The Official 2009 NFL Thread

We dont get to see the inner workings of these contracts, who is to say there are not stipulations throughout? Believe it or not, I had a VERY good friend play in the NFL and was very surprised to hear his stories.

I did get to see the inner workings of a lot of contracts because I worked for the NFL for almost 5 years. They are unionized and your statement is false. Players salaries do not get cut for performance. They either get fired or they play out their contract.

JB I believe you are incorrect on this issue... many of the contracts in the NFL in particular are not guaranteed. So yes a player can lose his money very quickly.

I did not say they were. In fact I said they were not. They can get fired anytime. But teams DO NOT drop pay in a contract.

I did say a mouthful and I do agree with what you are saying, But I had a very good buddy that played in the NFL and it is very cut throat. My only argument there is that if they DO NOT perform, then their salary can be dropped at anytime. It happens ALL the time, we just dont hear about it. So, that being said, if they can drop my salary anytime due to performance, then when I perform well, I WANT A RAISE(that is their mindset)

To your point Shanks I posted on either this forum or another my thught about how professional athletes should get paid... Smmarizing it basically a base salary per year and then incentives based on performace. ( i.e. 10 HRs get another 200K, and so on and so on) I have no problem paying those that do very well... but those that get the fat contract and sit and moan... no way!!

I did get to see the inner workings of a lot of contracts because I worked for the NFL for almost 5 years. They are unionized and your statement is false. Players salaries do not get cut for performance. They either get fired or they play out their contract.

OK OK, just going by what a friend said!

hahahahaha, if I am top in hot dog sales then we may have to talk about it :blob:

Who says you get to start out selling hot dogs? :laughing:

To your point Shanks I posted on either this forum or another my thught about how professional athletes should get paid... Smmarizing it basically a base salary per year and then incentives based on performace. ( i.e. 10 HRs get another 200K, and so on and so on) I have no problem paying those that do very well... but those that get the fat contract and sit and moan... no way!!

right, I understand that. I just dont think that 1.4 is that much money compared to what some players get. and that is prob what Cribbs is thinking. Listen, I WROTE OFF Jamarcus Russell and Michael Crabtree for holding out. I think it is a benefit to get drafted, to ask for these outragous contracts before you show your skills is ridiculous. I can not believe Crabtree did it after Russells performance was the way it was. Most over paid player in the NFL, and he is in horrible shape.

Now you have some explaining to do....What did you do and for what team??

what were you doing? were you involved with a particular organization? did you play a role in the contract arena?

I did not say they were. In fact I said they were not. They can get fired anytime. But teams DO NOT drop pay in a contract.

I believe I misreadeither your post or the one you were quoting.. I was referring to the contract as a whole can be dropped due to non guaranteed contracts.

What did you do with the NFL JB?

Who says you get to start out selling hot dogs? :laughing:

i can tell you from experience that he can sell a mean hot dog and lots of em?

I believe I misreadeither your post or the one you were quoting.. I was referring to the contract as a whole can be dropped due to non guaranteed contracts.

What did you do with the NFL JB?

yes, a contract can be dropped at any time. Just like in every day life for an employee that is not performing.

Yes I did work with contracts. I did work for an agent. I also worked in mergers and acquisitions for the NFL as well as their charity division.

I do not give out any other information other than that guys. Sorry.

Yes I did work with contracts. I did work for an agent. I also worked in mergers and acquisitions for the NFL as well as their charity division.

Cool stuff. Wish i could learn more but oh well.

yes, a contract can be dropped at any time. Just like in every day life for an employee that is not performing.

Very interesting! Well, maybe I misinterpreted what my friend was saying then, I guess it brings us back to the fact that other than football these guys do not want to do anything else. They will beat up their bodies for years and the more they can make the bette roff their family could be, for generations if they do it right.

Hey, does anyone think Jake Delhome is worth 10 million.....hahaha, what a joke

No prob.. did not realize it was priority info... lol

Hey, does anyone think Jake Delhome is worth 10 million.....hahaha, what a joke

Ironically going into last year his career stats were very very close to that of Donovan McNabb. People often forget that they have lacked a lot more than just him over the years.

Its not really, but I like to keep my resume a little personal.

that's cool. shanks use to sell hot dogs.:D

Ironically going into last year his career stats were very very close to that of Donovan McNabb. People often forget that they have lacked a lot more than just him over the years.

JB's right. old jake certainly had some great moments for the panthers but he simply got rattled by the cards last year and i don't think he ever fully recovered. maybe he'll get it back, at least i hope, cause we're stuck with him.

i can tell you from experience that he can sell a mean hot dog and lots of em?

But can he cook them and put them on a bun? I'm not looking for one hit wonders here. :laughing:

Guys the banter is great, but lets get back to talking about the NFL in this thread. The hot dog stuff is better suited for banter away thread or whats for dinner thread.

Guys the banter is great, but lets get back to talking about the NFL in this thread. The hot dog stuff is better suited for banter away thread or whats for dinner thread.

yep, sorry, back to old Delhomme.

Sorry.

Anyone heard any news on Mangini? ESPN heads are saying it's not going to work out for him though. Any thoughts on who might be the new guy? I heard John Fox is the leading candidate if Mangini does get fired.

8 TD's, 18 Int's and 2015 yards.

8 TD's, 18 Int's and 2015 yards.

Awesome numbers! how did we not make the playoffs this year?

bogey-cleveland could have Fox and we'll take mangini, that would be fine with me, only as long as jeff davidson goes with fox. he might be the worst off. cord. in the league. way to predictable.

Back