Mizuno MP-54 Preview

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A unique offering in the Mizuno iron line, the MP-54 has been given the tag line "Step Up". The meaning behind that is to "step up" from your current GI iron into something that still offers forgiveness, but in a package that is more streamlined, feels better, and is more workable. I sort of touched on this topic earlier in another thread today, but this is almost a combo set within a set. The 3-7 irons feature a milled cavity, while the 8-PW have a solid muscle design. There's a good reason for all this, and it's not just forgiveness. I'll explain below.

By removing material and creating a cavity in the 3-7 irons, more weight is distributed low and back, promoting a higher launch angle, more forgiveness, and a steeper landing angle - all things that will be desirable for many, many golfers. At the same time, the solid muscle design of the scoring irons brings the CG higher and closer to the face, promoting more shot shaping ability and an overall flatter trajectory. In addition, you get the enhanced/preferred feel that a solid design offers.

54-2-L.jpg

Mizuno is classifying these irons as suitable for handicaps ranging from 0-12, so I'm truly at that "step up" slot. I've played irons that are similar to the scoring irons (throughout the entire set) extensively in the past, but this will be my first go-round with this type of set up. Coming from playing distance/GI irons for the past year, it will definitely be a change of pace and I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it.

Stock shaft is the True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 and specs are below.

54-L.jpg

A couple cool things worth mentioning:

- Added weight low and back generally equals a wider sole. To remedy this, the trailing edge of the iron has been ground, which is evident in the pictures below. This should improve turf interaction. The topline was also ground/beveled to give a thinner appearance.

- These irons can be combined with the hollow body MP H4's to create a combo set that offers even more forgiveness/launch in the lower irons.

These will go in the bag right away and a full review will be up within a month or so. Stay tuned here for any updates along the way.

3 iron - notice the milled cavity and trailing edge relief.
DSCN3268-L.jpg

DSCN3269-L.jpg

DSCN3270-L.jpg

DSCN3271-L.jpg

DSCN3275-L.jpg

5 iron
DSCN3276-L.jpg

DSCN3278-L.jpg

DSCN3279-L.jpg

DSCN3281-L.jpg

DSCN3287-L.jpg

9 iron - notice the solid muscle design in place of the cavity here.

DSCN3288-L.jpg

DSCN3290-L.jpg

DSCN3291-L.jpg

DSCN3294-L.jpg

DSCN3292-L.jpg

And one final pic, just because I can.
DSCN3299-L.jpg

Yummy. I have no business gaming these but the force is strong with them.

So much goodness there. I really enjoyed the 53's and these look even better.

GORGEOUS! I love that classic polished chrome finish on a set of Mizzies! Man these things just scream bad ass!

Wow. This set make up reminds me of the VR pro combos.

Looking forward to the thoughts!

Mizuno sure does make some pretty gear, I'll give them that.

• Staff
GORGEOUS! I love that classic polished chrome finish on a set of Mizzies! Man these things just scream bad ass!

Crazy enough, I have never spent more than a few swings with a Mizuno iron. First time reviewing one in three years. Very interested to see what I gain and what I lose with this profile. Having that cavity is definitely appealing to me.

• Staff
Wow. This set make up reminds me of the VR pro combos.

Yes it does. The only thing that would bring it a little closer would be in the MP 4's were the scoring irons. Not quite a true blade in these.

Now these are what I am used to seeing. Sharp look sticks. You are going to like these Hawk. Can't wait to see some set up pictures.

Crazy enough, I have never spent more than a few swings with a Mizuno iron. First time reviewing one in three years. Very interested to see what I gain and what I lose with this profile. Having that cavity is definitely appealing to me.
Mizunos were my favorite irons for the longest time. Before I got hooked up with THP I had a set of MP-57 that I just loved. These definitely have my interest, I expect they'll be very solid.

Great start to the thread/review. These sure look nice.

My other overriding reaction is that holy cr@p there's a lot of club test and review activity in here recently, especially irons. Damn.

I hit these around a couple weeks ago and they are really, really nice. The feel of these things are great. Was surprised by the length and forgiveness. I would gladly game these

Freaking gorgeous. Grain flow gorgeous.

There may never be an end to the cast vs forged debate, but no one will ever argue that they make a beautiful iron.

Have fun with those Hawk!

I love the looks. Better than the EZ, for sure. I can't wait to see what you think of these, Hawk. First thought I had upon seeing the pics was my DPC's. Similar looks. Excited to hear what you think of these.

Excellent start to the thread Hawk! I've never hit a Mizuno iron but that's gonna have to change. Wow they look good!

GOR-GE-OUS.

Seriously. I actually really like those....and I'm not a big polished chrome guy.

The 0-12 monniker Mizzy is putting on them is interesting buddy, curious to hear your thoughts after a while with them on that.

Very pretty set of irons.

I find it really interesting that Mizuno has what appears to be a speed slot in a set of player's irons. Really interested to see how these perform.

Hawk, did you make sure to get the MPs at 1/2" long and 2* upright? Heh.

You will LOVE these. I hit them at Dunn, and I want them BADLY. One of my colleagues just got fitted for them and is expecting them any day. He also fell for the spell.

Yummy. I have no business gaming these but the force is strong with them.

No way dude. They are quite forgiving. They are very fun.

Wow. This set
make up reminds me of the VR pro combos.

They sound so much more iron like than the pocket cavity irons from Nike.

I've said it before, if I had the funds, I would game these in a second. They're the first iron that has stuck with me. I want these irons more than any golf club I've hit in a long time. Including the Covert.

Very pretty set of irons.

I find it really interesting that Mizuno has what appears to be a speed slot in a set of player's irons. Really interested to see how these perform.

Hawk, did you make sure to get the MPs at 1/2" long and 2* upright? Heh.

I wouldn't call it a Speed Slot myself with as much material that is still there between the bottom and the sole and not being a full cut through. It is however definitely a solid sized undercut cavity and for sure still really really intriguing. I'm like you, I'm actually really eager to see how these perform for Hawk.

Definitely not a speed slot Seth. This is a pure cavity.

I'm not going to update much tonight, but I did hit them briefly on a Vector. Saw some very good dispersion, about 1/2 to 1 club less distance than the irons I've got in the bag, and moderate forgiveness on the toe. The story will be told on the grass though :)

Definitely not a speed slot Seth. This is a pure cavity.

And it's really well hidden. Plus, the sound is much closer to a blade or players cavity than a cavity back.

Really looking forward to your thoughts Hawk on these irons. I loved the MP-53 irons every time I hit them at a demo day and never pulled the trigger on them, so I'm pretty interested in this set. I do wish that they'd pick a stock shaft other than the S300, but if I was to get these irons, I'd get fit for them so it wouldn't be a big issue.

Back