Social Levels of Forums

I use Ad-Blocker Plus with Firefox. I never saw any of their ads.

But their new site layout sucks! It was never great (I prefer vBulletin), but now it's just a mess. I hope they clean it up. I won't threadjack this thread by getting into my other feelings about WRX (both good and bad.)

I think this is still on topic. I actually created this thread knowing other forum comparisons would get made. Pointing out things you don't like about forums presents an insight as to what you do like about The Paradise.

As has been mentioned, that happens in social groups. Sometimes personalities clash, but for the most part, everyone tries to get along here. One other thing, post away, on whatever you want to talk about. If there's one place people don't need to worry about posting too much, it's here! The more you post the more people are going to respond to what you say and learn more about you.

I was actually afraid of this in the beginning because I do post a lot. At other sites, like my car one for instance, ick, don't even want to go there. But let's just say that I get comments that my posts are absolutely useless and I should just not be posting anything at all.

Here, I can just post to my heart's content :love:

Auto forums are the worst in terms of being civil, IMO. Insults and foul language are often allowed. In the one I'm on, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks, but there are a few that are extremely rude because they think know our vehicle so much better than anyone else.

Like was written earlier, there are varying levels of golfing skill on THP, but there aren't any condescending attitudes - at all. Everyone here tries to be helpful.

For the longest time, I had to convince people that I wasn't a hairy 40 year old man. I guess girl's can't be interested in cars as well. And I autocross too, and still :confused2:

Its an endless battle over there, so I'm just phasing it out!!

I am so touched to hear all these nice comments about THP. It's a gloomy rainy day here in Florida and yet it feels bright and sunny after reading this thread, thanks everyone!! We want to do everything we can to make our members happy and we hope everyone knows that if you ever need anything or have questions or suggestions that you can PM me, JB, Hacker, Forecaddie, or Craig Mac anytime, we are the 5 mods that run this place.

For the longest time, I had to convince people that I wasn't a hairy 40 year old man. I guess girl's can't be interested in cars as well. And I autocross too, and still :confused2:

Well, my fantasies are dashed. I just knew when I showed up for the California Outing, you would be a big old guy. :D

Well, my fantasies are dashed. I just knew when I showed up for the California Outing, you would be a big old guy. :D

Not even close :laughing:

Re: Social Levels of Forums

You guys have done a great job. I'm still a member of several forums but typically just look around and never post on them. Here Just seems more laid back and non judgemental.

Either that or I'm just trying to fit in with the cool kids at the lunch tables.

Golfchick = how do you have enough time? If your covering two forums, taking lessons, actually golfing, etc etc etc you must work maybe 5-10 minutes a day haha
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys have done a great job. I'm still a member of several forums but typically just look around and never post on them. Here Just seems more laid back and non judgemental.

Either that or I'm just trying to fit in with the cool kids at the lunch tables.

Golfchick = how do you have enough time? If your covering two forums, taking lessons, actually golfing, etc etc etc you must work maybe 5-10 minutes a day haha
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily, I'm on the computer all day long for my job so here I am :) I squeeze in some work time between all that :D

Atleast the ones that you thought were ads.

JB's right, they advertise everywhere possible. what they don't realize is that it completely overwhealms their content thus making their content to me "forgettable". I think we should all be extremely thankful that JB & GG have the business model for THP the way it is.

JB's right, they advertise everywhere possible. what they don't realize is that it completely overwhealms their content thus making their content to me "forgettable". I think we should all be extremely thankful that JB & GG have the business model for THP the way it is.

If you only knew what some of these sites get paid for.

On another topic, I would not exactly call this a biz model...hehe

I agree with this opinion. Well stated. :D
I agree that this forum is the most civil of any golf forum I have been on and JB, GG, and Hacker do a great job supervising and running this site. The reviews are also the best I've seen bar none: thorough, objective, and enjoyable.

At the same time, and I may upset some members for this, THP can be rather "cliquish".

That's what's so annoying about when we get accused of getting paid for positive reviews. Because, dammit, if I'm going to get accused of getting paid for my reviews, then I ought to at least get paid!

Hi All. As a newcomer, and someone who has never been part of any forum prior to this let me relate my limited experience of this site. To begin with I find it FANTASTIC and found the members to be most welcoming, especially those who might be termed the "founding fathers" apologies GG. I sought some advice from one of the "more frequent" posters (thanks Claire) and got an immediate response.
I'm here across the pond and already feel part of a very fine community of likeminded individuals. The exchanges are thouroughly enjoyable, the information and help fantastic and it's just like listening to conversation in a good Irish pub. Golf Chick even figured out my username although Claire got it straight off.
What I'm trying to say is, that I dont think it's possible to find a better place to discuss this great game and you get to talk about what life throws at you into the bargain if you want to.
MÍLE BUÍOCHAS.

On another topic, I would not exactly call this a biz model...hehe

oh, i have a pretty good idea of what they get paid for. I sell spaces for a newspaper's website, rates are probably all based on a cpm, and they can tier those rates based on sections/section fronts.

THP will take care of itself. It will get bigger and it will become the destination for online golf reviews and then you are in one nice pickle!

That's what's so annoying about when we get accused of getting paid for positive reviews. Because, dammit, if I'm going to get accused of getting paid for my reviews, then I ought to at least get paid!

GG says the exact same thing all the time.

I think we all have to be really thankful how selfless JB and GG are being with how they run this site. They could be making some pretty good money by taking ads, but they choose to keep it unbiased. Very few people would choose not to sell out when faced with comfort money or the possibility of such.

Hi All. As a newcomer, and someone who has never been part of any forum prior to this let me relate my limited experience of this site. To begin with I find it FANTASTIC and found the members to be most welcoming, especially those who might be termed the "founding fathers" apologies GG. I sought some advice from one of the "more frequent" posters (thanks Claire) and got an immediate response.
I'm here across the pond and already feel part of a very fine community of likeminded individuals. The exchanges are thouroughly enjoyable, the information and help fantastic and it's just like listening to conversation in a good Irish pub. Golf Chick even figured out my username although Claire got it straight off.
What I'm trying to say is, that I dont think it's possible to find a better place to discuss this great game and you get to talk about what life throws at you into the bargain if you want to.
MÍLE BUÍOCHAS.

Haha, no need for apologies I know what you are saying :D

GG says the exact same thing all the time.

Yes I do.

I'm still not convinced... :D

THP is like gravity....once you get sucked in you're committed...

I think the amount of involvement by the moderators (GG and JB) helps keep this forum pretty clean. While they have plenty good to say, we also know they're around keeping us in line... kind of like mom and dad, with 1500 kids! :laughing:

The exchanges are thouroughly enjoyable...and it's just like listening to conversation in a good Irish pub.

I agree, and I enjoy that, since I try to stay out of bars at this point in my life, but love that type of banter. I'm a real talker in bars believe it or not. I will say that while good, it's not quite as good as an Irish pub. But what is? I loved the pubs in Ireland.

Kevin

1500 kids? Gesssh what a tax write off. Also, some of those kids are old enough to be their parents.....parent? GG, and JB along with some of their helpers do a great job with this site. :clapp:
I think the amount of involvement by the moderators (GG and JB) helps keep this forum pretty clean. While they have plenty good to say, we also know they're around keeping us in line... kind of like mom and dad, with 1500 kids! :laughing:

Back