Selling a Timeshare!!

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
We purchased a timeshare, and I still don't know why we did (very good salespeople) and I need to sell it because I've been the one paying for it and even though its a great investment, its just not practical presently. We still owe another 7-8 years of monthly payments, which is just way too much! The company we bought it from will not buy it back and they won't help sell it either. We've advertised on Sellmytimesharenow.com about a year and a half ago, no interest in it, and its still being advertised. Is there another way to go about selling this thing? Its not bad, its in San Diego and you get 3 weeks a year and we bought the most expensive one there is with a 2 bedroom/2 bath with a lockout. But its just not affordable right now...we've even had a hard time in making exchanges to go other places and we're finally going to Hawaii in May after numerous requests. Its not as easy as they make it seem...

Even though we own a timeshare (WorldMark), IMO it's not a great investment. Ours is paid for but we still have to pay yearly maintenance fees. Dave Ramsey advises against buying them as an investment. I think the market is flooded with timeshare sales GC, and that's why you're having a hard time selling.

Having said that, we do enjoy ours often. We love the Oregon Coast and there are many beach properties that have great availability. The kids love going too. The only time we used a WM property other than an Oregon one was last year when we stayed in a resort in Anaheim before our cruise.

Its also not easy to go on vacation anywhere else, unless its your home resort. That's no fun always going to the same place!!! I just can't seem to get rid of this thing. The free gifts you get when you take the tour, absoutely useless and inconvenient (i.e. tickets to the Padres game, but only Monday-Thursday night games only, and only for certain ones).

Unfortunately, I've already spent a pretty penny putting our timeshare up for sale, and its still on the website, so I don't want to be spending more money just to sell this thing...right now, its more trouble than its worth!

Aren't there a few companies that actually buy your timeshares instead of host the ones you want to sell?

Aren't there a few companies that actually buy your timeshares instead of host the ones you want to sell?

I actually have no idea!!

this is why the consumers need a bail out too.....just saying. :act-up:

You just gotta love it, I just called my timeshare company and she told me to Google for websites that sell timeshares...

I thought I remember seeing somewhere sites where you can just sell weeks from your timeshare? You would still unfortunately be responsible for the maintenance fees etc but at least you could get back some of your money a little at a time.

My ex girlfriend and I used to love doing the time share thing down in Cabo. That is until on one sales pitch they pulled her away for a second and next thing I know she's about ready to buy the damn thing. Luckily I was able to stop her. I've done a couple of the timeshare sales pitch things in california but like you mentioned the gifts are almost impossible to use. Down in Cabo I've gotten fishing trips, dinners, spa treatments etc. I usually wanted the fishing trips haha.

We could rent it through the company, but they take a 40% cut, which is a heck of a lot. We've tried to rent out our weeks by ourselves, but we don't get people interested and we end up having to go down and staying there instead!!

Time shares--all the down side of real estate and very little of the upside.

I just read where it says to NOT PAY UP FRONT fees to sell your timeshare, ooops :banghead: Its funny, they'll do anything to have you purchase one, we even got free airfare for 2 to Hawaii on the hopes that we'd get into Hawaii, but that expired and we were finally able to get Hawaii after 2 years, but it seems like your'e stuck with it because they won't do anything to help you get out of it...

Time shares--all the down side of real estate and very little of the upside.

The concept isn't bad, in 15 years, you'll still paying the prices you pay today, whereas in 15 years, hotel feels will increase and everything else...BUT annually, the HOA dues increase, so maybe you come out even in the end.

I have only been to one timeshare sales pitch, while we were in Hawaii. Worked out well, we got 4 tickets for a catamaran ride for one hour of listening to carp. They sure turned into asses when I told them no, just give us our tickets, we're not interested. They even asked at the beginning why we were there, and I told them it was for the tickets!

I have only been to one timeshare sales pitch, while we were in Hawaii. Worked out well, we got 4 tickets for a catamaran ride for one hour of listening to carp. They sure turned into asses when I told them no, just give us our tickets, we're not interested. They even asked at the beginning why we were there, and I told them it was for the tickets!
That's a Kansan for ya......better watch that if you move to Cali :D

Has anyone ever seen the South Park where they go to Aspen with a time share. Its one of the best ones.

When I was in Maui a few years ago they had a time share pitch man right at the bottom of my elevator. After the second day I yelled at the guy to leave me alone. They drive me nuts.

They sure turned into asses when I told them no, just give us our tickets, we're not interested. They even asked at the beginning why we were there, and I told them it was for the tickets!

I did one a couple years ago in the Smokey Mountains I told them at the start I was just there for the tickets/money and to just look at what they had to sell not buy made it very clear at the sign in desk and the start of the sales pitch. The sales guy said I had wasted over hour of his time and was very upset with me so was the guy he turned me over to as a last ditch effort. I ask both of them if they did not understand english and the written word, I told them that I wrote down on the sign in sheet I was not interested and told the sign in lady and the sales guy at the start I was not interested.

People that sell time shares are vulture's to put it mildly. I hate to know that was the only way I had to make a living.

I did one a couple years ago in the Smokey Mountains I told them at the start I was just there for the tickets/money and to just look at what they had to sell not buy made it very clear at the sign in desk and the start of the sales pitch. The sales guy said I had wasted over hour of his time and was very upset with me so was the guy he turned me over to as a last ditch effort. I ask both of them if they did not understand english and the written word, I told them that I wrote down on the sign in sheet I was not interested and told the sign in lady and the sales guy at the start I was not interested.

People that sell time shares are vulture's to put it mildly. I hate to know that was the only way I had to make a living.

How do you think I ended up with one? They won't let you leave or go away and they keep giving you more free gifts...

Good luck getting it sold GC.

My wife wanted to go to a sales pitch last time we went to Branson, I refused. I don't remember what they were offering as an incentive to listen to them, to me it just wasn't worth my time.

We have an fractional ownership, similar to a timeshare I guess in Lake Tahoe. We own 25% (13 weeks of use) of the unit which is a 2 bedroom lock off with a living, dining, kitchen area, sleeps 6-10 people including the pullout couch and window seats which turn into twin beds. Ours is right on the gondola at the base of Heavenly with lake views which is pretty nice. It's on a 10yr note with about 4 years left I think, maybe 5. We used it quite extensively for the first few years, not so much the last couple. However, with ours in the rental program it covers the mortgage on it, especially in the winter months as it typically rents out for $300-400 a night and will be booked from Nov-March almost every night. I think there were only 2 weeks we have had it that it hasn't been rented in over 2 years. Tough sell though currently. There are quite a few up for sell at our complex for 50% less than what they paid for it. We were the 3rd person from the public to buy, so we could still sell ours above what we paid if we wanted to as we bought 2 years before ground breaking. After the mortgage is paid we just pay HOA fees. Acutally one of the smarter moves we have done, luckily.

How do you think I ended up with one? They won't let you leave or go away and they keep giving you more free gifts...

I can understand how they can get their hooks into you with all kinds of free gifts. I ended up walkin away with $100.00 and three nights in a nice cabin in the Somkeys for free. I also felt like I should have watched my back side as I walked away also. LOL

BTW good luck on selling.

I remember when they sold it to us, she said we'd be able to go anywhere we wanted to go, it'd be so easy to exchange, all this hyped stuff, oh and she said they'd be able to help us sell it if we needed them too...well, they're def. not coming through on their part. They don't tell you a lot of things, like you have to call before Aug. 1 to roll over your ununsed points, who knew :confused2:

My parents bought one in Mexico but then immediately sold it after they bought it in fear that we wouldn't use it enough. I'd like to help you out GC but I believe they sold it back to the company.

My parents bought one in Mexico but then immediately sold it after they bought it in fear that we wouldn't use it enough. I'd like to help you out GC but I believe they sold it back to the company.

Thanks anyways Dent, and unfortunately, the company I bought it from won't help in taking it back...just take it back, remove my payments, and we'll call it a day :good:

Why did you buy a timeshare that was only 2 hours away from you? Aren't they really for vacations, so you would buy in say Mexico or Hawaii?

Actually, we bought it in hopes of not using our home resort and going away. But so far, we were only able to get Hawaii (finally) in the 2 years we've been trying to get into Hawaii.

Back