Its chilly here also, only got to 61 today and low will be around 35.

My AC broke in my office today and I actually started sweating a little. Im going to have to get that fixed.

It's just stupid cold here right now, the groundhogs on TV were saying the wind chills will be -35 on Fri. morning.

LLMMMFFFFAAAAAOOOOOO! :D Too funny!

I'm actually wearing a warm long sleeved shirt. I never wear long sleeves!

It is so weird. I grew up for most of my childhood in Northern NV in Lake Tahoe area and I used to be the kid outside in the snow in my shorts and tee shirt. I can still handle the cold fairly well, as we were up there for xmas and I was still in shorts, but I had a fairly heavy coat for me on at night when I was out with the dog and smoking a stogie. I picked up these zip up hoodies from Kohls that have like a fur in them and they are perfect for the weather here at night. Just need some slippers with the fur and I will be set for dog time.

But you understand my pain, Bucky, and I appreciate a fellow Cheesehead's empathy. You're just younger. I used to do stuff in the cold, too. Now it makes my joints ache and my eyeballs hurt. And in reality, it's not even that cold. Like 10* to 15* with a sharp wind chill. It certainly gets colder here. It's been going on for a week, and it's supposed to last another week. That's what gets to a guy.

Kevin
The temps are supposed to get up into the mid 20s this weekend. Thats going to feel like a heatwave.

Cold in the Northeast as well...not to mention all that snow covering the ground.

The closest I've come to golf is JB and GGs "Let's Make a Deal".

I went to the course today to practice and, when I got there, I was told the course was closed.

I queried, "Frost delay?" and the pro shop guy responded "Uhhh no, freeze delay."

Question: Is that a regional thing? Is it always called a "freeze delay" in Tejas, or did the guy maybe misspeak? He seemed confused when I called it a "frost delay."

In the PNW we call it a "frost delay" and it is my understanding that frost, not freezing conditions, poses a danger to the grass. (I still don't understand the agronomical physics behind it.)

We have frost delays in CT.

We have frost delays in CT.

Same thing in Arizona. We have had several lately. In the desert, temps will vary up to 50 degrees from day to night, so frost delays are common in winter.

It is really cold here today, at least by Florida standards. It's 32* right now but feels colder. Yesterday the temperature never got above 48* which is also really cold for here, especially because pretty south.

I went to the course today to practice and, when I got there, I was told the course was closed.

I queried, "Frost delay?" and the pro shop guy responded "Uhhh no, freeze delay."

Question: Is that a regional thing? Is it always called a "freeze delay" in Tejas, or did the guy maybe misspeak? He seemed confused when I called it a "frost delay."

In the PNW we call it a "frost delay" and it is my understanding that frost, not freezing conditions, poses a danger to the grass. (I still don't understand the agronomical physics behind it.)

well I take it you can see the course.you'd have to dig to find grass here and we are supposed to get 4-6" more snow this afternoon.I think our frost delay will last till Feb.

It is really cold here today, at least by Florida standards. It's 32* right now but feels colder. Yesterday the temperature never got above 48* which is also really cold for here, especially because pretty south.

Your statement made me wonder what you do for a source of heat. I'm sure it's not uncommon for folks in "sunny florida" to not have a reliable source of heat.

I recently did away with our fuel oil furnance and replaced it with a natural gas one. It's nice not having to fill up a tank, plus i'll get a nice little tax break.:D

Your statement made me wonder what you do for a source of heat. I'm sure it's not uncommon for folks in "sunny florida" to not have a reliable source of heat.

I recently did away with our fuel oil furnance and replaced it with a natural gas one. It's nice not having to fill up a tank, plus i'll get a nice little tax break.:D

From my understanding the homes in Florida are actually built to keep the cool in so when it's really cold outside it is sometimes even colder in the house. I am pretty sure we have a gas heater for the house. It is very rare to find a house in Florida that doesn't have central AC and with that you also have heat. It smells like crap and is awful on the sinuses so I avoid it if I can, but JB has thinner blood then me so for the last few nights the heat has been on.

From my understanding the homes in Florida are actually built to keep the cool in so when it's really cold outside it is sometimes even colder in the house. I am pretty sure we have a gas heater for the house. It is very rare to find a house in Florida that doesn't have central AC and with that you also have heat. It smells like crap and is awful on the sinuses so I avoid it if I can, but JB has thinner blood then me so for the last few nights the heat has been on.

well, it's good to hear that our fearless leaders are staying warm. This weather has been terribly depressing. All i want to do is get out and review the AD 333's and it doesn't look like that's going to happen for at least a couple of weeks. Courses/practice facilities have been closed here for the past 3 weeks, and with the threat of another snowstorm this weekend, it looks like it might prolong it even more. At least little Foster likes playing with them. They roll great on my hard wood floors.:D

Cold is an understatement here for the next few day's. 19* right now, 1 to 3 inches of more snow expected. But, the fun begins tomorrow with -2* and wind chills expected around -25 below. They are saying -10 below regular temp on Sat and Sunday.

I don't EVEN want to see my next utility bill.

It's frost delay here as well, it will be awhile before we warm up enough to have a frost delay though.

If your furnace smells, then that's a strong indication that something isn't right with it. It shouldn't smell at all unless a rat died in your ductwork, and that would smell with the AC too. In places like Colorado, a furnace is a necessity, but there is no smell or adverse health impact when it runs. If it smells that bad, I'd sure have it checked out.

Well there's that first time you turn it on for the season smell, but it's gone after a couple of minutes.

If your furnace smells, then that's a strong indication that something isn't right with it. It shouldn't smell at all unless a rat died in your ductwork, and that would smell with the AC too. In places like Colorado, a furnace is a necessity, but there is no smell or adverse health impact when it runs. If it smells that bad, I'd sure have it checked out.

Well there's that first time you turn it on for the season smell, but it's gone after a couple of minutes.

We do not have a furnace, in fact I am not sure I have ever seen one haha. When you turn the heat on for the first time in a year there is always a smell, it lasts about 30 minutes and then it's gone. We just have our regular AC that has a switch to turn to heat, it only gets turned on about 4 days out of the year so when you first turn that thing on it smells.

Cold is an understatement here for the next few day's. 19* right now, 1 to 3 inches of more snow expected. But, the fun begins tomorrow with -2* and wind chills expected around -25 below. They are saying -10 below regular temp on Sat and Sunday.

I don't EVEN want to see my next utility bill.

We just got our natural gas bill - $152. It's lower than last year for some reason.

We do not have a furnace, in fact I am not sure I have ever seen one haha. When you turn the heat on for the first time in a year there is always a smell, it lasts about 30 minutes and then it's gone. We just have our regular AC that has a switch to turn to heat, it only gets turned on about 4 days out of the year so when you first turn that thing on it smells.

You probably do GG but you just don't know where it is, because I doubt you have baseboard heat in that new house of yours.

We just got our natural gas bill - $152. It's lower than last year for some reason.

You probably do GG but you just don't know where it is, because I doubt you have baseboard heat in that new house of yours.

Nope there is definitely no furnace, homes here aren't built like they are in the colder climates. The heat comes out of the same place the central A/C does. Our thermostat says, Auto, Off, Heat, when we want the heat we just switch it to heat and that's it. I just confirmed with JB we do not have a furnace.

That's pretty unusual for Florida, usually its nice and toasty warm all year long, haa haa

That's pretty unusual for Florida, usually its nice and toasty warm all year long, haa haa

I know! People don't know what to do around here when it gets this cold. People have gloves and scarves on and earmuffs it's hilarious to watch. It really is cold, and especially where we are by the water the added breeze doesn't help, but I just can't imagine putting gloves on. In college when I was up in Gainesville I would wear gloves, it would get into the teens there, and we had lots of ice on the cars and such, just never snow.

Nope there is definitely no furnace, homes here aren't built like they are in the colder climates. The heat comes out of the same place the central A/C does. Our thermostat says, Auto, Off, Heat, when we want the heat we just switch it to heat and that's it. I just confirmed with JB we do not have a furnace.

Then what generates your heat? I think you must have a furnace if you get heat. It might be an electric furnace (and probably is), but a furnace nonetheless.

I know! People don't know what to do around here when it gets this cold. People have gloves and scarves on and earmuffs it's hilarious to watch. It really is cold, and especially where we are by the water the added breeze doesn't help, but I just can't imagine putting gloves on. In college when I was up in Gainesville I would wear gloves, it would get into the teens there, and we had lots of ice on the cars and such, just never snow.

We must have your weather and you have our weather...its been nice lately, closet to about 80* in some parts...and in January too....

Then what generates your heat? I think you must have a furnace if you get heat. It might be an electric furnace (and probably is), but a furnace nonetheless.

Is it a heat pump? http://www.doityourself.com/stry/choose-heat

Furnace, Boiler, Heat Pump -- Which is Best?

If you are in the market to buy a new furnace, boiler, or heat pump, you need to know the differences so you make the right decision for your home and needs.
What is a Furnace?
A furnace is an enclosed heating unit that heats air by transferring heat in a metal combustion chamber to the air and circulating it throughout heating ducts in the house. Furnaces can run on electricity, natural gas, propane or fuel oil.

What is a Boiler?
A boiler is a heating system that consists of a sealed chamber that converts water to steam or heats water for circulation in a hydronic heating system. If you have radiators distributed throughout your home you have a boiler. (Although some boilers distribute heat through baseboard heaters or even radiant pipes embedded in your floors!)

What Is a Heat Pump?
A heat pump is an electric air conditioning and heating system that captures existing outdoor heat and transfers the heat into the home. Like a warm-air furnace a heat pump distributes heat through the air ducts in your home.

Back