Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

4-aw kbs tour v 120g.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Awesome! Be sure to take a picture of your AW and post it here when you can! I am getting an AW too and havent seen a picture of it yet!

Awesome! Be sure to take a picture of your AW and post it here when you can! I am getting an AW too and havent seen a picture of it yet!

Will do!

Why is that scrap?

You seem to like the MB irons and hit them really freaking well. I just thought that would have been the route you would have gone.

JDUB how was the distance in comparison to the XHOT PRO as that is what I am currently playing.

JDUB how was the distance in comparison to the XHOT PRO as that is what I am currently playing.

I demoed both x2hot pro and apex pro the otherday. Both with px95 6.0 shafts. They were on par distance, feel, dispersion wise for me.

You seem to like the MB irons and hit them really freaking well. I just thought that would have been the route you would have gone.

I do like MB irons. I just find that as soon as I get on a damp course I find with my swing they dig to much, especially with the scratch sb-1's that I had. As soon as I went with an iron with a wider sole I eliminated my fat miss. My scores really stabilized and lowered once I went with a wider soled iron.

I use to play Adams cb2 irons and those were so soft. I wanted that soft forged feeling again. The ap2's I had were great sticks and I played really well with them. Just not the soft feeling that the cb2. I find these apex pro irons have the same shape, and sole as the ap2 but the same soft feeling of the cb2.

Who knows. Maybe I will end up back in the ap2's but I don't think I will.

The first club I tore into:

y9aqu3y8.jpg
neta6eha.jpg
upa9umeg.jpg

I haven't hit them head-to-head on the same simulator, so it's hard to say. Based on the sim numbers, seems like they are about the same with the KBS V shaft. The Recoil was about 4 yards longer, but it was the lighter Recoil that goes with the regular Apex. I haven't been able to find anyplace that has the Recoil 110s. I really want to give those a try.

LOVE the look of that AW!

Looks awesome, feels awesome. Ill be either playing some golf or hitting the range. Hope weather cooperates

Well - i had ordered a combo set of Apex/APex Pros, both with Recoil 95s through Callaway Europe. Apparently, they can't mount the standard Recoil 95 on both heads due to diameter of heads (?) - so I ultimately went with the full set of Apex Pros, Recoil 95 F3 hard stepped once.

Are the Apex Pros are slightly more forgiving than the 714 AP2s ?
Is there really extra distance in the long clubs in normal Apex over Apex Pros?

Thanks all.

Well - i had ordered a combo set of Apex/APex Pros, both with Recoil 95s through Callaway Europe. Apparently, they can't mount the standard Recoil 95 on both heads due to diameter of heads (?) - so I ultimately went with the full set of Apex Pros, Recoil 95 F3 hard stepped ....

Thats disappointing, I wanted to go combo with graphite and the 95s were on my list.

Did you not try the 600 series in the Apex?

Well - i had ordered a combo set of Apex/APex Pros, both with Recoil 95s through Callaway Europe. Apparently, they can't mount the standard Recoil 95 on both heads due to diameter of heads (?) - so I ultimately went with the full set of Apex Pros, Recoil 95 F3 hard stepped once.

Are the Apex Pros are slightly more forgiving than the 714 AP2s ?
Is there really extra distance in the long clubs in normal Apex over Apex Pros?

Thanks all.

Yes, imho they are more forgiving than 714 AP2s. Mishits with the Apex Pros give me at least a half club more in distance.

My totally unscientific first take. Hit the apex pros today (6 iron with KBS Tour-V stiff) at the range off the mats. Cold and foggy so my review is based mainly on feel off the face and ball flight. I hit it side by side with the MP 54 (KBS Tour stiff) and the 714 AP2 (KBS Tour stiff). I also had a few swings with the non-pro version of the Apex but didn't like the larger head and firmer feel.

Looks: all 3 clubs are gorgeous when looking down at the ball. Personally, I prefer the chrome/satin contrast of the Mizunos, but I know a lot of guys like the all satin. From the back, IMO it is no contest; the Apex Pros look the best. They are simple and classy looking. The 54s are a close second for me and the AP2s a distant 3rd (just way too much going on back there for my taste).

Feel: all feel great. Mizunos are definitely the softest, followed by the Apex Pros, then the AP2s. IMO the Pros are closer to the Ap2s than the 54s in terms of softness.

Launch: The Apex Pros launch like the AP2s--significantly lower than the 54s. Distance was hard to tell but I felt like they were all more or less in the same ballpark with the Mizunos being a hair shorter if I didn't flush it. Dispersion wise, it was also close, but I seemed to hit the ball a bit straighter with the 54s (I think due to the heavier Kbs tour shaft ).

My range is having a Callaway fitting day in a month. I will see how the Apex Pros work with the kBS Tour stiff and then make a decision.

Can't go wrong with any of these clubs. They all perform nearly identically for me, except for the higher ball flight of the 54s. I have ruled out the AP2s, just don't fit my eye. The Apex Pros definitely do as do the 54s. I am excited to see the results of a proper fitting with these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
Looking at photos from Abu Dhabi on the golf channel website, Phil is bagging the Apex Pros and at least 2 of the Apex. Must not be all that bad ...

Ive got 3 rounds in with these so far. Some initial thoughts...

Apex pro with kbs tour-v 120g

The shaft is 10g lighter than my other set so took sone time to adjust. At first had a hard time feeling the head on my backswing. Took a very concious effort to lay the shaft down at the top and not have the shaft point right of target.

I am getting more carry out of these compared to my mp54s. I am careful to say "more carry" rather than hitting further. The ground is frozen this time of year so its given that there will br much more rollout. Playing today I was faced with 174yd approach. This would normally be 8i with my mp54 (165yd normally but allow more rollout) but I hit my 9i with the apex pro, proxeeded to hit front fringe of the green (~168yd) then roll through the back of the green. Thats more than 13 yds further in the air!

Also getting more draw with these than my mp54. It seems to me there is quite a bit of offset in these for a "pro" iron. My normal shot shape is a bit of a draw, normal miss is snap hook. Looking down at address, and seeing the offset makes me feel like im going to hit left. Perhaps its just my mind and swing affected by what I perceive, but its there for me.

Overall very pleased so far with the apex pro. Time will tell if I need to swap to heavier shaft or not

Thats disappointing, I wanted to go combo with graphite and the 95s were on my list.

Did you not try the 600 series in the Apex?

Well good news finally - Callaway Europe accepted to make my original order ordered from the US where they accept to make them.

I had contacted UST ( manufacturers of the Recoil shafts) - they indicated that the 95 was a superior shaft, for an advanced player. I liked the 600 weight wise, but apparently trajectories may be substantially higher. I went twith the UST 95 hard stepped, because i want something firmer than regular, and the F4 stiffs are 110g, whereas the F3 are 95...

I need to get in on this. I'll try to post my APEX Pros today. They arrived Friday!

Well good news finally - Callaway Europe accepted to make my original order ordered from the US where they accept to make them.

I had contacted UST ( manufacturers of the Recoil shafts) - they indicated that the 95 was a superior shaft, for an advanced player. I liked the 600 weight wise, but apparently trajectories may be substantially higher. I went twith the UST 95 hard stepped, because i want something firmer than regular, and the F4 stiffs are 110g, whereas the F3 are 95...

excellent news - I will try the same avenue as I will be ordering from Ireland ..

I get excited every time I see one of the tour pros swing one of these because I absolutely love the sound of the ball coming off the face of these irons.

I get excited every time I see one of the tour pros swing one of these because I absolutely love the sound of the ball coming off the face of these irons.

It's really hard to change the sound. What I mean is on mishits it still gives the same sound. It sure is nice.

Back