Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rickterp. Even 100? That is tough I would spend all night tossing and turning thinking about all the almost things that would have brought me one stroke less!! So close

Jb57. Have fun and good luck! I have to go to a wedding for my wife's best friend. No golf for me. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Geoff, that is a honey do... she'll owe ya one!

Shot 98 today. I learned something in the process.

I played in wet conditions for the first time. I found that you can't finess shots on wet turf. You have to commit to the shot and power through your swing, or the wet grass will eat your clubhead, causing dribble shots and a lot of dirty words! LOL

I can usually finess pitches a little, hold off some on iron approaches etc. But not on wet turf! I hit the ball like 15 yards or less a few times. OMG, ARE YOU KIDDING ME! @#$ %%###%%%!

I learned you have to commit to the shot and power through your swing, or the wet turf will gobble up your clubhead, and rob the momentum from your swing.
I didn't want to over shoot the target, so I took an easy swing. The results were less than stellar! You can do that on dry grass, but wet turf... forget about it. At least that's what I got out of today's round.

Can anyone else confirm this, or did I just hit crappy shots and blame the wet grass?

HOLES123456789OUT101112131415161718INTOTAL
STROKE INDEX173135917151141418261281610
EXTRA STROKES212121111122112211111224
PAR443543445364354434543672
SCORES663552578476366745865198
ROUND SCORE+2+4+4+4+5+4+5+8+11+11+2+2+3+5+8+9+10+13+15+15+26
NET SCORE451431467354254534753974 (+2)
PUTTS221221233182222221231836
GIR
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-03.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-03.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-03.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
score-card-icon-04.png
13/18
FIR000/0

Last edited:
Two steps forward, one step back. Shot 108 today. I didn't manage the game very well. My shots were tree magnets. I knew it wasn't going to be my day when I shot 10 on the first hole! I hit trees twice on that hole. I knew I should have punted in the fairway after the tee shot into the trees! But no.... I'm gonna fire one right up over those tree branches, right at the pin... NOT! I did it two times in a row! LOL

I just didn't play smart, and hit some awful shots... Oh, well... That's why I'm sticking around this thread for a while. Not going to jump to the "trying to break 90" until I can be consistent.

How is everyone else doing?

Two steps forward, one step back. Shot 108 today. I didn't manage the game very well. My shots were tree magnets. I knew it wasn't going to be my day when I shot 10 on the first hole! I hit trees twice on that hole. I knew I should have punted in the fairway after the tee shot into the trees! But no.... I'm gonna fire one right up over those tree branches, right at the pin... NOT! I did it two times in a row! LOL

I just didn't play smart, and hit some awful shots... Oh, well... That's why I'm sticking around this thread for a while. Not going to jump to the "trying to break 90" until I can be consistent.

It happens jb, I have struggled as of late too high 90's and a couple rounds right at 100. At least you know where you went wrong today "course management" is key to getting around shy of 100 as well as knowing when to take your medicine.

Keep at it and when you get in those situations remember to take your medicine and play for bogey.

It happens jb, I have struggled as of late too high 90's and a couple rounds right at 100. At least you know where you went wrong today "course management" is key to getting around shy of 100 as well as knowing when to take your medicine.

Keep at it and when you get in those situations remember to take your medicine and play for bogey.

I'm right there with ya! Maybe we can play match this Sunday! Lol
Never played match before.

Just call me...Barb

Sounds like fun gonna be a tough track from the looks online

It's so hard to take the "smart shot" and kick it out to the fairway sometimes. I know at times i'll slice out into the trees and of course have no line of site but then i'mlikeif ican hood my shot with a low iron to the left i can hit a 50 yard shot instead of a 150 yard shot.. sometimes it works.. a lot of times it does not..
LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I started golfing about 7 months ago and shot somewhere between 115-120 initially, I got down to low 100s quite rapidly and in the last 2 months have usually been shooting mid to low 90s (although I slip up and some days). What really got my game going was 1) learning how to drive 2) ball striking and 3) not 3 putting every hole. I shot 93 yesterday, of those strokes 41 were putts. 5 triple putts and 13 two putts. I'm quite good with my everything now save putting (fir 60-80 percent and gir 40 ish percent). Why is practicing the most essential part of the game soooooo boring... My dad always laughs at me when we play (he's 11 handicap) and tells me "drive for show but you putt for dough".

In my Taylormade catalina 3.0 cart bag:
Callaway RAZR X irons 4-sw
Callaway RAZR X HL 3H 21*
Callaway RAZR Hawk 3W 15*
Callaway RAZR FIT Xtreme 10.5*
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52* wedge
Nike VR pro 60* wedge
Odyssey metal X #9 putter

Drive for show, putt for dough

Sent from my nexus 10 (Tapatalk)

After hitting a 106 on my home course a couple of weeks ago (and a 54 on the front 9!) I went back and took 6 strokes off the front and shot a 48 Sunday. Felt great, and aside from some really poor long iron shots probably could have gone even lower.

Four of those shots saved was from putting, which is only half the story. 5 of 8 shots with wedges got to within 4'. So even though I had fewer GIRs, namely 0, I scrambled better than I ever have, allowing me to save par or bogey far more often than I ever have.

Knowing I've been able to knock it close gives me more confidence to swing away with my irons. Maybe I get on the green, maybe I don't. But it's nice to be able to pitch it accurately. Saves a lot of putting. Helps also that the aeration of the greens is about done, and me and my new putter are getting a long much better, especially in regards to pace. Lag putting was much better, which means 1 3-jack in 9 holes.

My next round will be Sunday.
And I fully intend to break 100!

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

I'm still around... work is kicking my butt. Not sure when I am going to get back out there...

But I am living vicariously through you guys, even if I can't find the time to post!

Michigan Slice... I can't wait to follow your Morgan Cup road trip!!!! :banana:

Played 18 today

52-47 played the course backwards today started on 10, 6/14 FIR, 2/18 GIR, 39 putts (21/18) some terrible pin placement and punched greens- lipped 5-6 putts left a couple just short 150 and in just wasn't there today really struggled with the Pw and Gw hitting fat, 3wd wasn't good today.

Upside is I drove pretty good and my misses except 1 wasn't killer to my score.

this was with 2birds and 1par. I want to vomit as I immediately blew up after the birds and par.

104 yesterday. Felt like I was going to shoot under 100. First birdie but zero pars. It's my third best score I think, so I can't complain too much.

CRW keep at it and the score will drop. Were you watching your score or have any clue where you were at during your round?

Can you pick any area that hurt you the most on the course yesterday? That you need to spend some extra practice time on?

Yep. Didn't make the range all week and my iron shots killed me. A lot of mis-hits that went in all directions and way short. I'm usually consistent with my driver and irons. I can't hit my fairway woods or hybrid consistently yet.

Got out for the first time in awhile yesterday. Weirdest round of golf so far this year, kind of summed up my season in a nutshell. I ended up carding a 54/51=105. I had three pars, a bunch of bogies, and some really crooked numbers all mixed in. I had my worst day putting all year, carding 42 putts. I had no tempo putting all day. Great day with the driver; 7/14 FIR and 4/18 GIR which was pretty decent all things considered. A reasonable putting performance and I would have been in the nineties. Hopefully I will get out again a few times before the snow flies but given temps won't break 50 much more around here it will be tough to score.

Went 54/47 today.

The back 9 was maybe the best 9 I've ever played.

Finished triple, double. And missed 4 putts putts on the other 7 holes by 4" or less.

If this is my last golf round for the season, it's a round to build on!

Bring on this lessons, and bring on the breaking 90 thread next season!

Just call me...Barb

A few more stats today as I'm breaking my round down.
5/14 fairways hit. (4 In the last 9, many misses not too far off fairway)
1/18 GIR (ouch!)
5 penalties

31 putts. ( only 1 3 jack!)

Just call me...Barb

Got out for the first time in awhile yesterday. Weirdest round of golf so far this year, kind of summed up my season in a nutshell. I ended up carding a 54/51=105. I had three pars, a bunch of bogies, and some really crooked numbers all mixed in. I had my worst day putting all year, carding 42 putts. I had no tempo putting all day. Great day with the driver; 7/14 FIR and 4/18 GIR which was pretty decent all things considered. A reasonable putting performance and I would have been in the nineties. Hopefully I will get out again a few times before the snow flies but given temps won't break 50 much more around here it will be tough to score.

Keep at it and when the greens firm up land'em short of the flag and let them roll to it.
Went 54/47 today.

The back 9 was maybe the best 9 I've ever played.

Finished triple, double. And missed 4 putts putts on the other 7 holes by 4" or less.

If this is my last golf round for the season, it's a round to build on!

Bring on this lessons, and bring on the breaking 90 thread next season!

Just call me...Barb

A few more stats today as I'm breaking my round down.
5/14 fairways hit. (4 In the last 9, many misses not too far off fairway)
1/18 GIR (ouch!)
5 penalties

31 putts. ( only 1 3 jack!)

Just call me...Barb

Great job Barb work on eliminating the penalties and hitting more GIR and that short game and you'll be on fire dude!

Joining the Trying to Break 100 Club

Joining the Trying to Break 100 Club

I am in the club. Let me just say it is refreshing to see so many truthful posts from novice golfers like myself, some golf sites seem to be all hotshots. I am 52 though fit and very young at heart, but just been playing through 2 summers now.
My scores are typically 110+ this summer with a couple lower scores but not quite breaking 100. Biggest problem is consistency, i.e. big slices, chunks, topped shots, but mixed in with some very respectable shots of all types.
I just want to not slice my drive into the next fairway, then top it with my 3-wood then push one iron shot 50 yards to the right then pull my next drive.. you know, like I said I also hit some decent shots I just need more of them.
I realize that the best way to improve quicker would be to play all the time, which I would love to do but it is not really feasible. I played about a dozen times this season so only 2-3 times a month, and that is more than I played last year. I practice at least a couple times a week at the range. Also I have taken lessons twice now and it helps but does not automatically make you good. also I have watched a lot of golf instructional videos, I mean a lot, probably too many. But knowing what I should do does not always work. My body just spazzes out and does it wrong sometimes :DAnyway I am hooked and love playing except of course it is frustrating to suck haha.

Last edited:
I am in the club. Let me just say it is refreshing to see so many truthful posts from novice golfers like myself, some golf sites seem to be all hotshots. I am 52 though fit and very young at heart, but just been playing through 2 summers now.
My scores are typically 110+ this summer with a couple lower scores but not quite breaking 100. Biggest problem is consistency, i.e. big slices, chunks, topped shots, but mixed in with some very respectable shots of all types.
I just want to not slice my drive into the next fairway, then top it with my 3-wood then push one iron shot 50 yards to the right then pull my next drive.. you know, like I said I also hit some decent shots I just need more of them.
I realize that the best way to improve quicker would be to play all the time, which I would love to do but it is not really feasible. I played about a dozen times this season so only 2-3 times a month, and that is more than I played last year. I practice at least a couple times a week at the range. Also I have taken lessons twice now and it helps but does not automatically make you good. also I have watched a lot of golf instructional videos, I mean a lot, probably too many. But knowing what I should do does not always work. My body just spazzes out and does it wrong sometimes :DAnyway I am hooked and love playing except of course it is frustrating to suck haha.

Welcome to THP first and foremost!

Working on a consistent ball placement and good tempo definitely helps with directional consistency. Not swinging for the fences also helps a lot a nice smooth swing is many times the answer.

Keep playing and practicing using the drills you got in your lessons will get you to under 100

Add me to the club, I don't think I'll ever break 100. For some odd reason I just keep coming back for another round of punishment. Sad thing is I know I can hit some good shots I just can't seem to make the shot when it counts.

Just call me SNOWMAN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back