Home mat and net vs indoor range

Home mat and net vs indoor range

• Option A

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Option B

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
Looks like I won't be purchasing the Flightscope. The Cheetah model needs to see the enitre ball flight so it won't work hitting into a net. That and he was asking way more than I was willing to pay.

That's a double bummer. You will find something that will work out I'm sure.

Why not Optishot? It's not going to be a perfect judge of your launch conditions, but it would be better than nothing. Could be fun as well.

Why not Optishot? It's not going to be a perfect judge of your launch conditions, but it would be better than nothing. Could be fun as well.

I enjoyed the one I won last yr during the holiday cheer contest and will be putting back in use again this winter.

I enjoyed the one I won last yr during the holiday cheer contest and will be putting back in use again this winter.

I think it would be hard to go wrong based on the cost. You'll at least get an idea of swing path and club face. Plus, you can actually have some fun with it and play some sim golf.

It's a great aide and definitely keeps you swinging in the winter. The range set up is awesome for working on your swing and seeing dispersion is super easy, since it will lay out a grid from center. The sim golf is fun and the courses are challenging. Putting was the only thing I didn't care for on it.

I bought a net and mat for my garage and my iron game has never been better. Yes seeing your ball flight is great I can not argue that fact. But you get a pretty idea of the shot with the feel off the club face. And you can get a pretty good idea which direction it's going before it hits the net. Plus (at least for me) you will practice more. I hit 50-100 golf balls 3-5 times a week now when before I probably didn't hit a ball unless I was on the course. Hope it helps with the decision.

Also please note I said iron game, my garage isn't big enough to swing drivers so the loswest club I really swing is my 3h. And sometimes wedges can go high into the net.

Last edited:
I bought a net and mat for my garage and my iron game has not been better. Yes seeing your ball flight is great I can not argue that fact. But you get a pretty idea of the shot with the feel off the club face. And you can get a pretty good idea which direction it's going before it hits the net. Plus (at least for me) you will practice more. I hit 50-100 golf balls 3-5 times a week now when before I probably didn't hit a ball unless I was on the course. Hope it helps with the decision.

Also please note I said iron game, my garage isn't big enough to swing drivers so the loswest club I really swing is my 3h. And sometimes wedges can go high into the net.
Assuming this is a typo?

Truestrike mat and net are ordered. While I'm not going to get to see ball flight, I do spend enough time hitting balls in the summer, I've gotten to feel the difference between a good and bad shot the second I make contact with the ball.

So the plan for this winter is 4 times a week in the garage and once a month at the heated outdoor range. It's an hour drive, btu if I'm only going once a month I won't mind and neither will my wife.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Adam I will be interested on your thoughts on the mat.

Me too. I'm eyeing the Country Club Elite mat and I just can't make up my mind.

I've hit on a Truestrike mat at the local Golfsmith countless times. It isn't grass but it's close and a lot easier on your body and clubs than a typical mat.

My neighbor has the Country Club Elite mat (CostCo sells them for cheap I guess) and he really likes it. It doesn't feel as nice as the Truestrike, but the CC mat will allow you to drop a real tee in there for driver swings.

My goal is irons and wedges this winter so the driver will have to wait for range days.

I've hit on a Truestrike mat at the local Golfsmith countless times. It isn't grass but it's close and a lot easier on your body and clubs than a typical mat.

My neighbor has the Country Club Elite mat (CostCo sells them for cheap I guess) and he really likes it. It doesn't feel as nice as the Truestrike, but the CC mat will allow you to drop a real tee in there for driver swings.

My goal is irons and wedges this winter so the driver will have to wait for range days.
Biggest reason I'm leaning towards the CCE - returns at Costco are effortless if it turns out to wear too fast or it sucks, and I can use real tees.

Do you think the 2" grass works? As far as resisting rebounding off the mat, and telling fat shots vs. flush shots.

I'm using a Monster Tee golf mat that I found on Amazon. I was surprised by the feel and how soft it is. I like it so far, and it seems to hold up well. I hit 50-75 balls off of it 3-4 times a week, and so far it works great. Tees can fly off of it pretty fast, but hitting from a real tee is better than those rubber tees.

Tapatalking on my iPad

Biggest reason I'm leaning towards the CCE - returns at Costco are effortless if it turns out to wear too fast or it sucks, and I can use real tees.

Do you think the 2" grass works? As far as resisting rebounding off the mat, and telling fat shots vs. flush shots.

The CCE mats are superior to your normal range mat. It still hurts when you hit one real fat though. If you plan in using your driver, I would go with the CCE and save the money. If you really want to feel your iron shots, there is nothing like the Truestrike mats. But then again, that is why they cost so much.

I'm using a Monster Tee golf mat that I found on Amazon. I was surprised by the feel and how soft it is. I like it so far, and it seems to hold up well. I hit 50-75 balls off of it 3-4 times a week, and so far it works great. Tees can fly off of it pretty fast, but hitting from a real tee is better than those rubber tees.

Tapatalking on my iPad
Did you notice that Amazon prices are significantly higher for the mats than the factory website? lol

Hey Adam,

Thanks for this thread because it helped me make a decision on my indoor setup.

So my priorities were a little different for what I wanted. My biggest concern was ease of setup. I would have to setup and tear down the net in my garage whenever I want to practice, and everytime I wanted to transport the setup into my basement. My basement is rather large at around 1000sq ft but each room serves a purpose and there's no real good spot to keep this up permanently. My wifes home office is down there, so is my daughter's playroom and theater room.

My other biggest concern was durability of the net/mat, but within price reason. I don't know if an indoor range is something I will continue to use throughout this winter or future years. So I kept my budget lower thinking if this type of practice isn't something that sticks at least I didn't spend too much money. I wanted to keep it around $250-$300.

For those two reasons I bought the Rukk Net and an All Turf hitting mat. I'm planning on using some foam floor tiles under the turf hitting mat to absorb even more of the damage that these hitting mats can cause to joints. Hopefully it's not too bad. I'll let you all know how much I enjoy using these items and if it actually helps me maintain any muscle memory.

I think that the foam/rubber floor tiles are a great idea. Should make it easier on you feat too.

I have a reel feal golf mat I couldnt be happier. Very soft, holds real tees and is super durable. Also made my own net out of pvc and bought the netting seperate.

I too would opt for the net and real feel mat. It gives way to the club at impact creating the feeling of divot. I also have a Rukk Net which I honestly would choose over the Net Return (For cost reasons only). It's very durable and can take a beating. Sets up in nearly 1 minute as well as come down in 1 minute too.

I thought about getting a Ernest Sports unit to add to the mix to kinda give me numbers as well. I enjoy knowing I can swing a club whenever I choose too within a few steps at home.

I too would opt for the net and real feel mat. It gives way to the club at impact creating the feeling of divot. I also have a Rukk Net which I honestly would choose over the Net Return (For cost reasons only). It's very durable and can take a beating. Sets up in nearly 1 minute as well as come down in 1 minute too.

I thought about getting a Ernest Sports unit to add to the mix to kinda give me numbers as well. I enjoy knowing I can swing a club whenever I choose too within a few steps at home.

Would be fun but I wish it provided beneficial data. However, that would be a LM and the associated costs are ridiculous. I knew a LM can be manufacturered and sold for much cheaper. The FlightScope Xi is proof of that. Although they still refrain from providing launch and spin data, even though it is being measured to calculate the total distance. The question is why? Probably because they do not want the professionals purchasing the vastly cheaper model to provide the same data. Have to keep the two markets separate somehow. Now if only someone else steps in and undercuts them all for us rec users :act-up:

This is something in considering for the future. My home course range is open with no stalls. I personally would love to trudge out there with a 25,000 BTU heater and setup shop, but I doubt they would like that idea..haha. So I'm considering going the Net-mat- launch monitor route. Few on the bay for about 2k which while expensive could be used year around and used when testing new equipment to really see if there is a gain. While this is something that is a couple years away it is nice read about other peoples setups.

Back