The tequila that turned me on to loving tequila was Pura Sangre Blanco. Hard to find, but I believe several websites have it. Patron is nothing next to this stuff, and for around $40-50 a bottle, not much difference in price. Dont, please dont put it in margaritas though!

While I'm at it, best margarita ever: 1 shot lime juice, 1 shot lemon juice, 2 shots simple syrup (1/2 water, 1/2 sugar), 1 shot Grand Marnier, 2 shots of 100% agave tequila. Simple, but use quality ingredients. ENJOY! :banana:

Cuervo or MezCal.

I always tried to stay away from more than one or two shots.

The tequila that turned me on to loving tequila was Pura Sangre Blanco. Hard to find, but I believe several websites have it. Patron is nothing next to this stuff, and for around $40-50 a bottle, not much difference in price. Dont, please dont put it in margaritas though!

While I'm at it, best margarita ever: 1 shot lime juice, 1 shot lemon juice, 2 shots simple syrup (1/2 water, 1/2 sugar), 1 shot Grand Marnier, 2 shots of 100% agave tequila. Simple, but use quality ingredients. ENJOY! :banana:

A splash of orange juice is always good too.

A splash of orange juice is always good too.

The Grand Marnier is an orange distilled cognac, essentially doing the same thing, plus adding a bit of sweetness.

The Grand Marnier is an orange distilled cognac, essentially doing the same thing, plus adding a bit of sweetness.

I know, but a small splash of OJ still adds to the margarita. A lot of my friends were bar tenders or actually owned bars when I was in college, they always said the trick to a great margarita is to add that extra splash of OJ.

I know, but a small splash of OJ still adds to the margarita. A lot of my friends were bar tenders or actually owned bars when I was in college, they always said the trick to a great margarita is to add that extra splash of OJ.

The Old Town Mexican Cafe in San Diego serves a wicked margarita that has a splash of OJ. Fantastic. I have a story about guzzling those one long afternoon. WOW. Parts of it are not suitable for a family friendly website and I'm not sure of CA's statute of limitations. The one thing about a tequila bender, you wake up the next day feeling like you've been left in the desert for a couple days without water. In your underpants.

I have a lot of tequila stories. I bet I haven't had a shot of tequila in 8 or 10 years. Good stuff, though. That initial buzz can't be beat. Muy bueno.

Kevin

Giving someone advice on liquor is the same as golf. You ask 30 people, you could get 30 different answers. It all boils down to personal preference and taste. My question to you would be how much do you want to spend? A $20 tequila may not be great compared to a $50 bottle, but it is good for the $20 price. Some may feel the $50 bottle isn't worth $50.

My quick recommendations would be from lowest price ($25 or so) to higher ($45+):

Sauza Hornitos
Milagro
Sauza Tres Generaciones
Don Julio

Each of these will have a Silver - Reposado - Anejo option and should be available at the store. There are several other good tequilas out there, but sometimes it boils down to availability in a certain area. A popular tequila sold in Ohio or Oregon, might not be available in Missouri or Kansas for instance.

Some people don't really like Silver tequila, others don't like Anejo. Again much of it is personal preference. There are even a couple of high end Cuervo tequilas that are excellent, but one is about $75 the other is $100+. Some people don't mind paying that much, but others don't feet it is worth the money.

There are tons of great tequila options out there. Best thing is to try a few and see which ones you like best. Plus, that is part of the fun!
well I've tried all that you've mentioned here.And I know you can find some in the $100+ range. But the trying a few seems like the best advice as that is what I have done.I guess like you say it's all personal but so are cigars,wine,scotches and no one seems put off about talking about them.

The Old Town Mexican Cafe in San Diego serves a wicked margarita that has a splash of OJ.

Kevin

Is that the name of the place or was it just in Old Town? One of my favorite Mexican spots was Casa De Pico in Old town.

Kind of like wedges, tequila is very personal. Patron for me because you can actually sip and taste everything in it. Centenario Reposado if you mix with beer, not as much resonance to interfere. All will make me do stupid things if in excess, (more than two, lol), cognac if I'm in a slow sip mood with the group and scothch playing pool.

If you like a great shot, just for the fun of a shot, try sanbuca. Good luck after 5 or 6 keeping upright, lol.

Kind of like wedges, tequila is very personal. Patron for me because you can actually sip and taste everything in it. Centenario Reposado if you mix with beer, not as much resonance to interfere. All will make me do stupid things if in excess, (more than two, lol), cognac if I'm in a slow sip mood with the group and scothch playing pool.

If you like a great shot, just for the fun of a shot, try sanbuca. Good luck after 5 or 6 keeping upright, lol.
It's all good.....in moderation

It's all good.....in moderation

Your telling me that with your tongue out? :D

I just got the call to go sub for a pool team. Standard calls for plenty of shots to the sudden fill in shooter, lol. Someone call me a cab!

Your telling me that with your tongue out? :D

I just got the call to go sub for a pool team. Standard calls for plenty of shots to the sudden fill in shooter, lol. Someone call me a cab!
LOL good luck

Is that the name of the place or was it just in Old Town? One of my favorite Mexican spots was Casa De Pico in Old town.

That's the name, I believe. They have rotisserie chicken and Mexican ladies making tortillas in the front window. The shredded carnitas and the chicken were great the first time I was there. Not as good a few times after, but the drinks were superb.

Kevin

I'm drinking Cielo Anejo lately and really enjoying it.

I have a great Tequila story.

Or so my friends tell me.

mescal is even better for those

That's the name, I believe. They have rotisserie chicken and Mexican ladies making tortillas in the front window.

Kevin

I guess its a different one but the tortilla lady is a universal language.

I learned a very valuable lesson one night from tequila....the window up button in the car is NOT the unlock button...push with caution.

mescal is even better for those

Technically, I think mine was mescal.

I remember eating the worm, and making out with this chick . . .

. . . then not so much.

Back