight, should be in most Mizuno fitting carts by now

Heads up that shaft is 130g, 5 more than your current gamer.

Heads up that shaft is 130g, 5 more than your current gamer.
Really? Hmm. Maybe it was the head? It felt a bit lighter than what i'm used to.

Yeah i'd like to keep it in the $160-ish range if i can. Or even better, if it's a no-upcharge shaft from Bridgestone.
C-Tapers and Tours are the only KBS offerings available directly from Bridgestone.

What about the new KBS Tour V shafts? Maybe not as high launching as you'd like but I'm sure they're a little lighter than the Tours are?

I would also look at the Dynalite Gold XP X110s that just came out. Higher launching and lighter weight, should be in most Mizuno fitting carts by now

The True Temper website isn't working for me right now for some reason but I was going to recommend the Dynalite Gold X100's.

Good catch. My bad, I must have transposed the numbers.

There are no shafts that Bridgestone offers as options that fit this bill unless they start carrying the C-Taper Lites. Also not carried by them (although they do offer Nippon shafts) but possible to meet your criteria would be the Nippon 1050s or 1150s.

Getting shafts for my next set of irons (pretty sure they'll be J40 DPC's). My current shafts are KBS Tour's in X. I like the flex, but i would prefer about 5-10g less weight and if at all possibly just a hair (like 15 feet max) higher launch. Would like to stay in the same price range/area as the Tour's, too.

So, please name a shaft (or two/more), and why you suggest them. Thanks!

edit: no Dynamic Gold, and PX shafts have always gone too high for me. Gotta keep it under the wind!

Hi. I know you said no dynamic gold, but the new true temper Dynamic Gold PRO (progressive) series is a very nice shaft. Is is so different than the original DG. The weight and trajectory is more toward what you are looking for. There was a review done on Myspygolf.com in July. Written by Matt Saternus.
The KBS C-Taper is available in 5 flexes and weight varies by flex. If you took a C-taper in stiff flex, weight 120 gram then hard stepped 2 times. You get a x flex with less weight.
Cheers.

Hi. I know you said no dynamic gold, but the new true temper Dynamic Gold PRO (progressive) series is a very nice shaft. Is is so different than the original DG. The weight and trajectory is more toward what you are looking for. There was a review done on Myspygolf.com in July. Written by Matt Saternus.
The KBS C-Taper is available in 5 flexes and weight varies by flex. If you took a C-taper in stiff flex, weight 120 gram then hard stepped 2 times. You get a x flex with less weight.
Cheers.

There was also a review done here on these by our very own Jman!!

Boom. Would have to recommend this as well if you want slightly lighter.

Also see if you like the Nippon 1050. I don't believe it'll produce a higher flight, but you may actually like it.

i'm thinking I should go one of two routes:
-just buy a set of irons with whatever shafts, and take the shafts out of my R7's and put them in the DPC's (I think it might be easier to sell the R7's as heads only as well).
-ask my boss what his price would be on the irons (he has an account with every golf brand..).

I think there's a lot to be said for doing option one. Your setup is unique enough that you may have some challenges selling the R7s as they are. You are generally happy with KBS so keep gaming them. If you pull the DPC shafts and put them in the R7s you create a more standard setup which should make it easier to sell them. If you decide you really want different shafts for the DPCs this buys you some time to get the money together. Just my two cents.

Back