The Quit Smoking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep at it SethO. :clapp: In fact, you might find that with the extra cash laying around from not spending it on smokes, you'll be able to buy a club or two each month. Now thats incentive! I knew a guy who smoked 3 packs a day, quit, and bought a new pickup truck with the "left over" money as his reward!

wow! That is quite a reward.

Think about it... if someone is smoking 3 packs a day, at easily $5/pack, thats 3*5*30= $450 per month! Thats a lot of "left over" dough. Even if you were only smoking 1 pack a day, thats still $150 a month, easily a new wedge or hybrid each month, or a new driver every other month! I could go for that! :banana:

Think about it... if someone is smoking 3 packs a day, at easily $5/pack, thats 3*5*30= $450 per month! Thats a lot of "left over" dough. Even if you were only smoking 1 pack a day, thats still $150 a month, easily a new wedge or hybrid each month, or a new driver every other month! I could go for that! :banana:

That is quite a lot of money. I was nowhere near that volume when I quit. I can't imagine smoking that much on a daily basis.

Edit: I fixed my signature so it updates. Funny how I can write computer programs, but I made a simple mistake including an image in my sig.

Last edited:
SethO- the progress tracker is the best ever!

Good luck Seth. Remember what Mark Twain said: Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times.

Eventually I will have to take the same road as you. :)

Seth-

I quit smoking in my mid-20s. I had a couple of slips, but they never lasted long and I regretted each one of them. I started smoking when I was 16 and was up to a pack a day. Now I'm so far beyond it that I can't even fathom the concept of smoking.

I quit without any patches or gums and I quit cold turkey. My advice is fairly simple: You have to WANT to quit smoking. I mean really want it. You can't be quitting because "it's the right thing to do" or "for your health" or "because it's expensive" or because "your wife/parent/girlfriend/sibling/whoever wants you to." It has to be because you truly want it out of your life.

Other than that, my only trick was to remind myself each day that if I had a cigarette, I would have to reset the counter on the number of days I had been strong enough to go without a cigarette. That "streak" turned out to be a strong motivator for me.

Good luck and I hope you succeed. Once you get away from it, you will wonder how it was ever part of your life.

Good words Harry. I do truly want to quit because I want to quit. The streak is a good motivation. My dad said yesterday that if I go six months, we will take a fishing trip to Florida.

Oh and I am going to give myself another treat for going 2 weeks just to give myself a little more short term incentive. I am going to buy myself a dozen Pentas. It will be nice to have the extra spin around the green compared to the e6 that I am using at the moment.

What Harry said. Good luck to you. It can be done and if your experience mimics mine, after a few days, the urges get further apart and easier to overcome. The longer you go, the easier it gets.... and remember, new wedges and fishing. Now that's pretty much guy heaven.

This is a little update. I went out to eat steak at Long Horn with one of my friends. On our way there, he lit up a black and mild and I did not have one. I am on day 5 and I think that is an accomplishment.

Thanks for the kind words C-Tech. For me, the hardest time has been a week after I decided to stop because my drive to quit has lessened.

Repeat after me, CG15's, CG15's, CG15's. :D

Keep it going Seth. I know it's rough but the end justifies the means.

This is a little update. I went out to eat steak at Long Horn with one of my friends. On our way there, he lit up a black and mild and I did not have one. I am on day 5 and I think that is an accomplishment.

Thanks for the kind words C-Tech. For me, the hardest time has been a week after I decided to stop because my drive to quit has lessened.

Way to go Seth! I'm sure after a great meal it was a big test to NOT have a smoke. When I smoked, I enjoyed my cig after a great meal.

With the passing of each "test", you're building more and more confidence that you can do this. Soon, it won't even be an afterthought that you didn't want that smoke.

You're doing great buddy!

Good for you Seth. :clapp:

Keep it going Seth. I know it's rough but the end justifies the means.

Way to go Seth! I'm sure after a great meal it was a big test to NOT have a smoke. When I smoked, I enjoyed my cig after a great meal.

With the passing of each "test", you're building more and more confidence that you can do this. Soon, it won't even be an afterthought that you didn't want that smoke.

You're doing great buddy!

Thanks gentlemen and GG, Diane and GC. Your support means more than you know.

I have been having dreams about smoking most nights. I get mad because that puts off the purchase of my CG15s.

There are still restaurants that allow smoking?

You are doing awesome! To be able to resist something that is right in front of you, like it was last night that is huge, you should be really proud of yourself.

There are still restaurants that allow smoking?

There are around here. They used to be the big area of the restaurant but now they are the small area. Some places to eat are smoke free but I think most have smoking sections. My wife had to get used to them asking "Smoking or Non" when we went out.

Interesting note: Nicotine enhances the absorbtion of caffiene into the bloodstream, so when you stop smoking, you need more caffiene because you're no longer absorbing it as well!

Thanks gentlemen and GG, Diane and GC. Your support means more than you know.

I have been having dreams about smoking most nights. I get mad because that puts off the purchase of my CG15s.

Any time Seth.

I think the dreams are just fantasy. I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back