Morning Drive: Architects Week (12/2 - 8)

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
For anyone interested in course architecture, this week on Morning Drive, each day will feature a couple well known architects discussing different aspects of course design. Today featured Bill Coore and Greg Norman. The segments with Coore were really good.

Here's a link to one of the segments. The rest from today can be found under related videos (under the video you're watching).

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/sense-direction-coore-course-routing/

Tomorrow (Tuesday) will feature Jim Urbina and Rees Jones.

Wednesday I'm looking forward to a lot, which will feature Gil Hanse and Tom Doak.

Thursday will be Nicklaus while Friday will be Bob Cupp and Tom Fazio.

All of these guys will have lots of interesting insight on the past, present and future of course design.

Its good stuff.
About time they put something worthwhile on that show. :D
And prediction...Nicklaus will complain about the golf ball.

Its good stuff.
About time they put something worthwhile on that show. :D
And prediction...Nicklaus will complain about the golf ball.

Agree. Hopefully we'll see more programming like this from MD moving forward. And no doubt about Nicklaus. He probably demanded an entire day to himself on the show so he could really go off on the ball issue.

I am not a regular viewer of the Morning Drive, but this has me interested. Thanks for posting this up

Where's Pete Dye???

I'll definitely tune in Wednesday for Hanse. The Blue Monster will reopen in two weeks and I'm curious to see the final product.

I'll definitely tune in Wednesday for Hanse. The Blue Monster will reopen in two weeks and I'm curious to see the final product.

I'm pretty interested to see the changes at Doral as well. I have yet to play there, but am a big Hanse fan and after getting a taste of the golf down in FL a few months ago, can easily see myself going down at least once a year and putting this on the list of places to play.

I have got to run home and start the DVR. I totally forgot this was happening this week. Maybe I'll just call in sick and stay home and watch it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Listening to Gil Hanse this morning, I really like his approach. He just talked about all of the changes his team made at the Blue Monster at Doral, all of them sound really good. It's also good that his team didn't even touch the 18th hole because it was good enough as is. They made #16 a drivable par 4, that should be fun to watch during the tournament there.

He's going to talk about the Olympic golf course in Rio in a few minutes, that should be interesting.

Listening to Gil Hanse this morning, I really like his approach. He just talked about all of the changes his team made at the Blue Monster at Doral, all of them sound really good. It's also good that his team didn't even touch the 18th hole because it was good enough as is. They made #16 a drivable par 4, that should be fun to watch during the tournament there.

He's going to talk about the Olympic golf course in Rio in a few minutes, that should be interesting.

We got these sneak peek videos of the new course and his changes look exceptional. I like Hanse.

Now the property itself, is off its rocker to want to charge the same thing as Pebble Beach. But that is not his fault.

We got these sneak peek videos of the new course and his changes look exceptional. I like Hanse.

Now the property itself, is off its rocker to want to charge the same thing as Pebble Beach. But that is not his fault.

That's just ludicrous to want to charge as much as Pebble, but like you said, that's on the company managing the property, not the course architect.

Hanse did the redesign of TPC Boston up here, and also designed Boston Golf Club which is a awesome private course that I'd love to play someday.

I missed it. I saw the driving range last weekend and it has doubled in size with lights.

I know a social member who has to pay $395 + forecaddie when it opens. It's absurd.

I've played a couple Hanse courses (Rustic Canyon and Inniscrone). They are certainly unique and beyond that, made me want to immediately play the course again. Just a good mixture of fun, challenge, creativity and natural scenery.

As for Doral, I know Trump has always had a thing with Pebble. He constantly measures Trump LA to Pebble and has said many times it is a better course, justifying the steep green fees there, so it doesn't surprise me he is trying to take a more storied course like Doral and ramp up the green fees.

I missed the Doak segments this a.m. and they haven't posted them online yet, so keep my fingers crossed to see them pop up at some point. From what I've seen though, Ginella is asking some great questions of the architects and the segments have been very interesting. I enjoyed the Rees Jones segment a lot more than I thought I would, as I thought he was pretty candid. His statement that he restored the painting at Pinehurst 2 while C&C restored the frame was unexpected and I suppose can be interpreted a lot of different ways, but I'm really enjoying giving these guys a platform to discuss course design in general.

Thats rediculous, not even close to being worth that kind of money. Wow.

I could be wrong but I always thought Doral was too steep in the first place. I agree it needed some changes as it was lacking a lot of memorability other than 4 holes or so. I just don't see how you could change the place that much to warrant Pebble like fees

KG

Just Tapping Away

That was a fun watch, thanks for posting. Things like this make me wish I still had cable.

Definitely. I really want to get up there and play it and now that Cabot Cliffs is opening, that area needs to get on my short list.

Taps away

I'm hoping to take the 6 hour drive this spring to play The Links finally. Hard to ignore something like that in your back yard.

I'm hoping to take the 6 hour drive this spring to play The Links finally. Hard to ignore something like that in your back yard.

I'm going to wait until Cabot Cliffs is open so that I can play both courses, but it would be silly for me not to make it up there at some point.

I'm going to wait until Cabot Cliffs is open so that I can play both courses, but it would be silly for me not to make it up there at some point.

Just let me know ary. I'm only 25 min from the airport here and it's in the same direction as Cabot.

That place looks awesome. This is all crazy interesting.

On a side note. What was that he did at the 6:33 mark? Looked like he purposely made a small divot to tee up on with his iron. Never seen that before.

And that shot from the beach was awesome. I'd almost hit it down there on purpose just to try that.

Back