Any BBQ smokers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used them, but I know you can get some that will work with propane or charcoal. One of my buddies got one for Christmas. I think Brinkmann and some of the other brands you can find at hardware stores and stuff make them. If you want super easy, the Traegers feed pellets for smoke, but basically operate like an oven. You won't get the respect of hard core BBQ guys using one (whatever), but your wife and anyone else who wanted to use it would have absolutely no problem. You don't build/maintain a fire, so it might not be considered true BBQ, but if you need something that's really easy to control, they're hard to beat. Pricey, though.

Your right on some people not thinking its "true" bbq, but my boss actually uses it in competition, because of the ease of use. I actually use an electric smoker which I love for the pure fact I can set it and go pretty much. We are trying to sell our house and then build one so after that I plan on going with a more traditional set up. I might mention that it is only used for smoking though you cannot grill on this electric one.

BIG BBQ weekend for me. I'm catering a wedding for about 170 people up in the mountains on Saturday. It's kind of been a week-long process getting ready for this one. Bought dry goods Tuesday. Made rubs on Wednesday. Did more shopping Thursday, then made a couple gallons of my "Hurricane Sauce" which is a wester North Carolina style vinegar sauce that I use on pulled pork. Made 24 qts worth of my peach bourbon BBQ beans as well. Tomorrow I'll be picking up my meat, smoking 55-60 lbs. of pork butt, making 6 huge pans of mac n cheese, brining turkey, making chipotle mayo & cole slaw and trying to figure out how to come up with enough fridge space for all of it. Saturday we'll pack up early, drive 2 hours up the hill, cook the turkey breast there and warm up all the sides and serve a bunch of happy wedding goers. It's fun, but man it's a lot of work when the group is this big. Anyway, it's a lot of cooking and I know a lot of BBQ guys like hearing about this kind of stuff.

BIG BBQ weekend for me. I'm catering a wedding for about 170 people up in the mountains on Saturday. It's kind of been a week-long process getting ready for this one. Bought dry goods Tuesday. Made rubs on Wednesday. Did more shopping Thursday, then made a couple gallons of my "Hurricane Sauce" which is a wester North Carolina style vinegar sauce that I use on pulled pork. Made 24 qts worth of my peach bourbon BBQ beans as well. Tomorrow I'll be picking up my meat, smoking 55-60 lbs. of pork butt, making 6 huge pans of mac n cheese, brining turkey, making chipotle mayo & cole slaw and trying to figure out how to come up with enough fridge space for all of it. Saturday we'll pack up early, drive 2 hours up the hill, cook the turkey breast there and warm up all the sides and serve a bunch of happy wedding goers. It's fun, but man it's a lot of work when the group is this big. Anyway, it's a lot of cooking and I know a lot of BBQ guys like hearing about this kind of stuff.

Good luck. BBQ is some of my favorite food.

What do you use for a smoker? I am getting ready to pick up this bad boy.

ys640_hero.png

Yoder YS640

Looking at getting a smoker probably a simple offset one. What do you guys like to use. Any disadvatages or advantages of an offset.

I have an electric smoker I got from Lowes. A newbie's dream...I have used it 4 times for pulled pork and it is really fool proof.

I have an electric smoker I got from Lowes. A newbie's dream...I have used it 4 times for pulled pork and it is really fool proof.

That's my other option. Not sure what way to go. I like the idea of tending to the fire.

Finally bought a small verticals smoker yesterday & have done my first redfish filets for smoked fish dip & have a shoulder on now as well.
Man I missed watching football, tending a smoker & drinking a beer or 2 in the process.

Finally bought a small verticals smoker yesterday & have done my first redfish filets for smoked fish dip & have a shoulder on now as well.
Man I missed watching football, tending a smoker & drinking a beer or 2 in the process.

Who makes the smoker?

That's my other option. Not sure what way to go. I like the idea of tending to the fire.

I thought so too until I realized most of mine would take place overnight.

What is the lowest temp you can get. I also want to be able to cold smoke some cheese then also be able to turn it up and do a brisket or a turkey.

What is the lowest temp you can get. I also want to be able to cold smoke some cheese then also be able to turn it up and do a brisket or a turkey.

Mine can go from 100-275. This is the one I got from Lowes...it isnt the biggest around so if size matters...

Looking at getting a smoker probably a simple offset one. What do you guys like to use. Any disadvatages or advantages of an offset.

The advantage of an offset is that you can tend the fire without dropping the temp in the cooking chamber.

Some cheaper offsets have problems with uneven temperatures (really hot next to the firebox, not hot on the other side), and some have poor seals on the doors. To address the even temperatures, better offsets may incorporate a "reverse flow" system, which is basically just a shield the keeps the heat on the bottom of the smoker until it reaches the end away from the firebox. These will have the chimney next to the firebox instead of on the far end.

Also, as a disclaimer - even though I listed more disadvantages than advantages, I think that the advantage is a huge one. Poor seals just mean it won't be as efficient, so you may need to use more fuel. The uneven temps mostly mean that you'll have a learning curve or break in period where you'll need to learn your smoker and how to achieve your desired result.

Did my 1st shoulder in a long time today, it looks good, smells good & tastes good.

Did my 1st shoulder in a long time today, it looks good, smells good & tastes good.

If I wasn't about to have thanksgiving diner I would be jealous

I am, believe me. I think I need pics.

Here's a couple pics from my previous pulled pork smoke (10lbs butt):

Rub:
mupa5ude.jpg

2 hour spritz time:
nuqe7a5a.jpg

13 hours later at 225 degrees:
y6a4anun.jpg

Yum:
pebu5a9u.jpg

I christened my new Brinkmann Trailmaster BBQ smoker today. Tested it out with some keilbasa, ribs, brisket, and chicken. I had added some mods to even out the heat temp but I was still losing some heat, so I'll have to go a lil further. No complaints for the eaters tho, so I'm not doin too bad.

Put this 4lb boneless butt in my smoker this morning. I have neighbor returning home from the hospital after back surgery today. Going to take them half the meat so they don't have to worry about cooking for a bit. I use a lot of spices from a company called Penzeys for cooking. (www.penzeys.com). This rub is called Barbecue of the Americas. A really nice slightly spicy rub. Put the rub on the butt 3 days ago and have had it in the fridge since. Gives time for the spice to really penetrate the meat. I'll post an after picture after I pull the meat.

IMAG0087_zpsac35198a.jpg

IMAG0088_zps325ea6a8.jpg

ymaruhyz.jpg

This is my big green egg and it is the best smoker and grill I have ever owned. They are pricey but I bought mine in 2006 (it was coming with me in the divorce) and it is still going strong so in the long run it was actually not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Put this 4lb boneless butt in my smoker this morning. I have neighbor returning home from the hospital after back surgery today. Going to take them half the meat so they don't have to worry about cooking for a bit. I use a lot of spices from a company called Penzeys for cooking. (www.penzeys.com). This rub is called Barbecue of the Americas. A really nice slightly spicy rub. Put the rub on the butt 3 days ago and have had it in the fridge since. Gives time for the spice to really penetrate the meat. I'll post an after picture after I pull the meat.

IMAG0087_zpsac35198a.jpg

IMAG0088_zps325ea6a8.jpg

Penzeys is phenomenal! I stop in their store in Raleigh everytime I am in the area. Which reminds me - I have to set up a reminder to go there while I am there in November.

IMAG0087_zpsac35198a.jpg

IMAG0088_zps325ea6a8.jpg

Why am I hungry all of a sudden?

I have never used a Kamado but by looking at it, it has a big green egg look. You could look for a used one, I know on my egg the only thing I have replaced is the seals. As like as it is not cracked there really nothing that could be wrong with it.

I'm a fan of the Kamado Grill (like the Big Green Egg). I missed out recently at my Costco. They sold all of theirs for half price a couple months ago. I'm kicking myself now for not getting it and the one they had has pretty good reviews. Hoping to find another deal like that next year. http://www.costco.com/Vision-Grills-Classic-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill.product.11760270.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back