Des Moines Outing in October

image_zps4c664488.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Dhartman34

It's like a where's waldo picture.....except waldo totally sticks out from the crowd.

Working on what will likely be a very long post.

~Sir Rock

I see him I see him! That shirt is so bright

Great stuff gentlemen! Nice catching up with the activities this morning. Weather looked good for you!

Weather was better than expected minus early Sunday morning

I see him I see him! That shirt is so bright

no talk of bright shirts can begin without a mention of dhartmann's shirt on sunday. I think they hang those shirts at highway work sites instead of traffic cones. I was wondering what the constant glare from my left side was the entire drive home... and then I remember the shirt!

What a weekend. My awesome wife decided early in the week that if I was caught up at work, I should just head up Friday night. Well, I worked hard, and then got to go up early to play hard. Arrived around 930, had some brews, with FW, LS, Hawk, Bulldog, Manlai and dhartmann. Eventually, we got hungry, and despite many requests for what people wanted, me and bulldog gave up on getting focused responses, and just went and ate at the Village Inn across the street. 20 minutes later, we were back, and everybody was still just hanging out in Bulldog's room.

Arrived to Beaver Creek around 720 Saturday morning. A bit brisk, but as others said, within an hour of the sunrise, it got real nice. Saturday did get pretty windy around 11am and then through the rest of the day. I had moments of greatness, and moments of awful. I really did not putt well until the last 2 holes (out of 36). For Saturday, I shot 94 or 97 in the morning, and then 91 in the afternoon. The afternoon round was crazy. Played absolutely awful on the south course, mostly due to putting, and shot a 50 on the front 9. Then, somewhere, I found my game, and shoot 41 on the back (West Course). And that is why we all keep playing golf, because even after some awful, you still have a chance to find some great shots.

Others explained Saturday night pretty well, and all I can add is that Michigan lost to Penn State. (Just in case you forgot Manlai).

Sunday was a frigid start. Seemed weird to be playing with frost on the tee boxes. But by 930 or so, the sun had been up awhile, and I shed my coat for what was actually a perfect fall golf weather day. My game started off pretty well with a par, then quickly went down hill. Some of it had to do with a lack of knowledge of the course. Like when I hit just past the par 3 green, only to discover there's a big ravine on the back side of it. A lot had to do with just not feeling my swing too well. Had a lot of awful pull hooks. But I birded our 17th hole (which was hole 8, since we started on the back side) and I think I parred the last hole to finish with strong. Highlight of that round for me was zero 3-putts. I know I've said it a lot, but my home course greens are around a 5 for green speed. Somewhere in the 1960's range of size and speed. So when I get to 'modern' course, I usually struggle with putting.

Hawk - It only took 2 years of outings, but we got a round together. Your waggle is pretty much the most awesome thing ever, and its so consistent. It was great playing with you, and enjoyed the conversations at night. Pretty sure we should arrange a mini-get together sometime in the QC, but instead of a hotel, try to rent out the ghetto castle.

TexasHacker - maybe if you'd eaten more food Saturday night, you wouldn't have fallen asleep mid-sentence. You've still got game and a seriously long ball. I'm still not sure about 'my home course.' I guess on the plus side, we could probably get in around 72 holes in a day for the all day price of $25.00. If it happens, I will reciprocate.

Sleuth - I guess our team wasn't so much carried by you. I played decent outside of some blowup holes. You just always seemed to be one stroke better. Your game is solid like always. Enjoy your early mornings.

DonW - trombones are awesome. And evidently, your gigantic high school at 5 different forms of band. Your high school needs to consolidate and be more efficient. One band is all they need. We didn't get to play together, but you seemed in great spirits like always.

Manlai - Sorry for the snoring.....and for waking up with a charlie horse in my calf and yelling out in the middle of the night. Awkward. It was good rooming with you and playing another round with you. You hit the ball so straight 95% of the time, and that was just awesome to watch. Thanks for bringing the challenge coins. I may have to get a set just to spice up my Sunday rounds with my local crowd here. Oh, and I don't know if you saw it, but Michigan lost on Saturday night. Also, thanks for the beer. I didn't think the Shandy-esque beer was that bad.

Bulldog - one of my favorite people to just be around. You still rock dude, whether you play like sh!* or not. Going to the village inn Friday night was a perfect idea. It's awesome every time you make you come to one of these, and everybody loves having you around. We are all lucky to call you a friend, even though you don't like people.

FlyingWedge - laid back, good taste in food, excellent picture taker, rocks shorts at 40 degrees, and a solid golfer. One day we will need to meet up in Des Moines for another round. I'm still not sold on the carpeted bed of your pickup. Fly safe.

LeftySean - that was a huge rack of ribs. We didn't get to play, but you are pretty much the man for making that long of a drive to play golf with us. I will probably never forget that you live in Regina.

Dhartmann - a hole in one....are you serious?!?! That is so awesome dude. Thanks for the cake flavored vodka, that stuff is dangerously tasty. It was fun playing with you and Manlai on Sunday. My game was pretty rough, but I figured it out by the 17th hole. You are also perhaps one of the fastest people when it comes to teeing off. Seriously, I wasn't even out of the cart yet and you've already hit and picked up your tee. We had a lot of fun, and the round seemed like non-stop laughs despite the many poor shots. I'd tee it up with you any day of the week.

I think that's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll slowly remember other fun quotes from the weekend.

~Sir Rock

Dhartmann - You are also perhaps one of the fastest people when it comes to teeing off. Seriously, I wasn't even out of the cart yet and you've already hit and picked up your tee.

This part made me laugh out loud. First time I played with Derek this year, we were kind of chatting, and I was still talking to him. I was right next to him and didn't even realize he hit his ball already, while I was talking, until it was about mid flight.

Nice recap boys. Love being able to read them and catch up on the weekend I missed out on. Sounds like it was an awesome weekend. (Can't say a weekend with THPers is nothing less though :D)

I missed you Jesse.

We all did Jj. Jake and yourself would have had a blast

no talk of bright shirts can begin without a mention of dhartmann's shirt on sunday. I think they hang those shirts at highway work sites instead of traffic cones. I was wondering what the constant glare from my left side was the entire drive home... and then I remember the shirt!

haha. that was pretty bright eh? :)

This part made me laugh out loud. First time I played with Derek this year, we were kind of chatting, and I was still talking to him. I was right next to him and didn't even realize he hit his ball already, while I was talking, until it was about mid flight.

haha....I like to play fast! :) Plus it gives me more time to look for my ball...Lord knows I need it! :)

How to start, how to start……
In person, I’m not a man of too many words…In text, I ramble…Sobear with me….
What an amazing weekend!!!! First THP Event….An ACE….Somefairly ugly golf on my part….Dropping my shorts in the toilet….Seeing a “man vsfood” challenge plate in person…. And did I mention MY FIRST THP EVENT? J

I can certainly say all my visions of who each person was,was insanely WAY off…but in a great way!

Trip started when I pickedup Sam, who I mistakenly thought was going to be a 6’ tall, middle aged Indianguy...Whoops… I was a tad off. But man the drive to Iowa was fun for us thought.Hit it off right away and couldn’t have enjoyed the 6 hour ride more….unless hemaybe didn’t doze off in the middle of talking about the Blackhawks! Whoops.Good thing the game was on the radio.

Met all the guys at the hotel (Days Inn Ankeny….Ummm….Nowords can express how unbelievably NOT high or even middle class, but perfectthis place was). Loved the Waffles andthe beautiful black bottomed tub. Haha.

Bulldog….First glance, I was a little intimidated but youturned out to be such a fantastic guy. Adam Scott has nothing on you…even if hedoes model his swing after yours… Glad you’re still
FlyingWedge….Scott you were just great. Hopefully we get toplay together sometime. You put together some great rounds!! Safe flying and we’llsee you soon.

Sleuth….I met you for a minute on the range and hopefully we’llget to play together in the future. Appreciate the range tokens! Hopefully theguys on the first hole didn’t mind the driver snap hooks I was sending theirway….. J

TexasHacker34- Taylor…man how much fun was this event? HUGEthanks to you for putting a lot of effort into it. Kept navigating each andevery twist and turn that came at you. I think we all agree when I say thankyou so much!! I also want to add that I’m not sure how it went Sunday, but yourdriver swing is so pure! Just HUGE off the tee…especially the back nineSaturday. Keep it up and good luck in the tourney!

DonW…Thanks for hanging with me and Sean for the first roundSaturday. Hopefully you had as much fun as we did. Such great company.

LeftySean…What can I say? You drove an insanely long way togolf with us and hopefully we all made it worth it. Keep working on the gameand hopefully we’ll see you again soon! Thanks for rooming with me too!

Manlai….Sam, thanks for keeping me company on the drive andfor those chicken wings. My tongue is still burnt. Haha. We’ll have to gettogether to play more often since you’re so close. And maybe we can talk allthese THPers to get together a tad closer sometime next summer. And on anothernote…. Sorry about Michigan…Or am I? J

McRock….I’ve never met such a laid back, happy go lucky andcomical guy. That round on Sunday was fantastic. I feel like you could hit 10shot straight into the same lake and then somehow pull a Noodle Distance out ofyour pocket and be happy as a clam. Just a great time out there and I can’thate you anymore for making birdie and taking that coin from me..jk! That was aGREAT putt. All evens out right?

And if I do win the lottery, we’ll go back to college for ayear or two…. But we’ll be able to afford a tad bit more than just beer…and nothave to sell any plasma to get it J

Hawk…. “It went in!” I’ll never forget you saying that afterthe ball rolled in the cup for my ace. Seriously, just a surreal moment. Will probably keep replaying it for the nextcouple of days. Can’t think of a bettergroup to view my first ACE. Just fantastic. I enjoyed the whole weekend and hearing aboutyour hippy days…May have to find that ghetto castle one of these days. Really appreciate you doing all you do for theforum and everyone on it. Loved my firstTHP event and hope I’ll be able to make many more.

Overall, I’d say I’m not sure anything could top my firstTHP event. It almost didn’t happen due to work issues and funerals but I’mthankful it did. It’s amazing to see a bunch of guys that barely know eachother come together to play a game, no matter good or bad, and really just rooteach other on no matter what happens. The happiness my foursome had for me whenthe ball went in for my hole in one was insane. The rest of the groups werejust as happy when they heard….and when they saw us jumping around like crazyon the tee. Saturday was just so muchfun with the 36 holes and everything.

Yesterday, before we left Sam, Sean, Scott and I were talking and I think Scott(FlyingWedge) said it best when he said(roughly) “Ya know, most of us havenever met except for whatever messages are exchanged on the forum. But it’sstill like we’ve known each other for years”. I’m not sure if there is a sport or anything out there that reallyallows people to get together and go through the highs and lows (cause thereare many each round) while also cheering each other on and exchanging jabs backand forth (Hawk and Taylor are like an old married couple) while still beingable to hang out afterwards and not be able to wait to do it again the nexttime. I really appreciate the friends I’ve made and the weekend I had. Evenwithout the hole in one….It’d still be one memorable weekend. Just plainawesome. A really BIG high five andkudos to Taylor for the great gesture he made to LeftySean with the SeeMoreputter. CLASS ACT man. Just awesome.

Thanks to everyone that joined us. I enjoyed every singlesecond.

#CakeVodka anyone? JDANGEROUS!!

Awesome writeup Dhartmann,

It was great meeting you dude. Congrats on the ACE and I hope we get to play again soon

Cutting and pasting from word to the forum doesn't make my grammar skills look too good with spacing and such, but I'm much too tired to go back and fix it. :bulgy-eyes:

How to start, how to start……
McRock….I’ve never met such a laid back, happy go lucky andcomical guy. That round on Sunday was fantastic. I feel like you could hit 10shot straight into the same lake and then somehow pull a Noodle Distance out ofyour pocket and be happy as a clam. Just a great time out there and I can’thate you anymore for making birdie and taking that coin from me..jk! That was aGREAT putt. All evens out right?

And if I do win the lottery, we’ll go back to college for ayear or two…. But we’ll be able to afford a tad bit more than just beer…and nothave to sell any plasma to get it J

#CakeVodka anyone? JDANGEROUS!!

If I ever make the PGA Tour (which seems further away than hitting the powerball jackpot), I'm pretty sure I'd be sponsored by Noodle. Had so much fun with their balls for the 2-3 shots I'd get in before losing them. Plus, they are "Noodle" and "Long and Soft" or "Soft Feel." You can't make that stuff up.

I'm pretty sure we'd have to goto Iowa, since it's the #1 party school in the country.

~Sir Rock

We missed you too Natedogg. Sounds like you had a great weekend though. I would have gone the same route as you dude.

Another successful gathering !! Ryan & Taylor ya done good.

I got there Thursday nite bout 9 at night and settled in. Fri was just a relaxing day I spent it at range that I found, they had a bucket that held like 300 balls. Lol

Friday eve Flying Wedge showed up & we went out for dinner & drinks @ BWWs and had Sean join us soon after. So we got to sit & enjoy each others company before all the others showed up @ the motel. Then it was making & rekindling friendships.

Sat. was a nice day but a lil breezy but it was all good. The morning session I got to play with my buddy Sammy & Scott (Flying Wedge). It was fun but as usual I played like ... Sam brought out the coins game, of course I quickly had a pocket of em but I did also have the birdie coin. Sam pulled out the putt of the round, a long putt to saved himself from the taking the 3 jack & triple bogey coins from me. arrrr. Lol

For the afternoon it was with Scott again & Sir Rock. Me & Scott being the oldest vis were starting to feel the effects from the day & our backs and his elbow were giving us some bother. But the low hitting/struggling short game rock turned into Sir Rock, the high smashing driver who makes every putt.

Was a short night Sat to much fun Fri night & then a long day of golf.
Sunday was chilly. I couldn't believe their was frost until I put a tree in the ground. I got to play with the "kings" Taylor & Ryan. I think they were feeling bad for me cause of the way I played the day before so they let me win but had a tight game going between theirselves. Untill 18' Hawk told me "yeah its a dogleg right", so I nut it down the right side to give me a short 2nd. shot BUT NOOOoo, it doglegs left 90* and I'm left farthest from the hole. Lol. I got lucky & got a 6 iron between the bunker & green and got in for par.

Sorry I left after the round and didn't say goodbye to everybody but I needed to start the journey home.

Taylor..love hanging around ya always a good time. Hope ya finally got your dinner finished.

Ryan. What can I say.. great times every time.

Scott. Really enjoyed your company, your right, it might not be the prettiest swing but its dead nuts!

Sean. So glad ya made the long trek. Hope ya still have some of them balls left to take home. Lol

Sir Rock. Your my man. At least Sat. it didn't rain golf balls down on us like Branson.

Sammy. So glad we got to play. I'm blaming all those coins you dumped on me for playing bad. .whoops I was playing bad to earn em in the 1st place.

Derek. I mean how cool is that.. your first outing & a hole in one!!! Your a fun & great guy to be around.

I know I'm forgetting so much but hey like yall tell me "your old". Lol.

YOU ALL ARE THE REASON
That I keep coming to these. Wouldn't want it other way!!!

tappin from my big as note2

Also need to add that we got a new saying
gunch to gunch. Lol

Hahaha gunch to gunch was awesome!!

Bulldog you are a freaking blast

But you should take a hard look @ that ZL..I'm telling ya

Back