Is the Wilson Duo Magic?

Mckeon

Reaction score
Handicap
My Brain
First off let me say that I have played the duo before and thought it was an ok ball, but it was a little soft for my taste and I even lost ~15-20 yards on my drive (I think my regular swing speed was too fast: Swing speed for my Driver is 100-105 ).

Well this week I was playing with a slightly sore shoulder so I decided I would slow my swing down to perhaps 75-80% the power of my normal swing (If I had to guess I’d say my swing speed at 75% was in the mid to low 80’s), basically a nice controlled tempo that wouldn’t put too much pressure on my shoulder. As I knew the Duo was a low compression ball I decided to dig a few out of the old box I bought earlier this year and play them while I was using the low power swing…

I got to the first tee box (a short par 5) and Tee’d up the ball. Then I drove the ball (swinging not much harder than I do for my practice swings), and to my 100% amazement the ball rocketed down the fairway. No lie, the ball went almost as far as my full power drive, but the great thing was with the slower swing speed I was able to concentrate of making pure contact. I was able to reach the green in 2 (great 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot with my 3 wood) while swinging at less than full power. This held true for the rest of the round. The wedge spin was ok (though nothing like a Pro-V1) and the putting was excellent (great butter smooth feel). The best thing is my body felt 1000% better than it normally does after a round.

I can honestly say this is the first time in a while that a ball has 100% shocked me… I think it may even revolutionize my game, I have a local tournament on Saturday and plan on using the Duo, with a 75% swing. I’m not sure about others, but I find it much easier to make good contact and/or be able to work the ball while swinging a little slower than my full power swing. Plus it’s nice to not have to take 2 Motrin after the round.

I’ll post on here how I do on Saturday.

For those with a naturally slow swing speed I would highly recommend getting a box of Wilson Duo balls and trying them out.

My driver SS is about the same as yours and I've never lost distance. I've had what appeared to be 2 knuckle balls only twice and each time it was with my hybrid. I've been singing the praises of this ball for a long time. It is amazing and feels awesome. It fits me and my game perfectly and the cost is great. Even with a low new price, I like them so much I buy recycled when I can find them.

Swing easy and the ball goes far, that's a long known fact but I'm glad you've stumble across it. All too often players swing at 100% and get out of sync so the extra SS (if there is in fact any) is negated. It might very well be the ball but to put your theory to the test try playing playing the same way with your usual gamer and let us know what happens. Good luck for the tournament.

Swing easy and the ball goes far, that's a long known fact but I'm glad you've stumble across it. All too often players swing at 100% and get out of sync so the extra SS (if there is in fact any) is negated. It might very well be the ball but to put your theory to the test try playing playing the same way with your usual gamer and let us know what happens. Good luck for the tournament.

I should say I have tried this swing with a Pro-V1 and I lose ~30 yards on my drive.

There is definitely merit to the proper ball for a certain swing type. I bet in addition you are centering the sweet spot more consistently to boot.

Maybe not magic but imo a solid ball for the money.

I've heard nothing but great things about this ball lately...

Going to pick up a box and give them a shot.

30 yards is a huge difference and had I known that I'd definitely say the ball works for you. I've tried the Duo and for my SS it just doesn't work, plus I hate not being able to spin the ball around the green as much as I can with other tour balls. Different strokes for different folks, sounds like you're onto a winner.

This IS an amazing golf ball. My driver SS is 105-108 and this ball has never failed me. One of the things that I love about this ball is that fact that it does bite on the greens, not like a B-330 or a Pro-V, but it does not get away from me like the E6 or other comparable balls. For the money, I think this is the best ball out there. I have gotten a few people playing this ball on the regular now, it is definitely a winner.

Back