Mizuno JPX EZ Iron Preview Thread

Lets please please please not go down the cast/forged road again. There is a thread for that.

I've hit both on the GG LM. Both were long & straight. The cast was like auto-pilot. The ball just disappeared with a whoosh. The forged had a little more feel to it. Forged size and top line were more appealing to me, but a far as the result, both were great.

Having said that, for me feel is just for enjoyment, the ball is only in contact with the club face for less than half a millisecond and transferring 4000 pounds of force to the ball. Nothing I feel will effect my ability to manipulate what happens in those 400 microseconds, but the Forged was a little more satisfying FWIW.

Lets please please please not go down the cast/forged road again. There is a thread for that.

Amen to that! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Having said that, for me feel is just for enjoyment, the ball is only in contact with the club face for less than half a millisecond and transferring 4000 pounds of force to the ball. Nothing I feel will effect my ability to manipulate what happens in those 400 microseconds, but the Forged was a little more satisfying FWIW.

Id agree with that. Feel is a funny thing. We all want it but I'm not sure it does much good because we don't always know why we mishit a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't care about cast vs forged. Feel comes from a combination of things. I think it was Wishon who wrote that shaft torque had more impact on "feel" than anything else. I wouldn't know, but whatever the reason the forged version of the EZ had more tactile feel than the cast. Not better or worse, just a little more. But again, so what. By the time I feel impact, the ball is already on its way.

Going to be getting a range session in with these irons today. Jjmorris will be joining me and getting some work in with them as well. I have a feeling Jesse is going to like them a lot! I might just set up shop and hit 4 irons through the back of the range all day! Haha.

Going to be getting a range session in with these irons today. Jjmorris will be joining me and getting some work in with them as well. I have a feeling Jesse is going to like them a lot! I might just set up shop and hit 4 irons through the back of the range all day! Haha.

DEFINITELY curious on Jesse's thoughts. These could be right up his alley.

How's the wind today Jake? I'm hoping for a somewhat normal weekend.

How's the wind today Jake? I'm hoping for a somewhat normal weekend.
Going to be a bit breezy (of course) but the range we're going to it will be a tail wind of about 17 to 20 mph. So I'll have a blast hitting hit bombs with these out there today.

That's the best. I'm guessing 230 yard 4 irons.

I know they are totally different heads, but I am curious about your thoughts on those 105 shafts compared to the CTL's, especially with how they feel.

I know they are totally different heads, but I am curious about your thoughts on those 105 shafts compared to the CTL's, especially with how they feel.

Its something I'm keeping a hard eye on and a lot of curiosity on myself with the Forged.

I'll be trying to focus more on the shafts and how they feel to me today. Better chance to do it on the range than just throwing them in the bag for 36 holes on the course.

Be careful, he's wirey.
I'm not worried about him....once I get a hold of him it's over. HA!

Excellent. That's a good point. Dang, I want to go to the range today too.

DEFINITELY curious on Jesse's thoughts. These could be right up his alley.

I agree, I'll probably have to pry them from his grasp when we leave the range!

Be careful, he's wirey.

jake is sure doing a good job settin the hook. Dammit

I'll be interested to see how you hit these puppies. Those shafts with the high launch, should work really well with these irons. You know, these sort of remind me of the X-24 Hot irons from Callaway. They are different of course, but the dark color of the iron plus the combo of the orange and black is similar and probably why that comes to mind.

.... do you even text bro?

I've been getting in some work with the JPX EZ irons in conjunction with my testing of the MP-4 irons here these last few days. Today I asked Jjmorris to game these for the round and he was more than happy to oblige. I believe he'll be chiming in with some pretty good thoughts as I watched him play better than I've ever seen him play today. Of course it was better than I've seen him play, in fact it was better than he's ever seen him play. I won't steal his thunder, but it was impressive.

What I've been focusing on with these is that shaft. I'm struggling finding a comparison because it doesn't feel like the C Taper Lite that I have in my X Forged and it doesn't feel like the S300 that are in the MP-4s either. That XP105 is a shaft that's just unique to me....maybe it's the combo of them in the JPX EZ head, I'd love to get one in either my X Forged or the set of MP-4s that I"m doing a review on but I don't see that happening right away. The shaft is light, but you can still feel everything throughout the swing. The ball goes high, real high...but keeping it low isn't a real difficult thing to do at all, I've done it a lot with the JPX EZ and I watched Jesse do it a lot today as well. Fall golf means windy conditions and managing that flight is a must....I'm happy to see that it isn't something that you really have to work TOO hard at with the JPX EZ/XP105 combo.

In my side by side testing it has been pretty fun because I'm a full club to maybe even club and a half longer using the JPX EZ, but that's nothing too out of the ordinary I don't think. Yesterday on the range with a solid 17 mph wind at my back I was knocking the 4 iron out between the 200 and 250 stakes consistenly with a couple of the shots getting some good roll and approaching what is probably that 225 to 230 mark. Oh...with limited flight balls thank you very much! Distance is great and I knew it would be, but what really sets these apart is the forgiveness, I don't think they came up with that name EZ by accident. It almost feels like you could miss anywhere on that club face (within reason) and still find you have serviceable results.

After today these have seen the course for 54 holes and a range session and there are zero signs of wear so far, nothing. I really expect that this finish will hold up quite well over time. I can't wait to hear Jesse's feedback after his round today. Ask him about his shot on hole 8 when he comes!

I was EXTREMELY fortunate to have the opportunity to put these irons in play last weekend. I have gamed irons with similar shape (Machspeed's) in the past, but they are a bit different from the irons I played this season, the J40 DPC's. To be honest, not once during the round did I feel like I was playing a bulkier iron.. more on that.

INITIAL THOUGHTS
I was able to swing them a few times prior on the range Friday prior to our round on Saturday, so I was able to gather a few thoughts. Again, I did not notice them as a more game improvement type iron. When I say this, I am referring to them at address, they have a nice setup. It was hard to judge distance with them since there was a slight tailwind and we had limited flight balls, but everything seemed on par with my previous irons, distance wise. Regardless of the "cast/forged" style, I was getting pretty good feedback. I could tell pretty easy if the shot was hit on center or not, similar to that of the J40's.

ADDRESS
I mentioned this above, but I will say it again, they LOOK GOOD at address. They do have offset, but I was never bothered by that so it isn't an issue for me. More of a rounded profile, right on par with the game improvement iron category they fit in. The sole is large, but they do a good job of hiding it at address, which add to the overall positive look they give at address. Not sure how to describe the color other than possibly matte bronze... but regardless, there is no glare. The color is unique, and fits this iron well.

FLIGHT/SHAFT
I do not have the experience or background to go into specific's when it comes to ball flight and the specific shaft characteristics, but since the shafts weigh about 108g (about 12g less than the PXi's) and are classified as a high launch shaft, I was fairly confident my ball flight would be higher, and it was. I have always struggled getting the ball as high into the air as I would like to and even though I still didn't see the height I am hoping for someday, this shaft pairing with these irons put me much closer. I really would like to get another round in with these before I break down my ball flight since it was pretty windy, but I am confident these irons will bring my ball flight to something I will be satisfied with.

DISTANCE
Again, it was really difficult to tell if my distance was more or less due to the wind, but it appeared to be pretty similar as with previous irons. I know there were a few times I thought I could get there without an extra club, but I usually come up short. I think overall, I would give them a few yards, but definitely wasn't seeing a clubs worth, which is what I was expecting. Not something I care about one way or another, just as long as they are consistent.

OVERALL
I was really impressed with how easy these were to play for not having much time to get acquainted to them. I look forward to hopefully getting another round in with them again knowing my distances better. Parting thought for the day... Hole 8, playing about 142 with a cross wind going left to right ~15 mph. Played the Mizuno JPX EZ 9i a little left of the pin, hoping for my fade and the wind to bring it back in. Ball lands left short of flag, hits the slope of the green perfect, and is heading towards the hole. I didn't realize it at the time but it end up within a foot of the hole and probably rolled by within 2 inches. I know close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and dancing; but it was the closest I have been to a hole-in-one and happily took the tap in bird :thumb:

715D04D0-E25D-441B-A512-1852461210A1-809-000000DDC8AB50CF_zpsc5daaa61.jpg

That's a hell of a shot Jesse. Nice feedback buddy.

Jesse effin Morris everybody. Outstanding write up pal, you might have a future in the business with recaps like that! You forgot to add one small thing, with these in the bag you managed to shoot a new personal best with 2 birdies on the day and several other close calls at birdie. You hit these great and I appreciate you throwing them in the bag and coming in here and adding your feedback for us!!

Oh snap. PB in the fall is always a big accomplishment in my books.

You are correct Jake! I can definitely say I think the PB was in large part due to the irons being more forgiving on mishits then I am used. Can't believe I forgot to go over that, hopefully I can get another round in with them and give better feedback.

Thanks guys!

You are correct Jake! I can definitely say I think the PB was in large part due to the irons being more forgiving on mishits then I am used. Can't believe I forgot to go over that, hopefully I can get another round in with them and give better feedback.

Thanks guys!
Saturday and/or Sunday? I'm going both days. Effin right, that just happened.

Back