Callaway X-Hot Fairway Wood Preview Thread

Looking for something to fit between my 9.5 driver and 21 3H. I was looking for something forgiving and had a list of 3 woods I wanted to try out including the Razr X Black, Ping K15, Cleveland Mashie and regular X hot. The first and only 3 wood I took out to the range was the x hot and I was nearly sold on the spot. Was consistently hitting it off the deck further than my tee'd up driver!!

I bought the 3W today but they only had the new ones in reg flex. I didn't want the stiff because I they only had the demo and it looked pretty beat up. After taking it to the same range and playing 9 tonight I feel I'm about 30 yards less with this shaft but very straight. I guess I will live with this. Kind of pondering offering to trade this one day old club for the used demo model.

I have a pretty smooth swing, play a stiff driver and hit it about 240 average, 260 if I connect well but usually only swing about 85-90%. My swing speed with the 3W was averaging low-mid 90s with some getting over 100.

I should probably just keep this club and use it as it was meant to be as a fairway wood.

Has anyone had there xhot wood get these kind of scratch marks from hitting the ball. Couldn't believe after hitting a ball it left this mark on the face.
husaqady.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I have a similar mark on my 3deep. I hit a ball from the rough after it had rolled through a fairway bunker--in my case, I think it was due to the ball being sandy.

Yeah I didn't think about that. Guess maybe I sandblasted it.
I have a similar mark on my 3deep. I hit a ball from the rough after it had rolled through a fairway bunker--in my case, I think it was due to the ball being sandy.

I have the same type of scratches on my 5 wood face. Could very well be from sand. I was in Northern Michigan playing. They have a very sandy ground base up there.

i have something similar, i think the combo of lousy range balls/sandy range caused it, it really annoys me when I look at it

Jeez. This thing is alright. I'm actually using it, so that's a good sign. It's surprisingly long for a 4w. I came within a foot of a fairway bunker I was using it to stay short of. Toe shots appear forgiving. Good accuracy with it as well. So far, an experiment gone right.

Jeez. This thing is alright. I'm actually using it, so that's a good sign. It's surprisingly long for a 4w. I came within a foot of a fairway bunker I was using it to stay short of. Toe shots appear forgiving. Good accuracy with it as well. So far, an experiment gone right.

Dude my 3W is rediculous. Like enough that I pondered not even taking a driver to Vegas.

but I will for show, but so far I love this thing!

I like hearing all of that. That 3w-5w spot in my bag is acting up again. Might have to consider a 4w here. Luckily I have had a ton of confidence with the driver lately so I'm not taking the 3w off the tee as much.

Dude my 3W is rediculous. Like enough that I pondered not even taking a driver to Vegas.

but I will for show, but so far I love this thing!

I like hearing all of that. That 3w-5w spot in my bag is acting up again. Might have to consider a 4w here. Luckily I have had a ton of confidence with the driver lately so I'm not taking the 3w off the tee as much.

I bet I could count the number of times I used fairway wood off the tee on one hand this year, up until I got this one. I think I could drop the driver too if I wanted Mike. I even hit it off the grass. Pushed the shot about 10 yards right of the green, but it had the yards.

I bet I could count the number of times I used fairway wood off the tee on one hand this year, up until I got this one. I think I could drop the driver too if I wanted Mike. I even hit it off the grass. Pushed the shot about 10 yards right of the green, but it had the yards.

earlier in the year it was all I hit because I just couldn't find what I was looking for with the driver. Now that I have the driver swing, the 3w has abandoned me. I could actually drop that slot if I wanted to, just go driver to 3h.

I was almost going to do that, but this was the last thing I wanted to try before I went there. I ended up just dropping the 3 hybrid. I don't want to hook this off the course, which is nice. Also, the stock shaft is fine by me. The internet golfer in me was looking to replace it before I even got it, but no need.

yeah I think its a pathetic move on my part but whatever, Ive always been decent off the tee with a variety of 3 woods, I just continue to punish myself to get driver worked out

I was almost going to do that, but this was the last thing I wanted to try before I went there. I ended up just dropping the 3 hybrid. I don't want to hook this off the course, which is nice. Also, the stock shaft is fine by me. The internet golfer in me was looking to replace it before I even got it, but no need.

stock would be good for me I believe. In most of the fw's I've had I have not messed with the shafts.

We reached the 14th tee box yesterday with #Cookie and Niteowl (Aaron) yesterday and I go to grab my X Hot Pro 17 and it was missing from the bag. My heart skipped a beat only then to realize and watch Aaron hitting it off the tee as he followed through. Heart attack avoided. I told him he could grab it at any point and I guess he was very stealth about it then. Anyways, goes on to hit a very good shot, a little low for him, but good shot in the middle of the fairway. Cookie measures it with his GPS watch - 235 yards on a low hit with some damp fairways. He then has little over 200 yards uphill and over some bunkers to the green. Grabs the 4W again and proceeds to hit the front of the green, just past the pin, to over the back of the green. I told him he had to stop using it as he was taking my money by using my clubs.

He gets to the next tee and uses his 3W off the tee (RBZ I believe). Hits a good shot, maybe didn't catch it as flush as he could be good drive out in the fairway. Cookie measures this one - 205 yards. Granted both shots on the 2 tee boxes were not hit as good as they could have been so that evens it out on the type of shot hit. X Hot Pro - 30 yards longer. Oh, and he was hitting the 4W too. Any questions Aaron? Love it!

Great to hear Hawk. How many yards are you hitting it. Brian hit like a 350 yesterday with his and I hit like a 200 or 210 with mine on the fairway. When I hit it correctly wow its a great club. Just need to work with it more so I stop hitting off the heel and topping it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The bunker I was trying to stay out of was 230 out according to GPS and I was right on the edge of going in with some roll. That's a good poke for me. Never compare yourself to Brian. He's a longknocker!

yeah he is, wow its amazing what he can do when it doesn't go righ, right into the trees. But I can't say anything bad about him, I think im the one that started out with a 10 on the first hole lol.
The bunker I was trying to stay out of was 230 out according to GPS and I was right on the edge of going in with some roll. That's a good poke for me. Never compare yourself to Brian. He's a longknocker!

We reached the 14th tee box yesterday with #Cookie and Niteowl (Aaron) yesterday and I go to grab my X Hot Pro 17 and it was missing from the bag. My heart skipped a beat only then to realize and watch Aaron hitting it off the tee as he followed through. Heart attack avoided. I told him he could grab it at any point and I guess he was very stealth about it then. Anyways, goes on to hit a very good shot, a little low for him, but good shot in the middle of the fairway. Cookie measures it with his GPS watch - 235 yards on a low hit with some damp fairways. He then has little over 200 yards uphill and over some bunkers to the green. Grabs the 4W again and proceeds to hit the front of the green, just past the pin, to over the back of the green. I told him he had to stop using it as he was taking my money by using my clubs.

He gets to the next tee and uses his 3W off the tee (RBZ I believe). Hits a good shot, maybe didn't catch it as flush as he could be good drive out in the fairway. Cookie measures this one - 205 yards. Granted both shots on the 2 tee boxes were not hit as good as they could have been so that evens it out on the type of shot hit. X Hot Pro - 30 yards longer. Oh, and he was hitting the 4W too. Any questions Aaron? Love it!

Only 1 question...have you noticed its not in your bag anymore?????

I love love love this 3 wood.

Driver wasn't working early on today so went to the 3 wood early on and it panned off. Hit pretty much every fairway except 1. It's a keeper.

I love love love this 3 wood.

Driver wasn't working early on today so went to the 3 wood early on and it panned off. Hit pretty much every fairway except 1. It's a keeper.

Ditto.

Oh yes, new toy in the house!

vazejeby.jpg

Oh that's not even fair. Great pickup Cookie.

I had some trouble with mine on the range tonight. Choked down about an inch, was able to make decent contact. Might have to lob an inch off to fix that problem if a consistent solve

Nice Cookie. Haven't hit the Pro, but as good as the normal one has been I have no reason to.

Wardy, I always choke down on this thing. It's freaking long.

Wardy, I always choke down on this thing. It's freaking long.

That'... Never mind.

I always wondered why I had trouble off the deck. Some days were good but from the FW good or bad, I couldn't hit it over a clubhouse. I choked down an inch and it felt like I could swing through it without hitting it heavy. Confirmed. Ball flight could have easily held a green.

Note to self: FW woods need to play under standard. -1/2 to 3/4 under just based on a guess

I think it's time I bought an X-Hot FW. How are you guys deciding between the regular and the pro? Is the pro simply a smaller head with lower spin and a slightly "better" shaft?

Back