Best Way To Prevent Cheating

Spiritomb

Workin' Them Angels
Reaction score
Handicap
Hormones
Guys I need your help. After playing in my club tournament yesterday, I had a hard time beliving what score I was being told to write down for my opponent. Like one hole he said to give him a bogey, and I'm pretty sure he got a double. So what's the best professional way, to stop people from doing this. Because I got another tourney coming up on sunday, and I need to prevent this from happening. Without starting a fight.

Thanks.

James.

Count them out to him. One off the tee, you chunked your second shot, third went just off the green, you chipped on and two putted for a 6. Do it every hole. There is a reason they have the opponent write the score down, and it's not just to write down whatever they say.

If it's a competition, you owe it to everyone in the field to make sure no one cheats.

Do what Smalls said, that will work.

If you dont want to deal with the confrontation. Have an official walk with you guys.

If you dont want to deal with the confrontation. Have an official walk with you guys.

I don't think you can have an offcial walk with you, because they have a few that go around the course. But I'll ask on sunday.

Count his strokes. You're going to have to be a little assertive if it's an issue. Be aware and don't be scared to speak up.

Guys I need your help. After playing in my club tournament yesterday, I had a hard time beliving what score I was being told to write down for my opponent. Like one hole he said to give him a bogey, and I'm pretty sure he got a double. So what's the best professional way, to stop people from doing this. Because I got another tourney coming up on sunday, and I need to prevent this from happening. Without starting a fight.

Thanks.

James.
What small has already said.

Or just wait until after the round, have him sign the card, and then DQ him. This happened with some guy I know. His partner was dropping balls after the hole and practicing on the green which is against local tournament rules. Didn't say anything, had him sign it, got the officials involved, and then basically DQ'ed him. HAHAHA.

I don't think you can have an offcial walk with you, because they have a few that go around the course. But I'll ask on sunday.

Then do the count it out to them thing. Just keep track of what they are doing, and at the end of the hole, ask "You got a six, right?" and if they say no, then count out the shots. Tell him what you have for him before he tells you if you notice he is missing shots here and there.

"You sure?" And then count them out. He'll usually say, "Oh yeah, my bad." And that's the end of it. Don't be afraid to call him out, especially if you do it in a respectful way. It could be an honest mistake.

I often tend to forget about a bad stroke here and there. It's nothing intentional, but if I chunk a shot, I get so distracted by the next shot I often forget it even happened. I imagine it can happen to a lot of players. I fully rely on the people I am playing with to help me count, as I help them as well.

I don't think you risk starting a fight if you are kind and treat it as a cross reference sort of thing.

In high school I had kids on my team that didn't know how to count so I got really good at keeping everyone's score in the foursome. If someone has a score I don't agree with, I politely count it back and they usually quickly remember what they really got. I've had a few times where I may have forgotten a chunked chip or something. Most folks won't cheat on purpose. No need to call them out unles it's happening every single hole. In that case, I'd recommend they pick up a clicker to keep track.

Ask him to count his strokes for you. Call him out on it. It may make for an uncomfortable round, but it is what you have to do.

Thanks guys for the help, I know it's a simple thing to do, but when you focusing on playing your best. Trying to keep their score, and yours at the same time gets distracting. It's probably the worst system of score keeping ever

But that is "part of the game" In tournaments you are suppose to keep and write down his score & him yours. Confirm them & each sign scorecards.

tappin from my big as note2

Count it back to him. I had to do it 3,4 times last Club Championship for the guy I was marking for. It's a bit uncomfortable, but it's easier than muttering to yourself and others later.
You don't need to be snarky. I've only seen once I even thought it wasn't an honest mistake.

Thanks.

James.
Stand behind him and hold your driver upside down , put the end of the shaft between his feet then flick your wrist in an upward motion . Just tell him unlike you I will count that stroke

besides what smalls said, something I used to do on the first hole was after the other guy finished out, id say something like, "I have you with a 5, correct?" at that point, they know you are actively counting their shots, and they're much less likely to sneak one if they know you re watching them

Write down the correct score and sign it. If he changes the scores or ask you to, don't sign the card. It won't be expected and the problem solved.

At the first tee when you shake hands let him know you've had people recently miscount their shots and that you'll be keeping track of them to help with it. He'll know right away you're paying attention.

Try not to wait until there's an issue to speak on the subject. Try to prevent it all together.

At the first tee when you shake hands let him know you've had people recently miscount their shots and that you'll be keeping track of them to help with it. He'll know right away you're paying attention.

Try not to wait until there's an issue to speak on the subject. Try to prevent it all together.

That's a little more in your face than I would like. I would just say "You got a six there, right?" after the first hole. He'll know then.

Write down the correct score and sign it. If he changes the scores or ask you to, don't sign the card. It won't be expected and the problem solved.

I really like this method. removes any sort of frustration during the round, and you can't be held accountable by not signing a card that has the wrong numbers down.

We had to do this with Beags this weekend.. You gotta watch that guy.

Thanks guys for the help, I know it's a simple thing to do, but when you focusing on playing your best. Trying to keep their score, and yours at the same time gets distracting. It's probably the worst system of score keeping ever

I hear that...it's easy to be worried about remembering your groups scores and shots. The good thing is, you're just required to remember one other guys score (most of the time.) There are easy ways to remember the other guys score without having to focus on it. You know those loops on your bag for towels? You can make a cheep score tally system. Use something simple like small leather shoelace. Then use your favorite team colors and place something like beads or something you can string up. Get 10 (or more) of those things and line them up with room to move. Then each time your (or the guy your watching) hits a shot, move your marker to the next bead over. At the end of the hole, you'll know where you (or your guy) sits in the score. It's novel, but it won't look weird and you won't have to focus on anything other than moving your marker to the next bead.

I found this...being a K-Stater.

413Za-UN%2BYL._SX300_.jpg

Then you could use something like this to move from bead to bead until the hole is done. It will clip onto the leather shoelace, won't fall off, but can removed and moved to the next bead as you go. Plus it will hold a sweet ball marker, too.

418zd55Y9jL._AA160_.jpg

Other than that...you just have to be bold, keep a level head and count his score back to him.

Just an idea.

Really. . You went there? :p

tappin from my big as note2

I've always liked the, "I had you with a 5 (or whatever the score was). I had a 4." It gives the person the opportunity to admit to the correct score knowing that you are keeping track. The other option, which is how it should be done anyway in a tournament, is to have the opposite player keeping your score and you keeping his. This can help curb cheating because they know you'll be paying attention to what they are doing. By using the phrase I mentioned it gives them a chance to be honest without putting them on the defensive.

I hear that...it's easy to be worried about remembering your groups scores and shots. The good thing is, you're just required to remember one other guys score (most of the time.) There are easy ways to remember the other guys score without having to focus on it. You know those loops on your bag for towels? You can make a cheep score tally system. Use something simple like small leather shoelace. Then use your favorite team colors and place something like beads or something you can string up. Get 10 (or more) of those things and line them up with room to move. Then each time your (or the guy your watching) hits a shot, move your marker to the next bead over. At the end of the hole, you'll know where you (or your guy) sits in the score. It's novel, but it won't look weird and you won't have to focus on anything other than moving your marker to the next bead.

I found this...being a K-Stater.

413Za-UN%2BYL._SX300_.jpg

Then you could use something like this to move from bead to bead until the hole is done. It will clip onto the leather shoelace, won't fall off, but can removed and moved to the next bead as you go. Plus it will hold a sweet ball marker, too.

418zd55Y9jL._AA160_.jpg

Other than that...you just have to be bold, keep a level head and count his score back to him.

Just an idea.

Love the K-State idea. That should be required.

Back