The Official 2013 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above stats give Denver and KC the easiest schedules in the league so far based off of opponents win loss records.

Pretty classy move by the Indianapolis Colts. Should be a great night of football.

Side note, pretty cool to see Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James there watching the game together

I thought that was cool too that they were both there.

Cushing torn mcl out for year

Ouch! Cushing believes he broke his leg and tore his LCL

Let's go prater

Cushing torn mcl out for year

For the second year in a row on a type of hit the NFL does nothing about. Oh well, at least you can't touch a QB when he has half of his arm out of bounds.

mepu4usu.jpg

Time to make some moves! Hit them hard and early!

The crowd is getting loud. Hahah

Boom boom

2 excellent plays for the boys. Lets get it!

I love hearing all the whining about the Chiefs strength of schedule, it's going to get real loud next week, lol. KC will never see respect, regardless the schedule, too many years of sub par football, but just once I'd like to see someone recognize the improvements.

I love hearing all the whining about the Chiefs strength of schedule, it's going to get real loud next week, lol. KC will never see respect, regardless the schedule, too many years of sub par football, but just once I'd like to see someone recognize the improvements.

The 3 games I've watched them I was impressed.

They're the new Seattle Seahawks. Took the world a while to realize they were legit

I think the improvements have been recognized but you can't argue the fact that they have had an easy schedule so far. They beat Dallas and that's about it.

That was a pretty sweet screen/swing pass the Colts just pulled off.

Holy crap!

The kicker just laid out Holliday on that return! Holy crap! Decleated.

Haha. Look at McAfee thinking he is something. The guy he just tackled can only weigh like 90 lbs.

Surprised they didn't call a personal foul for helmet to helmet contact

Great defense, elite RB and that's about it. One and done in the playoffs.

That xfinity commercial is great

I think the improvements have been recognized but you can't argue the fact that they have had an easy schedule so far. They beat Dallas and that's about it.

You can only beat the teams you are given. I still never would have had them pegged for 7-0. One thing to think about is that teams with really good records by default contribute greatly to their opponents cumulative record, just as teams with really bad records are responsible for a large number of their opponents wins.

I found this with a quick search for Super Bowl champion Strength of Schedule. This is from 2009, so the past few years are not included.

Super Bowl Winner's Strength of Schedule
BY C P (CONTRIBUTOR) ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2009

As a Steelers fan I've been slightly annoyed by claims that the team's Super Bowl victory is somehow less impressive because their slate of postseason opponents was weak. I'm not here to argue that it wasnt.

The 2008 Steelers postseason opponents cumulative regular season winning percentage was 0.583, which is by far the lowest in the Super Bowl era (the next lowest was 0.611 by the 1983 Washington Redskins). Those are the facts, but they shouldn't diminish what the Steelers accomplished. A team can only play the opponents they are given.

To get the numbers above, I researched the schedules of all 43 Super Bowl winners and in the process I discovered some other interesting facts. Though the 2008 Steelers had the "easiest" postseason schedule in the Super Bowl era, they had the second hardest regular season schedule (based on 2008 records) of any Super Bowl winning team.

The cumulative winning percentage of Pittsburgh's opponents was .520, a record surpassed only by the 1979 Steelers at .527. That's right. The Steelers have faced the two most difficult regular season schedules ever by Super Bowl champions.

So, while the 2008 Steelers may not have faced the most difficult collection of postseason foes, they certainly paid their dues on the way to the playoffs.

Some other interesting facts I learned while crunching these numbers:

- The 1999 "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams faced an absurdly easy schedule on their way to the postseason. The cumulative winning percentage of their opponents was .363 which makes it the third easiest schedule ever faced by Super Bowl Champ.

A deeper look further illustrates the point: the Rams only faced one team the entire season that ended with a record over .500, on the other hand they played eleven games against teams that ended with a record below .500

- The 1972 Dolphins, the NFL's only undefeated Super Bowl Champ, faced the second easiest regular season schedule on their way to the playoffs (.357). They faced only two teams who ended over .500 and nine teams who ended under .500.

- The easiest regular season schedule ever faced by a Super Bowl Champ belongs to the 1970 Colts. The cumulative winning percentage of their opponents was .352, they faced three teams who ended over .500 and eleven teams who ended under .500.

- As mentioned above, the Steelers had the two hardest regular season schedules. The 2007 Giants had the third most difficult regular season schedule at .516 (they also had fourth most difficult postseason schedule by a Super Bowl winner)

- Of the 43 Superbowl Champs, only nine ever faced a regular season schedule of .500 or better. Those include the previously mentioned Steelers and Giants as well as the 1988 49ers, 1980 Raiders, 1991 Redskins, 1996 Packers, 1990 Giants, and the 2006 Colts.

- Four Super Bowl Champs faced regular season schedules below .400 including the Rams, Dolphins, and Colts mentioned above. The other team was the 1971 Cowboys.

- The five teams who faced the overall toughest road to the championship, regular season AND playoffs, were (in order) the 2007 Giants, 2005 Steelers, 2006 Colts, 1980 Raiders, and 2004 Patriots.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/246191-superbowl-winners-strength-of-schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back