Santa brought me a Garmin Approach S1 GPS watch - tried it out today

There are some folks who just aren't into watches commenting here... but I can't help but wonder if you couldn't loop the band through a belt loop or shove it in your pocket. Wouldn't be quite as convenient but it'd still be there and be pretty easy to use. Just a thought. I wear a watch constantly so it's no adjustment for me.

And I forgot the best feature of the S1: when I look at the distance and it's 178 yards and then I hit a miserably bad shot and the next time I look the distance is ... oh say ... 174 yards the watch does not mock me. That's better than I can say for my playing partners! HA!

Got a $100 GC to Dicks and was thinking of picking this one up. One thing I think I would miss is layup yardages so was also looking at the S2. Just trying to figure out if the extra $100 is worth it. Was also thinking of waiting until next spring to see if the price on the S2 comes down any. Had the Callaway Upro and am always just asking my golf buddies that have the watch GPS the distances because it was quicker. Don't wear a watch but don't really think it would bother me.

I'm still using the Golfshot iphone app http://golfshot.com/

Hard to make myself buy a physical device when the app works so well.
I'm happy with golfshot for entering scores/firs/girs. Sometimes use the yardage feature gps but signal is weak at my homecourse. Takes a while and results vary. Using it with an iphone 5. I'm afraid other gps devices might also have the same problem.

nice write up on this. I've been tempted to try something like this, but just wonder how much I'd actually use it. Sounds like a solid offering though.

just wonder how much I'd actually use it

I was dubious but it's every shot not on the green, it's now a habit.

Been checking out the features of the S4, seems it does golfshot like recording so some research required, if decent interface to input/review, might tempt me to upgrade.

I have tried phone apps. Not the same technology. Cell apps triangulate off cell towers (quite accurate but depend on cell signal). GPS works off a satellite network specific to GPS. Works most everywhere except indoors.

Pecked out slowly on my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on using my GPS skycaddie watch in Dallas for the first time I am ready to get it out on the course.

I have tried phone apps. Not the same technology. Cell apps triangulate off cell towers (quite accurate but depend on cell signal). GPS works off a satellite network specific to GPS. Works most everywhere except indoors.

A loy of phone apps use gps if the hardware is available on the handset.

I was able to use my Bushnell Neo-X for two full rounds and love it. Like everyone else has said, after a few swings I was use to it and don't feel like it bothered me at all. It was extremely nice to have the distances up to date at all times and really seemed to help me. I've been using the golflogix app on my iphone and the watch is much easier and faster. I will still use golf logix to keep track of my scores and other stats. It was also nice to have the hazard distances, but there were lacking somewhat on both courses. Though I've read that if you send igolf or bushnell an email with requests for hazards to be included they typically will add them within a few days. One of the guys golfing with me had a nice laser range finder and our distances were always very close and any differences were consistent with the flag placement vs the center of the green provided by the watch.

Have had an S1 for 18 months and love it ! Only downfall is battery life is not great but I can still squeeze 36 holes out of it most times.

Have had an S1 for 18 months and love it ! Only downfall is battery life is not great but I can still squeeze 36 holes out of it most times.

I agree. The only issue I have had is shorter battery life. I can only get one round from a charge. I play 3-4 times per week so wish it was more. Otherwise, it has been accurate, easy to use and comfortable to wear.

Back