Top 5 Iron Sets of 2013

1)TM speed blade. 2)Mizuno mp-4. That's all I have seen this year that caught y eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) TM Speedblades (not speedbladez) - I wanted to try the Rocketbladez on for size, but I just simply cannot bring myself to even entertain the notion of buying something that uses a "z" instead of an "s" to pluralize a word. I hate that sooo much. That said, the Speedblades have made me believe that I really can hit irons well. I have had some of the best iron shots of my short golfing career with these clubs. The feel when you hit it pure is so incredibly rewarding. the forgiveness when you don't is also a big part of the appeal.

2) Callaway Apex - Is this a 2013 set? I know I hit them in 2013. A very good-looking set of irons that also felt great and performed well for me on a LM. The feel is more in line with what I would consider traditional (in a good way), perhaps not as forgiving as they should be for their category.

3) Cobra Amp Cell - not personally a fan of the looks, but they are great performers. I hit them many times in stores before going a different direction.

4) Cleveland Altitude - I never got a chance to put these into play, but I still might. Everything I hear about them is awesome and the few swings I've had were very impressive.

5) Too many others to list. 2013 was a great year for golf equipment!

I only tried two different sets of irons in 2013, Speedblades and ACP's.

1 - Number one would go to the Speedblades, with the kbs tours shafts they felt great, launched high and most of all straight. Still tossing up getting these.

2 - Number two the ACP irons, they looked gorgeous and felt nice on centre hits, but a little unforgiving on off centre hits, well they were for me.

Great Thread.

However, would I be right in thinking that the lists are relative to the handicap of the player, as a lot of the posts are from lower handicap players?
Are the lists comparative to the higher H'caps?

The reason why I ask, is that I'm currently looking at changing my Ping XG10 irons and edging towards the X Hot(2) at the moment. I've hit the X Hot, but as the new XHot2 are coming on the market, I was going to go with them. But there seems to be, in general, a lot of love for the Cobra Amp cell, Callaway X Forged, TaylorMade SpeedBlade, Ping S55 & Cleveland Altitude (in no particular order) and the XHot don’t get much of a mention.

So, should I be rethinking the my selection?

Great Thread.

However, would I be right in thinking that the lists are relative to the handicap of the player, as a lot of the posts are from lower handicap players?
Are the lists comparative to the higher H'caps?

The reason why I ask, is that I'm currently looking at changing my Ping XG10 irons and edging towards the X Hot(2) at the moment. I've hit the X Hot, but as the new XHot2 are coming on the market, I was going to go with them. But there seems to be, in general, a lot of love for the Cobra Amp cell, Callaway X Forged, TaylorMade SpeedBlade, Ping S55 & Cleveland Altitude (in no particular order) and the XHot don’t get much of a mention.

So, should I be rethinking the my selection?

I don't think for the most part, the lists are lower handicap clubs. In fact, considering that the majority of people actually picked the same GI and SGI clubs like the G25s, Altitudes, and Amp Cells just show how much the people have begun to enjoy the forgiveness offered by playing this type of club.

1. Cobra AMP Cell - The best set of irons I have ever hit to date, it's just so easy, aim, swing, boom!
2. Cobra AMP Cell Pro - One of the best looking iron sets not only in 2013, but in recent memory, and they can flat out perform.
3. Cleveland Altitude - So easy to hit and can be gamed by a numerous set of golfers, regardless of skill level.
4. Taylormade Speedblades - Such a progressive set, allows for what seems like a mixed set, but stock. Speed pocket is no gimmick.
5. Callaway X Hot Pro - Not just for low handicappers, great forgiveness without sacrificing distance.

This was a hard choice, as there were a LOT of great irons, and I was trying not to be a homer.

1. Callaway XHot Pro - I have been looking for a while for new irons, hit a LOT of irons, and these are in my bag, so hard to not put at #1 on my list.
2. TaylorMade Speedblade - I'm a Callaway guy, but these worked for me when I hit them, and that's saying something as I had never felt like TM had a iron I liked.
3. Callaway X Forged - As much as I wanted to put these in my bag, without a bunch of practice I couldn't justify pulling the trigger this time around. Maybe with the Apex this year I will.
4. Titleist 714 AP2 - I've always had a thing for Titleist irons, and the AP2 was no difference. Always a strong and effective performer in the blind test for my hands.
5. Cleveland Altitude - They may not LOOK beautiful, but you also can't deny their performance. Ultimately, I just couldn't get over what I was looking at when I addressed the ball, and that's probably vain in some ways, but it's the truth.

1. Ping G25
2. Callaway X Forged
3. Callaway X Hot
4. Cleveland 588 MT/TT
5. Callaway X Hot Pro

I love this thread!! I hit and owned so many different sets of irons this year. I might have even given JB a run for his money!

1) Apex - Two reasons for this. A) It is an amazing looking, feeling and performing iron. Didn't like the stock shaft offering, but once I changed it I'm in love...for now. B) It's the last iron I hit. These irons are almost a dream come true. The look and feel a bit like the AP2, but have all the forgiveness of the AP1. Can't wait to

2) MP 64 - I still love these irons. My game wasn't quite ready for them when I got them. I went back and hit them a few weeks ago and I almost had a tear in my eye that I got rid of them. Now that I have my swing in order, the distance was solid and the feel.....ohhhhhhhh the feel. I've been half tempted to ditch the Apex and go back to these.

3) Rocketbladez Tour - I don't care how you spend it, TMaG did a good job with these. Great feel for a cast club. Distance was what I expected and workability was really showing. I had these paired up with C-Taper lites and enjoyed my time with them.

4) X-Forged - This was the 3rd set I owned last last year and my 3rd favorite forged set. I was a huge fan of the looks and how great these irons performed

5) X-Hot Pro - This was the second set I owned last year. This was a very strong set for me. I think a different shaft might have made me stick with them longer. I was not a fan of the PX 95. Also, they were a little harsh on mishits too. But, they are a players iron and that is expected.

Back