Steaks! How do you do them?

I like it simple with my steak - ground pepper, maybe some garlic but that is it. I am also really picky about charcoal and wood that I use when I grill.

Pepper on the grill, salt when it comes off the grill, medium rare.

Slightly off topic, but I ordered a pork chop at a restaurant in Maui, and they asked me how I wanted it cooked. I don't know if that's a Hawaii thing or what, but I wasn't messing around with undercooked pork, I went with well done.
The United States hasn't had a case of trichinosis in domestic pork in over a decade, so it's safe to eat your pork with a bit of pink in the center. Now, if it comes to wild game (or outside the USA) you better cook the heck out of it.

The United States hasn't had a case of trichinosis in domestic pork in over a decade, so it's safe to eat your pork with a bit of pink in the center. Now, if it comes to wild game (or outside the USA) you better cook the heck out of it.

It just surprised me, I've order pork chops in a lot of restaurants and not once was I asked how I wanted it cooked.

My lady likes her steak more rare than I do. What a woman.

My steak recipe...

Fresh ground pink salt
Black pepper
Lowery's
Garlic powder
Smoked paprika
Worchestershire
Brown sauce.

Let sit for 30 min before grilling

Sent from my ADR6300

Salt, pepper, little garlic and Lowery's. Wipe it's butt, throw it on the grill for about 5 minutes, flip it, leave it almost mooing.

I'm a rare steak kinda guy.

Bloody rare 45 seconds on each side.

Waiter asks if I need steak sauce or band-aids.

When I cook them fresh garlic, cavenders spice, olive oil and have the grill at 450*+.

Jackal

Marinade in Allegro, sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder and off to the grill, about 4 minutes per side.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Correct. I actually cook mine to just the other side of pink. I barely get to the meat to the white color. I believe that the USDA lowered the internal cooking temp to 165 from 175 for pork.

For me, I keep steaks very simple, fresh ground sale & pepper and then grill on both sides to get some great marks, serve it to a medium and make sure you set it rest before cutting!

I take a seasoning trick I learned from Marco Pierre White - Knorr stock cubes or OXO beef stock with olive oil and mustard powder to make a paste which I apply liberally to all sides of the steak, then some garlic powder and some black pepper. Grill on high heat as quickly as possible, though for thicker cuts I am starting to believe in a cooler, slower initial cook and then finish them off on high heat.

Seriouseats ran a great article a little whiel back on debunking all the steak cooking myths and how their food lab came up with the ultimate way to cook a steak and it's definitely worth a read if you have time.

One way I want to try is sous-vide cooking in a cooler since I don't have the expensive immersion equipment. Basically immerse the meat (in a zip lock bag) in water that is a bit hotter than your intended temperature and let it sit till it reaches your desired temperature (we're not boiling here) and then remove it from the bag and drop it in a screaming hot cast iron pan or grill to finish off for colour. This is supposed to yield the ultimate results.

My wife likes her steak like a leather belt. Uggh!

Well-done, really?

My wife wasn't that bad, but she was the medium-well, well done side of things until I once talked her into eatting her's medium-rare to try it (Mine always are) and she hasn't looked back since. She now gets on me when I cook ours even to medium.

Luckily we get our steaks on the cheap from work, and they actually are pretty good cuts. Let sit out to room temp, little pepper, salt, lowerys, on one side, and cook in canola oil. Although might just just straight butter next time. But after the cook, they get a bit of butter set on top of them, and set in the microwave for 4-5 mins before eatting/cutting.

Boy I'm glad we're having steaks tonight!

My boss in Vegas once ordered an 8oz Kobe beef steak medium well. He was surprised at how bland it tasted. I told him the chef probably cried while cooking it

Steaks! How do you do them?

Salt, Pepper, and Cooked Medium Rare. All that other stuff ruins good steak.

Doesn't get better this this. I am simple and like to let the flavor of the steak do the talking.

Salt, pepper, a bit of garlic powder. On the grill 5 minutes each side. Good to go. If in the frying pan, cook in a lot of butter.

I am a medium guy, so I like a little pink and some blood. Then I put some Country Bobs Sauce on it. Love that stuff. http://countrybobs.com/

It just surprised me, I've order pork chops in a lot of restaurants and not once was I asked how I wanted it cooked.

Yeah, threw me for a loop first time I ordered them and they came out pink. This was about three years back. Now it seems to be the default serving in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a medium guy, so I like a little pink and some blood. Then I put some Country Bobs Sauce on it. Love that stuff. http://countrybobs.com/

Country Bob's, the pride of Centralia! Although I would never put Country Bob's or any other steak sauce on a steak.

I keep it simple. Salt, pepper, maybe a bit of garlic rubbed on both sides, cooked on high heat for 5-6 mins a side (medium rare).

Oh yeah Country Bob's is the shiznit. And yep I seen it was from down there. You don't happen to know Country Bob Edson do ya?
Country Bob's, the pride of Centralia! Although I would never put Country Bob's or any other steak sauce on a steak.

My thoughts exactly. If you need steak sauce, someone didn't cook the steak correctly.

Oh yeah Country Bob's is the shiznit. And yep I seen it was from down there. You don't happen to know Country Bob Edson do ya?

I don't believe he's with us anymore, I know Terry Edson is running the show now. I don't know any of them, but their family goes to the same church as my wife, so she does.

Seasoned salt, pepper, & garlic pepper for about an hour. Broiled 7 minutes on one side, 6 minutes on the second side, then drop blue cheese crumbles on it for the last minute.
9F567808-FFB8-4A1C-8201-CF53F19274AE_zpsg4f3gphw.jpg

My thoughts exactly. If you need steak sauce, someone didn't cook the steak correctly.

Concur

I was in Del Frisco's this week and our waiter was complaining because a customer at another table asked for A1 sauce (without even cutting into the steak). I'm thinking you probably shouldn't be spending $45 for a steak if you are going to pour a condiment all over it.

Back