John Daly Switches to Bridgestone

Sorry guys, it's just one train wreck I am tired of watching. I have rooted for the guy and wish him the best.

[/pc mode off]

No need to apologize. I got tired of guys like Steve Howe and Darryl Strawberry making continuous comebacks and being given chance after chance. For some reason JD hasnt reached that level with me yet.

JB - Do you know if JD tested other balls? I'm assuming he didn't go online and find out where the closest Bridgestone challenge was... :act-up:

I was told that while he was "down under" playing he tried quite a few out and the B330-S stood out for him.

How do you really feel CM? :confused2:

I am sure he was and it is great he found something that fits his game.

Sorry guys, it's just one train wreck I am tired of watching. I have rooted for the guy and wish him the best.

[/pc mode off]
no apologies needed ..wasn't disagreeing with your assessment just wondering how you kept you comments so subdued

His "redemption" comeback tour that he is on is a pretty big thing on tour this year. We will see if his game is up to it. A lot of folks are pulling for him.

But in a day when there are more cynics about equipment and why players play certain things, this guy made the choice on his own to play this ball because he thinks it will help him win.

As well he should...it's a great ball...

JD is a much liked player this side of the pond. If he thinks the Bridgestone will help his game and performance ,then good luck to him.:D

No need to apologize. I got tired of guys like Steve Howe and Darryl Strawberry making continuous comebacks and being given chance after chance. For some reason JD hasnt reached that level with me yet.

I feel the same way. There are plenty of players that I just lost interest in after they blew chance after chance but there is something about JD that makes me keep pulling for the guy.

While it would be a great story for him to win again or otherwise get and keep his act together, I keep waiting for the next meltdown.

He was on TV about a month ago playing in Australia...couldn't believe how much weight he lost...like to see him make one more run while he still has however much of "it" left...

While it would be a great story for him to win again or otherwise get and keep his act together, I keep waiting for the next meltdown.
I don't want it to happen.I'm pulling for him but I doubt if you'll have to wait long considering his history.Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to change but how many times do you have to hit the bottom to realize you're there.

And for this I will use Tiger as an example. Tiger did far less than JD and gets crucified. Im not a Tiger fan, nor do I root against him, but compare the bodies of work and crimes. No contest.

JB, I think it has a lot more to do with Tiger crafting such a spotless image and selling the heck out of it. IMHO it's the contrast between the actions of Tiger and the image he put forward is what gets the buzz, not the actions themselves.

Let's face it, if Rory Sabbatini or Steve Stricker had multiple affairs who would care? OTOH if Phil Mickelson had multiple affairs it would get a lot of buzz because of his image as a 'good guy' and the news stories about his support of his wife in her illness. It's not the actions, it's the contrast between the image and the actions

Since Daly's image has always been as a loveable f-up, we really don't get too outraged when he does something outrageous. There is no sense of falseness really when he does anything- he's not trying to fool anyone or be anything he's not.

Bringing back on topic- Bridgestone make great balls. Hope the 330-s plays well for him.

Reactions: JB
JB, I think it has a lot more to do with Tiger crafting such a spotless image and selling the heck out of it. IMHO it's the contrast between the actions of Tiger and the image he put forward is what gets the buzz, not the actions themselves.

Let's face it, if Rory Sabbatini or Steve Stricker had multiple affairs who would care? OTOH if Phil Mickelson had multiple affairs it would get a lot of buzz because of his image as a 'good guy' and the news stories about his support of his wife in her illness. It's not the actions, it's the contrast between the image and the actions

Since Daly's image has always been as a loveable f-up, we really don't get too outraged when he does something outrageous. There is no sense of falseness really when he does anything- he's not trying to fool anyone or be anything he's not.

Bringing back on topic- Bridgestone make great balls. Hope the 330-s plays well for him.

I agree 100%. Well said.

Gotta respect the guy for playing what works for him and not just what some company pays him to play. I do find it odd that so many people are in his corner when he has done nothing but destroy himself and his career. After a while it starts to wear thin on me when I see people with all the talent Id kill for and they waste it. But I have no issues with him making another comeback and being successful again. With what is going on with Tiger the PGA Tour needs a good story to latch onto.

I like when players go rogue and use what is best for them, sponsor or not. Maybe he'll be able to sway some Bridgestone sponsorship his way if things go well with it.

Gotta respect the guy for playing what works for him and not just what some company pays him to play. I do find it odd that so many people are in his corner when he has done nothing but destroy himself and his career. After a while it starts to wear thin on me when I see people with all the talent Id kill for and they waste it. But I have no issues with him making another comeback and being successful again. With what is going on with Tiger the PGA Tour needs a good story to latch onto.

Not everyone is puritanically judgemental, people love an underdog, Daly is an "everyman" with problems that he wears on his sleeve and is easier to relate to than a colder blue blood type, and he reaches out, embraces and lives among his fans...that and he's incredibly naturaly gifted makes a powerful package...

Id play a ball for nothing..the winnings could add up to more than ur sponsorship if it is better for his game

Not everyone is puritanically judgemental, people love an underdog

I actually think those are 2 very different things. I think most people are judgemental in one way or another, but at the same time can still root for an underdog.

That is the fundemental difference in JD and Tiger...He is far from an underdog.

Id play a ball for nothing..the winnings could add up to more than ur sponsorship if it is better for his game
hey the way I play free balls would add up to a pretty substantial sponsorship
but back to JD I hope the switch works out for him.Hope he's on the right track cause I like the guy despite everything.At least he's real and not some made up image.

Another thing I wanted to point out, he didnt "lose" all that weight as in get in shape and eat better. He had an operation. While I see that some people have to do what they have to do, I still see it as an easy way out and a bandaid on a bigger problem. Thats not to say he couldnt have changed his ways and started working out after the fact, I dunno.

Another thing I wanted to point out, he didnt "lose" all that weight as in get in shape and eat better. He had an operation. While I see that some people have to do what they have to do, I still see it as an easy way out and a bandaid on a bigger problem. Thats not to say he couldnt have changed his ways and started working out after the fact, I dunno.
sometimes people need a bandaid.I know someone who went this route after years of disappointment trying diets and excercise.If you don't have the problem you can't really see the big picture.

I actually think those are 2 very different things. I think most people are judgemental in one way or another, but at the same time can still root for an underdog.

That is the fundemental difference in JD and Tiger...He is far from an underdog.

I should have labeled it a, b, and c or bullet pointed it...each of those things was intended to be separate...

I typed out another rant but figured I'd just say this.... It is fitting he is wearing clown clothes nowadays.

I typed out another rant but figured I'd just say this.... It is fitting he is wearing clown clothes nowadays.

LMAO, I hope for Bridgestones sake they NEVER pay this asshat a red cent as at some point he'll wake up in the county lockup again (which wasn't his fault, just a misunderstanding with his *friends*) and embarrass them.

I think people pull for John because they never got the feeling he was sneaking around. He's kind of always been an explosion of bad taste and non-golfer like behavior. I like him. I remember Nicklaus in the booth when he was winning the The Open at St. Andrews and he was bombing away with his driver. He almost had a heart attack. That's why people like him. Plus when you see him in an interview, he seems like such a nice guy. It could be phony, I guess, but it doesn't seem like he has that sneakiness about him.

Go Big John, I say.

Kevin

Little off topic JB, but because of his return does he have any sponsors besides Loudmouth?

Back