Thinking about a 15-17* hybrid, what's out there?

slodsm

Hybrid hooker
Reaction score
Handicap
I've tried time and time again to find a 3-4 wood that I can consistently hit and I've come to the conclusion maybe woods just aren't for me. I tend to catch them fat off the deck and high off the tee making moon rockets with no real distance which leaves me blank on long approaches from the fairway. I hit my 4i around 195 and my 3h around 210. My 3 or 4 wood I happen to be bagging at the time may go 225 once in a while but typically it's going 190 so it ends up being the bad choice when I find myself 220 or so from a green. I don't really have a problem getting any club up in the air, in fact I have more of a problem keeping them down with a driver or woods so I think I want to try a low lofted hybrid to just take a 3 wood completely out of my bag. I know the Rescue 11 had a 17, Adams has a couple of 15-17's, are there any others? I have good days and bad days so something with a lot of forgiveness is a plus, I do prefer a somewhat light shaft in my hybrids, I'm strong enough to swing any of them but when I get a heavy one technique tends to disappear and I try to swing it like a hammer and my dispersion goes WAYYY out the window so I swing easier and get better accuracy with lighter shafts.

Options?

I think the Callaway XHot Pro comes in 16*

X-Hot Pro and Stage 2 Tour both had rave reviews on here and from those I've talked to.

I've hit the Stage 2 Tour and liked it a lot, though as someone who prefers fairways, I'm probably not the best to listen to.

Amp cell hybrid - and it's adjustable so you can change the loft fit your gaps

Love mine

Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid has setting with 16*, 17*, and 17* Draw. Plenty of options!

Ping makes a 17* hybrid in the G25 and Anser models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Excellent options, didn't know the Amp's had the option of going that low.

The regular Xhot I can crush (for me at least) but I didn't have a lot of good ball flight with the pro, I tend to hook the ball if I miss with the regular xhot but I don't miss often with it, I brutally sliced the pro and it was a bit more of a regular miss for me with it.

I'll give the Amp and the Stg 2 a swing if I can find one. I've never played any Cobra clubs but I have had Burner 2.0 hybrids a couple of years back and liked them. The Stg 2 may be similar.

Going to be really hard to find a club with any consistency off the turf with under 20* of loft.. just the way it is. Off the top of my head though, I'd say Adams DHy in its lowest loft of 18*. Super hot, so it'll play at least a degree or 2 lower than most.

I have a 2/3 amp cell hybrid and its great. I think I have it set on 17*draw and it picks the ball up off the ground with no problems. Id say definitely give one a hit if you can.

Going to be really hard to find a club with any consistency off the turf with under 20* of loft.. just the way it is. Off the top of my head though, I'd say Adams DHy in its lowest loft of 18*. Super hot, so it'll play at least a degree or 2 lower than most.

Drew, I've got a 17* Adams A7OS 2H that I love off the turf, so I'd beg to disagree with your statement. I got rid of my 3w for the same reason you're talking about, and have enjoyed having a 2h in my bag instead of a fw. You've been given some good suggestions, but I'd also suggest giving Adams a try, they seem to have fairly popular hybrids, and a number of models to choose from.

Another vote for the CAC 2/3 Hybrid. I'm hitting these as long or sometimes longer than my previous 3 wood. Its much straigher and more forgiving too.

Titleist has a 17*, can adjust down .75* or up 1.5*.

After playing with a buddy in a 2-ball tournament and seeing him pound a 16 degree hybrid all over the place, I picked up a 16* Tour Edge Exotics CB2 to mess around with. Got the head for around $20, very clean and sets up great. Just need to stick in a shaft now.

I have last years Cobra Amp #2 hybrid (17*) and really like it. If you can find one either used or a store still with some back stock I would recommend it. Also there is the current Cobra amp cell 2/3 hybrid that will allow you to adjust your loft. I have a pair of the cells as well and really enjoy them. Either ways a good option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I put an Adams Super LS 15° into play this year to get more versatility over my Titleist 3 wood and I love it. Plays great from the tee and fairway AND (this is why I bought it) the rough. BUT, I will say that there are probably more forgiving clubs out there.

Thanks for the honestly on the LS haha, I played a 19* Titleist 910h for a year or so set to 17.5 which was golden when I was on but if I was off I had issues with it. I'm going to try the RBZ tour and Amp for sure and if I can come across any others I'll give them a swing as well.

I wish I could hit a fairway wood better but try as I might it's just never happened. Half the time I hit it better off the fairway than the tee so I end up going with a 4i or 19* hybrid when a driver is too much leaving me a longer club into the green.

I play a Cleveland Mashie 18 degree 2hy and I love it. They also make a 1hy that's around 15-17 degrees.

However, what I like about the 2hy is that I can hit it very high compared to an iron. So if getting it up TOO much is your problem you may want a 1-2 iron blade.

I wish I had the consistency for something like that but I couldn't hit a blade 1-2 iron if a million bucks was on the line.

I wish I had the consistency for something like that but I couldn't hit a blade 1-2 iron if a million bucks was on the line.

You can pick up a Mashie hybrid with Miyazaki C Kua shaft on eBay for under $40 if you want to try one out.

Your mentioned the TM 11 Rescue in your original post. There's your winner right there.

It's offered in a 16*, but you can adjust it to 1* open & it drops the loft to 15*. That would also help with your hook misses.

I have the Mashie M1 (15.5*) collecting dust in the closet. It's hook city for me, but would be great for people who miss right.

Ping makes a 17* hybrid in the G25 and Anser models.

Was going to say this. If you're looking to go lower and want a cheaper option, check out the Mashie Plus hybrids. They go all the way down to 15.5˚ in the M1.

Was going to say this. If you're looking to go lower and want a cheaper option, check out the Mashie Plus hybrids. They go all the way down to 15.5˚ in the M1.

This is the best option I think, especially considering how cheap the experiment will be for you. The Mashie hybos are awesome in the lower lofts because the ball gets up easy - I like them less in the higher lofts for precisely this reason.

I did exactly what you are thinking op. Was struggling with consistency with my 3w off the deck. Found a great deal on the TM 11' 2h and it is much better for me. With the new sldr rescue coming out I will probably try to snag a stage2 tour2 rescue due to price drops.

Back