Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Andre Dawson finally makes it into the hall. Blyleven and Alomar just barely missed it, they should get it next year. I thought Alomar would make it in first time and Larkin would of been borderline.

I'm kinda mixed on Dawson's election....yeah some of the #'s are there for him but is he really a "Hall of Famer?' I think the Hall's standards have been slipping over the last 10 yrs or so...and please do away with the veterans group. that's such a sham. If you couldn't make it in during the regular ballot process, why be able to get in via a popularity contest??? Phil Rizzuto? :confused2:

I thought Cameron was going to center field because Jacoby Ellsbury was moved to LF :confused2:

1 year..!!! Is that all?!?! So the BoSox will be going through this again next year...why do they only get people for 1 year? :confused2:

Good call GC, I flubbed that one. Forgot Ellsbury is moving to LF now.

I'm kinda mixed on Dawson's election....yeah some of the #'s are there for him but is he really a "Hall of Famer?'

Im kind of with you on this, Dawsons numbers are borderline. If Ryan Sandberg is in the Alomar should of made it in, he is one of the better second baseman of all time and their numbers are pretty similar.

Good call GC, I flubbed that one. Forgot Ellsbury is moving to LF now.

Where is Cameron from, what team? Is he any good or well-known, I haven't heard of him until now!!

If Ryan Sandberg is in the Alomar should of made it in, he is one of the better second baseman of all time and their numbers are pretty similar.

I get the feeling that some voters don't vote for players for reasons beyond just the statistics. In Alomar's case I could see some voters simply not wanting to vote for him on the first ballot because of some of his behavior and antics, for example spitting in the umpire's face. I'm sure he will get in easily next year, as he truly is one of the best second baseman of all time. It almost seems to be a first ballot HOFer nowadays, you have to have the stats, as well as the good for the game image, i.e. Ripken and Gwynn.

Where is Cameron from, what team? Is he any good or well-known, I haven't heard of him until now!!
Mariners, Mets, Brewers, Padres, White Sox and I think he was on the Reds the year with the playoff. He is best known for his collision with Beltran. He is a very good Centerfielder.
I get the feeling that some voters don't vote for players for reasons beyond just the statistics. In Alomar's case I could see some voters simply not wanting to vote for him on the first ballot because of some of his behavior and antics, for example spitting in the umpire's face. I'm sure he will get in easily next year, as he truly is one of the best second baseman of all time. It almost seems to be a first ballot HOFer nowadays, you have to have the stats, as well as the good for the game image, i.e. Ripken and Gwynn.
I think the spitting was the main reason and I agree with you on the first ballot deal. I think guys like Kent, Johnson and Maddux are first ballots. The intriguing one will be Bonds.

Mariners, Mets, Brewers, Padres, White Sox and I think he was on the Reds the year with the playoff. He is best known for his collision with Beltran. He is a very good Centerfielder.

I think the spitting was the main reason and I agree with you on the first ballot deal. I think guys like Kent, Johnson and Maddux are first ballots. The intriguing one will be Bonds.

I suspect the way Baroid treated the media, he will be lucky to get 45% of the vote. Bonds would almost certainly have been HOF had he stayed clean, his early numbers were excellent.

In Alomar's case I could see some voters simply not wanting to vote for him on the first ballot because of some of his behavior and antics, for example spitting in the umpire's face. .

I really hate this first ballot, second ballot bs....if you're a hall of famer you deserve to get in right away or a the very least the second try. Having 15 yrs to get in is a joke

Looks like Brett Meyers has signed with the Astros.

I really hate this first ballot, second ballot bs....if you're a hall of famer you deserve to get in right away or a the very least the second try. Having 15 yrs to get in is a joke

I agree. With baseball you have to blame the old time players somewhat for the difficulty - they wanted to make it very hard for anyone to get in.

How about the media guys that vote no on every single 1st ballot because they feel there should not be a unanimous 1st timer. Its a sham and when you leave anything like this honor up to people that have an axe to grind, this is what you get.

Looks like the Reds are the winners of the Ardoils chapman sweepstakes. 5 years 30 million. They dont think he will see the big leagues until 2011.

Not that anyone is surprised. Big Mac admits steriod use.

Mcgwire admits steriod use during 70HR year

Well that sucks, why would you admit that now? Did these guys learn nothing from Pete Rose, just because you admit it doesn't mean they are going to let you into the hall of fame. Stand strong Barry Bonds, they can't prove anything.

I think Barry would get into the HOF no matter if he admitted it or not due to his performance before he got big. The steroids just helped him play a little longer just like Clemens. I don't think Clemens will get in.

Well that sucks, why would you admit that now? Did these guys learn nothing from Pete Rose, just because you admit it doesn't mean they are going to let you into the hall of fame. Stand strong Barry Bonds, they can't prove anything.

The only thing I can think of is so when he shows up for his press conference he doesn't have to skirt the issue for 30 minutes.

It's only time until Barry goes down. When he falls that probably will break California from the rest of the US.

I think Barry would get into the HOF no matter if he admitted it or not due to his performance before he got big. The steroids just helped him play a little longer just like Clemens. I don't think Clemens will get in.

So why would Bonds get in and not Clemens. They were both amazing before usage and arguably Clemens was even better than Bonds before use. His mid 80s years were some of the best ever.

In my opinion it is both or neither. Not one or the other.

Looks like the Reds are the winners of the Ardoils chapman sweepstakes. 5 years 30 million. They dont think he will see the big leagues until 2011.

Good to see a small market team land him vs. the Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Angels

So why would Bonds get in and not Clemens. They were both amazing before usage and arguably Clemens was even better than Bonds before use. His mid 80s years were some of the best ever.

In my opinion it is both or neither. Not one or the other.

I think with Clemens anything after 1996 is suspect, which would put him way below 300 wins which is an automatic entry into the HOF imo. For Bonds his entry into the HOF will be for his play in the outfield and only slightly on his bat. 8 time gold glove winner all before the HR years and 14 time all star and 7 time MVP split between the HR year. But we will see in about 3-5 years when the ballots start coming in and their percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back