Which shaft Matrix Ozik black tie or Miyazaki JDL 6 ?

I have a black tie X-stiff in my RBZ Stage 2 3HL. I cannot say enough good things about this shaft. You will need to be a consistent ball striker to fully get what the shaft has to offer. If your looking to purchase for the long term then that shaft is the way to go. It instills confidence when you really need to go after the ball. I have yet to out perform the shaft which is something I use to consistently do until I was properly fitted with the proper shafts.

Saffaclint,

Tell me more about that jdl6.

What flex was it? Trajectory, carry distance and rollout?

Thanks,
Jackal

Hey bud, sorry I didn't answer your question. I never hit the club with a launch monitor providing numbers so can't give you any help there unfortunately. I hit both S and X flex in the JDL6 and the S flex is what I went with. My swing speed is around 115 consistently but I can get it up over 120mph, I just lose consistency in that range. I went with the S flex as I preferred the feel and the slightly higher launch as well as the fact I all but eliminated a right miss with it.
Anyway, the longest drive I've had so far was over 320yards and that was on a flat hole with no wind blowing at all. I measured a few shots when I first got the club on the range at the course and the day I did so the ground was very wet so the ball basically plugged. This allowed me to get the carry distance off my GPS (marked tee spot and then where the ball was) and I was averaging about 260m/284yards which I'm plenty happy with. The course has dried out a bit now and the ball is getting some good roll out so distances are consistently over 300yards.
Hope this helps?

Clint,

That sounds good. I got enough info from you, blugold, and canadan, to make up my decision.

I ordered a classic custom 9*with the jdl 6 x shaft in it. They accidently sent me a jdl tour stiff, and it was a little too whippy for me.

They swapped shafts with me, and the x stiff is doing good.

I really don't know what my swing speed is, but since switching to x stiff in every club about 2 months ago, my ball flight has stopped ballooning, and goes a lot straighter.

I have only hit this x flex about 10 times, but it flys medium height with about a 5-10 yard draw.

The hosel is set for neutral upright.

I haven't taken it out to the course yet.

Maybe tomorrow evening I can go and give you guys the results.

Thanks for all of the input guys,

Jackal

I really would like to know my swing speed. Several people have told me that I REALLY load the shaft.

I'm glad you like what you got and hope it all works out well for you. I hit the X flex JDL6 and the ball flight was a little lower than I'd like, the S flex really launches the ball and it just bores through the wind. I played 9 holes the other night and teed off on the first, hitting into a solid 3 club wind and the ball never ballooned and that's all I ask for really. Have fun with the new stick and let us know how it works for you.

That is exactly what I'm hoping to get with mine.

I'll let you know,

Thanks,
Jackal

I went today with my son and we played 9 holes. It was almost completely dark when we finished.

At 3:30 pm it was 37* F . At the end it was around 33*F.

I hit the Cleveland driver about 5 times. It has a medium flight, and draws 5 to 10 yards. If you really get after it, it will get squirrelly.

In the cold weather and using a low compression bridgestone ladies precept mc, my drives were going 235 to 260 ( total distance ).

That isn't too bad considering there was standing water everywhere, and the ball would plug sometimes.

The jdl 6 x stiff shaft will perform even at 75% power swings. You can feel where the clubhead is at all times.
I can't wait to play this shaft in warm weather.

Jackal

You've hit the nail on the head! The JDL shaft doesn't punish you for not swinging 100% every time.

You've hit the nail on the head! The JDL shaft doesn't punish you for not swinging 100% every time.

See I found myself way more consistent with the black tie than the JDL. I have never tho got along with Miyazaki shafts.

I want to hit a black tie so I can give a first hand opinion of it.

None of the local shops have one. Stiff or X stiff.

I may have to go to Fayetteville or around that area.

The RIP alpha in my 13* 3 wood is nice but you have to really tear into it to make it go.

Jackal

I finally got to play 18 holes yesterday. It was 70 degrees out.

The wind was blowing around noon when we started, but died down after an hour or so.

I love that Cleveland driver and JDL shaft. I hit a mild draw 4 out of 5 times. The 1 out of 5 is a mild fade.

No slices or hooks.

It flys high but doesn't balloon. Penetrating ball flight.

I never knew golf could be like this.:bananadance:

Ground was wet, with no roll out.

Distance was 250 to 275 yards.

One of those days where you hate to quit and go home.

My driver is 9* and the only adjustment is 2* upright lie.

This club is so good ,I am thinking about buying a spare.:banana:

JAckal

It launches higher than the black tie but the feel is so much nicer. It's smooth, loads so nicely and I find I get a fair bit of rollout. I find it handles my swing speed really well, I swing at about 115mph and went with an S flex. I could hit the X flex but I was losing it right, the S flex all but eliminates the right side of holes for me. Try both shafts but the black tie appeals to a very small % of golfers.

I agree 100%. My swing speed is a little slower than yours - around 107mph. I have the Black Tie in a Cleveland Classic 290(also have that head with a Miyazaki Kusala Black) and also a Callaway XHot Pro and I don't like it in either head. For me the Black Tie launches medium high - just a little lower than the JDL but the Black Tie has a strange shudder at impact while the JDL is so much smoother.

Last edited:
Iv just got my hands on a classic with a kussla white 61x!
After hitting it once I knew it was staying In the bag! High launch and low spin from what I can see! Need to see the numbers!! This is without shadow of a doubt more forgiving than my RBz fubuki tour combo I was playing!!
The RBz may be a tad longer to tough to say at the min with the courses being so wet! I know one thing classic is hear to stay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the black tie in my big bertha and it's a monster. A total beast. I love it. I have a pretty aggressive transition and the ball flight / distance / control was so much better for me than the stock fubuki. Night and day difference. I don't have a low handicap, but I found that the shaft just plain works for me.

I love the 6M3 BT, definitely lowered the spin and flight over the stock shaft by a ton.

I just went from a Nunchuk to a Black Tie in stiff...The shaft is connected to a 9.5 ZL Encore head. I will hopefully be getting some range time in the next couple days, will let you know thoughts when done. My hope is going from a 104 gram Nunchuk to a 71 gram Black Tie things will work nicely and the shaft will be exactly what Im looking for. Many say the Nunchuk is boardy as well but I really like the shaft...we will see.

Back