The Official 2009 NFL Thread

JB I always enjoy our conversations even if we rarely agree on anything. I bow to your knowledge on this. Montana is a perfect example though of great accuracy but not phenomenal arm strength.

So you don't think those are the passes being picked? I never said that that is the only pass thrown. How many years did you play in the NFL?

Actually it's the job of both the QB and receiver to read the defense and adjust the route to take the path of least resistance. When both make the same correct read at the same time, the QB looks like Peyton Manning. If either one sees it differently then all sorts of bad things might happen. The thing is, a good quarterback goes to his 2nd or 3rd receiver, or if time runs out, he tries to get out of the pocket and throw the ball away. Cutler simply fails in those things that the better QB's do to avoid the picks. I don't know if its poor reads, overconfidence, bad decisions, or a bit of all 3, but you can't put all the blame on the receivers when the QB is constantly throwing into strong coverage. If the guy is covered, then don't throw it there. :dohanim:

He made the same blunders here in Denver, maybe not at quite the same pace, but it was still very frustrating. And too many of those picks were in the red zone... we lost games too often because he lost us the chance at a field gold try that could have been the difference in the game. :banghead:

What the heck happened that the Denver-Philly game still has 49 seconds left in the third quarter at 5:51? Did this game not start on time?

What the heck happened that the Denver-Philly game still has 49 seconds left in the third quarter at 5:51? Did this game not start on time?

It started right at 2:15 MDT. And ended with another Denver last minute loss. :angry:

Jason Campell is another one that holds the ball WAY too long. Go Dallas!!

It seems my Giants forgot to show up at their game. 41-9 loss ... nice!!:angry::at-wits-end:

Last edited:
Wow! All the undefeated teams are no longer undefeated, and just one more week left, wow....

If Tampa can somehow win next week too, the Chiefs could get the third pick in the draft!

Jason Campell is another one that holds the ball WAY too long. Go Dallas!!

On the surface that seems to be the case but in reality, he simply doesn't have an effective O-line to allow him to operate efficiently. I think Campbell is basically a pocket-passer, but he has no definable "pocket" from which to operate. He's relegated to quick throws when what he really wants to do is to take the time to go through his reads. The fact that his protection breaks down so quickly makes it seem as if he's holding the ball too long.

If Washington can get the personnel to develop a solid O-line that can actually hold their blocks for longer than a couple of seconds, Campbell could then implement the five and seven-step drops and reads that most quarterbacks, with ample protection, use on a regular basis. But with the line he has now, a three-step drop is all he has time for and he's just not a three-step passer.

-JP

I took this quote directly from Peter King's MMQ:

Colts fans and NFL fans are seething. This e-mail from a 45-year Colts fan, Ron Olshemsky of Sherrill, N.Y., in the wake of the 14-0 Colts yanking many of their starters with a 15-10 lead in the third quarter, and going on to lose 29-15 to the Jets at home: "I have experienced all of the ups and downs and aggravations that any fan has. I don't recall having a reaction like I had when they pulled the starters. If you don't aspire to greatness, what is the point? I could have dealt with a Peyton Manning injury better than what I feel like now. If it took the wind out of my sails, what do they think is going to happen to the players? You could tell by their reactions on the sidelines. Honestly, I look for an early exit again. Even though I can't stand Bill Belichick, I respected the fact he played that last regular season game against the Giants in 2007 like it was the Super Bowl. How many chances for immortality are there?''

What troubles me the most about this letter from a "fanatic" is that I doubt he would have felt that way if Peyton's leg had been snapped in two playing in a meaningless regular season game.

The regular season means absolutely NOTHING! You are playing for a title and I think he fails to realize that.

That said, I think all Jets fans and the entire Jets organization need to send the Colts a little something because they had a zero shot of winning that game had Manning and the rest of Colts stayed in the game.

I took this quote directly from Peter King's MMQ:

Colts fans and NFL fans are seething. This e-mail from a 45-year Colts fan, Ron Olshemsky of Sherrill, N.Y., in the wake of the 14-0 Colts yanking many of their starters with a 15-10 lead in the third quarter, and going on to lose 29-15 to the Jets at home: "I have experienced all of the ups and downs and aggravations that any fan has. I don't recall having a reaction like I had when they pulled the starters. If you don't aspire to greatness, what is the point? I could have dealt with a Peyton Manning injury better than what I feel like now. If it took the wind out of my sails, what do they think is going to happen to the players? You could tell by their reactions on the sidelines. Honestly, I look for an early exit again. Even though I can't stand Bill Belichick, I respected the fact he played that last regular season game against the Giants in 2007 like it was the Super Bowl. How many chances for immortality are there?''

What troubles me the most about this letter from a "fanatic" is that I doubt he would have felt that way if Peyton's leg had been snapped in two playing in a meaningless regular season game.

The regular season means absolutely NOTHING! You are playing for a title and I think he fails to realize that.

That said, I think all Jets fans and the entire Jets organization need to send the Colts a little something because they had a zero shot of winning that game had Manning and the rest of Colts stayed in the game.

Sorry, but I agree with the "fanatic".

I think that pulling the starters in that game was wrong on at least three levels.

1. They're playing against a team that could be a future playoff opponent and a win over the Jets would have eliminated them from the playoffs. Instead, pulling the starters (and installing the Keystone Kops in their place) allowed the Jets to gain control of the game and ultimately kept their playoff hopes alive.
  2. The players - the starters - deserve to be allowed to try to achieve the elusive "undefeated season" and pulling them virtually threw that idea out the window and (judging by the looks on their faces) pissed them off to no end, which cannot be good for morale.
  3. A disservice was done to the fans who pay dearly for those seats in that shiny new stadium and who - more than anyone else - deserve to see a quality product on the field and to get their money's worth and to share in the possibility of that undefeated season as well.

If the intention was to "protect" players, then they ought to have at least waited for their lead to increase to the point where the second team could manage that lead and allow for the possibility of remaining undefeated.

As far as the tactical aspect goes, showing "Painter" to the world was as good as saying "If you can knock Manning out of the game, then it's as good as done" because Painter, to put the right word in the right place - sucks! All that did was prove to the league that Manning is the glue that holds this team together and that can't bode well for Manning in the future.

And the idea that they basically allowed a possible opponent into the playoffs when a win would have assured their elimination is inexcusable. Things like that have a way of coming back and haunting you and it would serve them right if the Jets gained some steam in the early rounds of the playoffs and ended up being the team to oust Indy from the playoffs.

All in all, if I were an Indy fan, I'd be furious right now.

-JP

I can see both sides of it, but I agree with the head coach on this one, it's not worth the risk because like you said, Manning is the glue.

Indy has taken this conservative approach in the past by resting their starters leading up to the playoffs and it has blown up in their face.

You are right though...the players did not look happy and Manning kept his helmet on the whole time.

JP:

I agree that they should have kept the key players in the game until the outcome was not in doubt.

However, did you think that maybe they don't mind the possibility of playing the Jets (rather than a team that would move above the Jets had the Colts won) in the playoffs? There are three 8-7 teams that are on the outside looking in as of today.

I find it interesting that even if the current 5 seed (Denver) wins next week, they still need help to get in the playoffs. Baltimore, who is currently out of the playoffs, is in if they win next week.

JP:

However, did you think that maybe they don't mind the possibility of playing the Jets (rather than a team that would move above the Jets had the Colts won) in the playoffs? There are three 8-7 teams that are on the outside looking in as of today.

You hit the nail on the head Smalls. Sure fans want them to win them all. What fan doesnt. But those same fans would be crying foul and blaming the coach if Manning, or any other key player got hurt at any point in that game and saying the "season was over, why did we play the starters".

The organization knew what they were doing. They knew the teams that needed them to win. And the thought of teams now saying "oh, all we have to do is get Manning out of the game" is laughable. What team did not know that already?

I understand why Indy pulled the starters but I really want some team to go undeafted just so I don't have to hear about the Dolphins perfect season anymore!!!!!!!!

Mercury Morris can suck it

You hit the nail on the head Smalls. Sure fans want them to win them all. What fan doesnt. But those same fans would be crying foul and blaming the coach if Manning, or any other key player got hurt at any point in that game and saying the "season was over, why did we play the starters".

The organization knew what they were doing. They knew the teams that needed them to win. And the thought of teams now saying "oh, all we have to do is get Manning out of the game" is laughable. What team did not know that already?

Well, I've always looked at such things like this:

If you drive with confidence, you can drive very fast and you can see the road and you can avoid obstacles as if they didn't exist. But if you drive cautiously and are always fearful of having an accident, that's when you'll have one.

I have no problem resting starters if you're playing against some bottom-feeder with no hope of a playoff shot and if there's nothing like an undefeated season on the line. But to let a team that was on life support back into the game - to actually now control their own destiny is wrong. When an opponent is down, you step on his neck and put him out of his misery. The idea that a team would allow an opponent to remain in contention because they'd somehow translate into some kind of "easy win" in the future is ridiculous. No truly competitive team would do such a thing.

Not only that, but now Peyton has a huge Bull's-eye painted on him and don't think for a minute that other teams won't be aiming for his knees knowing that if they take him out of a game, Indy will be toast.

And as far as Painter is concerned, they did ZERO for his confidence by placing him in a situation for which he was completely unprepared and doing so by also removing other starters from the lineup. What does this do for HIS future? If he's actually called upon to replace Manning in a playoff game, what "fond memories" does he have to draw from? He'll be a nervous wreck!

And lastly, the fans.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, football (like all other sports) is primarily entertainment and people pay to see the main event, not some unreasonable facsimile. What about them? Don't THEY deserve a chance to cheer an undefeated season? What "money's worth" did they derive from last night's debacle?

I think that in attempting to guard against some imaginary injury, Caldwell only served to do more harm than good to the fans, the starters and the overall morale of both.

Again, a bad idea overall.

-JP

STEELERS NOTE:

The Steelers will clinch a playoff spot this weekend if any one of the following three steps is met in its entirety:

1) Steelers win and Houston loses or ties, and New York Jets lose or tie.

2) Steelers win and Houston loses or ties and Baltimore loses or ties.

3) Steelers win and New York Jets lose or tie and Baltimore loses or ties and Denver loses or ties.

Piece of cake, right?

Of course, this would have been a bit simpler if Indy hadn't rolled over and let the Jets back in, but it is what it is.

-JP

This sounds far more like a Steelers fan upset than anything else. It hurt your chances of the playoffs just a little bit more.
Not a team in the NFL has ever thought that Painter was adequate to fill in for Manning (A guy you have said about 10 times in this thread is overrated and you are not sold on) so that is laughable to think that now teams are going after his knees, but have not been in the past.

The team knew what they were doing and whether fans like it or not, their goal is the championship and not going undefeated. If they lose, then fans can chime in and complain. BUt if they win it all, nobody will say a word.

However if a star would have been hurt yesterday, everybody would have screamed.

This sounds far more like a Steelers fan upset than anything else. It hurt your chances of the playoffs just a little bit more.
Not a team in the NFL has ever thought that Painter was adequate to fill in for Manning (A guy you have said about 10 times in this thread is overrated and you are not sold on) so that is laughable to think that now teams are going after his knees, but have not been in the past.

The team knew what they were doing and whether fans like it or not, their goal is the championship and not going undefeated. If they lose, then fans can chime in and complain. BUt if they win it all, nobody will say a word.

However if a star would have been hurt yesterday, everybody would have screamed.

I disagree (I know...you're crushed).

To me, if a team is on a roll, then staying on that roll is just as important - if not more so than guarding against what "might" happen. In a nutshell, what Caldwell did was the living, breathing definition of "Buzzkill" for the team and the fans alike and I think it was a poor choice.

As for the Steelers, yes, I wanted the Jets out, but I have no illusions about their presence or exclusion making it any easier for the Steelers to reach the postseason. One more win than they have or could possibly have is what would have done that and they have no one to blame but themselves for not having that one more "W".

But where there's life, there's hope!

We'll see...

-JP

Reactions: JB
This sounds far more like a Steelers fan upset than anything else...
Ding ding ding.

That said, I am paying off my bet of the Chargers losing to the Steelers Week 4 this season. My buddy (die hard Steelers fan) is taking me to the Dolphins game this weekend, dressed as a Steelers fan. I asked him to get some face paint so I can be incognito.

So, this weekend, I am a Steelers fan...
Vomit_7L6JUI.gif

I'm going to root my ass off, because I know he would do the same thing if the tables were turned.

Last year, he made me wear Steelers crap on my wedding day...we played golf the morning of my wedding.

stfsh1.jpg

-JP

I understand why Indy pulled the starters but I really want some team to go undeafted just so I don't have to hear about the Dolphins perfect season anymore!!!!!!!!

Mercury Morris can suck it

I am with you 100%!! I hate that party they have every year when the last undefeated team loses, that is the only reason I was rooting for Colts.

I think the Colts really did that game all wrong. If your team is out of sync and playing bad that seems like the perfect time to keep everyone in and work out the kinks. I dont care about injuries. Thats part of the game. So now the Colts will lose next week and go into the bye week with a 2 game skid. First round exit coming right up!

lol yeah thats what I meant. One and done! On another note while back in Arlington for Christmas I went by the Stadium and words cant describle that place in person. Just WOW! It was late at night so I didnt think anything would be open but I tried one of the glass doors by where we were standing and it was open. Went in to the next glass barrior where you could see that huge TV. We all stood there in awe it was so big. That is one nice place.

Back