Do You Over Think Shafts?

Shaft flex in my driver and woods, I kept the same shaft for my driver and 3 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think FAR TOO MANY golfers on this site over think not just shafts but the whole game in general. My wood shafts are all S flex yet I swing at 115+mph which should put me in X flex easily. My irons are S flex and I swing them at over 92mph and should be playing a soft stepped X flex. I like the shafts I have and how they feel, sod what the LM's say etc. I've played long enough and well enough to know what works for me and what doesn't. Too many people try and have the same FCM, CPM or whatever else across clubs, damn, just get out there and hit the ball.

I will say that I probably think about them way to much from the driver to the putter (yes I had a matrix pz-125 putter shaft). But I am a to tinkerer and golf is my one hobby so golf clubs is where it's at. I thought I found the perfect shaft for me (fubuki) I loved everything about the shaft. Then my game went from being a low hitter (12-15* launch) to a high ball hitter (18-21* launch so naturally the shaft had to change.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I'd like to think I don't under-think the shafts I use, but I probably do. For my driver it was as simple as hearing that aftermarket shafts had done really well with this head, and having my old driver collecting dust, so I figured it was worth a shot. Worked out really well for me. I'm not sure about fitting for fairway woods and hybrids, as I've never really done it.

As far as irons go, I always kind of prioritized a really consistent swing, followed by loft & lie adjustments, then which shaft to use would be last. So it's not so much I'm thinking too much or too little about which shaft to use in my irons, but that I don't think I'm at the point where I need to think about them at all.

A spent a lot of time speaking with an authority on golf clubs over the past two weeks as I prepare for a few things and we got speaking about amateurs, shafts and what goes into their thought process.

Do you believe you are over thinking shaft choices?
Do you believe you are thinking enough about shaft choices?

And assuming it is not a direct result of fitting, what makes you put a different shaft in play?

During our talks we spoke about ball flight and different shafts and how they impact the amateur golfer. Then we spoke more about the direct relation to the driver head, the golf ball and even the grip in terms of performance.

It's difficult as an amateur to know what's right. One shaft often feels the same as another. One fitter will tell you that X is the perfect shaft for you and you should never ever use Y. The fitter at the store next door will tell you exactly the opposite.

Some guy on the golf course will wax poetic about how he tried brand Y, but when he tried brand X a bright beam of light came down, the angels sung and he could just feel this was the perfect shaft for him. Meanwhile, you're thinking, "Uh, I hit ball, I chase ball. That's all I know."

But the best thing I've learned to do is to find a fitter who I believe is working hard to try to find me the right solution and trust what he recommends.

But the best thing I've learned to do is to find a fitter who I believe is working hard to try to find me the right solution and trust what he recommends.

No truer words spoken there.

I believe I under thought shafts until this year. I don't think my game was good enough for shafts to matter enough. I took some lessons and objective was to shoot sub 80 this year. I did that so I figured it was time to narrow down any last things that could improve my game from an equipment perspective. I am a big strong guy with a college football history. I went and had TM MAT-T system fitting done. Not only do I need heavier shafts in my irons due to tempo and really high ball flight, but one thing that was recommened struck me was a step in shaft weight from irons, to hybrids, to fairway, to driver. By the time I hit the course in spring I will have 1) upgraded to TP Fujikura Fuel 70g shaft in my R1, already had upgraded my Stage 2 Tour 3 wood to the TP rul 80g shaft, upgrade to TP shafts in my Rescue 11s (85g vs stock stiff 65g)or buy new SLDRs with the 82g shaft and will have new Speedblades with DG Superlite S300 106g shafts in them. I now feel confident that I have the right weight shafts for my game and really look forward to gaming these clubs in 2014.

Back