Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For those of you that have gone through some serious swing changes, have the changes been what you expected? Did you get better?

Was it worth it?

I was talking to a buddy Of mine today who used to be a low capper, he switched a few years ago to a stack and tilt type swing and has gone to the birds as he says, he said it as the worst decision he's made in his golfing life. Has it worked for you?

Why or why not?

After I recover from injury, I will be going through one. I will let you know.

After I recover from injury, I will be going through one. I will let you know.

What did you do man? You hurt bad?

I over hauled my swing in 2002. It took a go 6 months and it was a great change. I worked on my move everyday no matter what. Bad scores bad swings and bad thoughts. But if you work and practice right, the move and theory will take hold

Overhauled my swing last year for MC, and it really paid dividends. It was a painful process at times, but patience and persistence makes it worth it. I would recommend it if you really want to turn the corner. I think it's definitely worth it.

I have never made an "overhaul" but big changes nonetheless. The hardest thing for me is not to reverting back when things get tough.

Have a belief in the journey.

im currently going over a major swing overhaul, i had a pretty decent raw swing until about a month ago. Now im trying to sequence better and hit down on the ball.

is it painlful? yes? is it worth it when i do sequence right and square the club face up? yes. im using the dirt, mse, and sean foley videos

Trout, it took me to a land of no return and I honestly still have doubts when I step on a tee as to which way I want to curve the ball. I can do it both ways now but all too often, I double cross myself. I wish I could hit a straight ball and throw both fade and hook out the window. I hated to have major surgery on my knee however I think it will be a blessing for me as far as my golf game goes. I truly want to come out and play the game with my natural instincts and stop all the crazy thoughts in my head. A bunch of rambling but for me, I wish I had never changed anything and played golf my way.

If I make any changes they will be very small, I was asking because my buddy who used to regularly kick my arse can't play worth a damn after his changes. I'm interested in hearing the success stories as well as the failures, Gray buddy, thanks for the honesty

I would say my major overhaul to my swing was 7 years ago when I started playing golf and stopped playing baseball/softball. Each year since there has been a focus on minor changes/improvements to get the swing where I want it.

I've overhauled my swing this yr and still have some work to do to be happy with it as I didn't end up having the time I thought I would have had.

I have become a better ball striker with my irons and started gaining better consistency with driver as the season came to an end.

Did I get better yes and no, my scores haven't dropped yet but I have become more consistent.

Was it worth it yes as I know it will lead to better scores and more fun on the course.

I will continue my work this winter to finish the rebuild with the same instructor.

Yes it was worth it. However, it takes a lot of work and is still hard to consistently perform. One thing about the messed up old swing was that I had a reliable one way miss (hook). I underestimated the value that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Im starting a journey with GOlftec in the next few weeks to make some changes to my swing, I'll hopefully keep the progress on here so feel free to follow along.

Im starting a journey with GOlftec in the next few weeks to make some changes to my swing, I'll hopefully keep the progress on here so feel free to follow along.

Nice to hear mike. I myself start Saturday. Here comes single digits.

If I make any changes they will be very small, I was asking because my buddy who used to regularly kick my arse can't play worth a damn after his changes. I'm interested in hearing the success stories as well as the failures, Gray buddy, thanks for the honesty
I'm curious what changes you'd make to the swing.

I want to get the right elbow a little closer to the body and get back to a good neutral grip. Sometimes my elbow flies and I start casting. I want a short compact swing and I'll be consulting you this winter lol.

I want to get the right elbow a little closer to the body and get back to a good neutral grip. Sometimes my elbow flies and I start casting. I want a short compact swing and I'll be consulting you this winter lol.
Ok, but you realize that it's going to change your tempo. It's the length of your swing that works with you tempo. We can get that elbow in and increase you load but keep your tempo. Kinda of make you deadly

I did a GolfTec program last year and despite the dismal forecast of a year to fix my swing it took way less time than that. Chipping away at it bit by bit and doing the drills at home thousands of times along with the in bay practice helped me improve from lesson to lesson.

The video used for practice and lessons was a real help and a real eye opener. At first it was "do I really look like that?" which cured a bunch of things right off the hop. Practice time was spent making the change and getting comfortable enough with it to have it working at the next lesson for the most part.

The biggest take away from the whole thing was the knowledge of the swing and how it works, my PPC videos and notes, and the ability and knowledge to be able to follow a poor shot with a good one by going back to the basics of what makes a good swing.

I have changed my swing twice. The most recent change is still ongoing and is making me rethink golf. I wish I would have left it alone. I have gone from 70's/80's golf to 90's/100's golf. I was happier in my ignorance, in not caring that I was (am) a handsy, armsy player. I am trying to get a fuller, more athletic shoulder turn, but can't get the hands and arms to work and now slide forward off of the ball at impact. This is really killing my scores and I really am not having any fun. I know that this is a more "correct" swing, but am not digging it one little bit.
Rob

I did some big overhaul to my swing when I started working at GolfTEC. I did not get the amount of time in the bays that my student got but over 3 years I was able to make some significant changes. I know that if one was to work harder and more frequently than I was able to then it could go a lot quicker. I still have things in my swing that I want to work out and are still there from my "original" swing pre-GolfTEC. The best part about the changes I've made is that I can be away from the course for extended periods of time and pick up a club and get right back to where I left off, just have to get distances back in my mind. Completely worth it.

For me it was worth it, but I was terrible. I started about two years ago. Basically possessed a beginner's home made swing. Not to say I've got anything spectacular today, but I've gone back and looked at the videos. It's a huge difference. Scores and stats show that as well.

I'll let you know. I've just made some pretty decent changes in my swing, and I've been working on it for about 4 weeks now. It's starting to take hold, I'm seeing the results when I focus in distance and trajectory, but when I don't it can get very ugly as it did Thursday (top/slice city on the back 9). That being said, I have a lot of time before next season in earnest and #TheKing, so I'm planning on it helping me out pretty significantly next season.

I went through a pretty massive (to me) swing change a few years ago. This coming from a (at one point) 1 handicap and changed my swing for the better. My swing changes made my swing more repeatable, even with very little practice. This was huge considering how much I get to practice now. With that said, I would like to get some more practice in working on my swing. Good example is my last round I played. It was the tag line of bogey golf without a doubt. I bogeyed the entire front 9 holes. Then I finally had a few pars and one birdie on the back to shoot an 85. Silver lining was that I never had worse than a bogey all day. Prior to that 18 hole round, I hadn't played 18 holes (other than a scramble) since August. I think that says a lot about my swing changes, for not getting to play that often and not getting any doubles or worse. Just need to get up and down more (short game practice) and it could have been way better.

Bottom line, a good, CORRECT swing change...even with a single digit handicapper can be a good thing!

Back