Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right, I don't often hit a "max score" but 1 ten every couple rounds does happen. I just wanted to be sure I was being fair to myself.

Welllll I shot 111 today on an absolutely idyllic day and course had a wonderful time, I managed to finally get my swing in the bunkers sorted out and have begun to get the driver under control I do expect and believe the next round will be much improved.

Welllll I shot 111 today on an absolutely idyllic day and course had a wonderful time, I managed to finally get my swing in the bunkers sorted out and have begun to get the driver under control I do expect and believe the next round will be much improved.

man I'm jealous, assuming you mean the course you posted. That course looked like a real challenge and some beautiful scenery. I'm playing a little muni course tomorrow that I like but have only played once before. The best part is that it'll be with a friend who I haven't golfed with in 6 months. Last time he beat me by 10 strokes. But... I've been practicing :D

man I'm jealous, assuming you mean the course you posted. That course looked like a real challenge and some beautiful scenery. I'm playing a little muni course tomorrow that I like but have only played once before. The best part is that it'll be with a friend who I haven't golfed with in 6 months. Last time he beat me by 10 strokes. But... I've been practicing :D
Yes that was the course I have a pic I will post here in a minute it was EXTREMELY challenging but just incredible and honestly the greens whooped me I only holed two putts all day and the rest were 3 putts. I really am looking forward to the next round .
Have a great round with your buddy man .

Hey Baldguy how did that round go for you??

so much fun playing with my buddy. He beat me overall by two strokes but I won in skins :D

I'm enjoying reading the stories of y'all's games. Jealous that you can play right now. Four inches of snow here today.

Keep the tales coming. I have to live vicariously through you folks for now!

Rooting for your success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish there was an OEM who focused on high handicappers. I'm sure JB and GG could work their magic for a high handicap THP event. Maybe wishful thinking... but sure would be fun to get out on the course with a bunch of fellow 25+ HCP THPers

I took a step back today and shot a 104. My putting was off and totaled 42. I also had 3 penalties, 2 of which were on the same hole. It was a par 5 that I shot an 8 on. Drive went into the water, had and awesome 3w shot after a drop, then a sliced 3 hybrid shot lost out of bounds. I didn't have my wedges because I'm having them adjusted and regripped, so I had some issues adjusting my short game. And as always, when my approach shots land on the green they are almost always 10-20 feet from the pin - setting me up for multiple putts. Either way, stupid mistakes kept from shooting in the 90's today.

I took a step back today and shot a 104. My putting was off and totaled 42. I also had 3 penalties, 2 of which were on the same hole. It was a par 5 that I shot an 8 on. Drive went into the water, had and awesome 3w shot after a drop, then a sliced 3 hybrid shot lost out of bounds. I didn't have my wedges because I'm having them adjusted and regripped, so I had some issues adjusting my short game. And as always, when my approach shots land on the green they are almost always 10-20 feet from the pin - setting me up for multiple putts. Either way, stupid mistakes kept from shooting in the 90's today.

Next round Man !!! you'll get em for sure

I wish there was an OEM who focused on high handicappers. I'm sure JB and GG could work their magic for a high handicap THP event. Maybe wishful thinking... but sure would be fun to get out on the course with a bunch of fellow 25+ HCP THPers

I agree I like Pings and I like the way they layout the info on the website. However it seems as though now all of their clubs are of the Game improvement variety.......But yes would be nice to see more mfg that have a hackers option LOL

I agree I like Pings and I like the way they layout the info on the website. However it seems as though now all of their clubs are of the Game improvement variety.......But yes would be nice to see more mfg that have a hackers option LOL

When we find that manufacturer, we need to get them to sponsor an event. According to GHIN, the average handicap for men that actually maintain a handicap is 16.1. For women it's about 29. Most experts believe that at least 75% of amateur golfers have never even registered and as such have no handicap, nor have they ever legitimately broken 100. Of course all of us want to be like Tiger or Phil or Rory and want to hit what they're hitting. So, the majority of the market isn't gaming what they /should/ be gaming. Some people (especially THPers) will do a ton of research and hopefully let go of some ego and get equipment that fits better. Some of the people who are trying to find the right gear just look at their score/handicap and go for whatever they're told someone "like them" is supposed to game. I'd love to see a manufacturer who is genuinely interested in fitting higher handicappers with clubs that will improve their game also sponsor an event where the high handicap players get extensively fitted for a new set, then compete with that set. Then have the world (or at least our corner of it) revel at how well the new equipment works for them.

When we find that manufacturer, we need to get them to sponsor an event. According to GHIN, the average handicap for men that actually maintain a handicap is 16.1. For women it's about 29. Most experts believe that at least 75% of amateur golfers have never even registered and as such have no handicap, nor have they ever legitimately broken 100. Of course all of us want to be like Tiger or Phil or Rory and want to hit what they're hitting. So, the majority of the market isn't gaming what they /should/ be gaming. Some people (especially THPers) will do a ton of research and hopefully let go of some ego and get equipment that fits better. Some of the people who are trying to find the right gear just look at their score/handicap and go for whatever they're told someone "like them" is supposed to game. I'd love to see a manufacturer who is genuinely interested in fitting higher handicappers with clubs that will improve their game also sponsor an event where the high handicap players get extensively fitted for a new set, then compete with that set. Then have the world (or at least our corner of it) revel at how well the new equipment works for them.

I think you have some good (great actually) points here.
I wonder how much of equipment selection by amateurs falls into these two areas

Ego Driven, meaning If I buy that I will stripe it like Mahan, woods etc OR
Impression Based, meaning concern over what others see you playing or your gear purchases influenced by golfers you look up to so to speak.

I absolutely think it would be in the interest of growing the sport to find a way to invite more people to establish a handicap, what I mean by this is some sort of introduction to it so to speak. I have golfed on and off for many years but until this year had no clue as to what really all was involved in establishing a handicap. It is MY OWN fault that I didn't sooner, but, at the same time none of the courses I played at had any sort of info presented ENCOURAGING it not one, not ever.........I think that is a bit of a failing to be truthful.

For me at least I know now that my goal is to get and maintain a handicap , it has driven me to take the game a bit more seriously , and have a desire to improve and WORK at that improvement. I think it could help if that was on the minds of the employees and professionals at the point of sale so to speak. I get that it isn't for everyone, but I do feel that many people would pursue it if they were made more aware.

I also will be joining a mens club soon and hope to get more involved in learning and hopefully passing along the love of this great sport.

It's funny when I first read your comment I immediately think of guitar players (in relation to gear). Man I just bought (insert expensive gear here) and I still sound awful......I don't play anything like Vai........................
Generally in any sport or pursuit it isn't the GEAR as much as the effort that creates success. BUt I do think it would behoove a big name manufacturer to come out with a line of entry level gear both price point and forgiveness wise.

Once again I hope that made some sense I am a stream of (un) consciousness typist LOL

^^^^^ This!

so when I went to warm up for today's round with my dad, I decided I'd try a different shaft in my Amp Cell. I have quite a few and I know which ones I like. The White Tie I have in there has just been too high launching, even though it feels awesome... so I went to put in my Black Tie. As I screwed the head onto the shaft, I felt it give just a little bit. The threads had come loose from the adapter! That means that the head was firmly attached to... just the threads. With no way to remove the screw (not even in the pro shop, I tried) I had to put the amp cell back in my truck and play with out a driver. I didn't even have time to run back to my house to get another driver... and the pro shop had no loaners with oversize grips... Shouldn't be a big deal since I have a 3w I like a lot and because of the wind and my dad's old age we were playing from the white tees, a step forward from where I normally play.

It was very strange with no driver in the bag. I've never played a round like that. I still had a case of the rights, but even in todays crazy wind I shot a 96. It wasn't a terrible round, and it wasn't a good one. It was just average. I had a couple of blow-up triple and quad-bogeys, a couple of pars, and even a birdie on the par 4 18th (which is a tough hole that I have never birdied before). It really made me re-think course management. I've played that course many times, as it's my home course, but I saw a few of the holes from a much different perspective today. I'm supposed to play there again tomorrow... I'm not 100% sure I will bother fixing my driver tonight. Hell, I might even leave the 3w at home and just play with my 19* 3H off the tee. Worth it as an experiment, I think.

94 today in some cold and breezy conditions. beat my handicap. If not for some big mistakes (one triple and a handful of doubles) I just might have broken 90. good day today!

edited to add: this was with the driver in the bag, from the blue tees (one up from the tips). I did have some slices, but not as bad as in the past. I'm focusing on keeping my hands more in front of my chest throughout the swing. When I do that successfully, I get a much better ball flight. Straight, occasionally with a little draw. Had a couple of my best drives ever on some holes today. Did push one of them OB right though, so still plenty of work to do... but I'm happy with my progress :)

Last edited:
I've been working on the swing changes from the first of my current round of lessons and am really grooving my swing. I have new-to-me irons coming in today that should peform better for me (Titleist 712 AP2 - heavier stiff shafts vs TM RBZ - current light regular flex shafts). I was able to hit an AP2 during my lesson and saw significant accuracy improvement. I also have my new R1 with stiff shaft and am dialing it in. I had a lot of nice 240+ yard shots at the range this weekend (and a lot of topped 5 yard shots!). If I can just remember to take it down a notch with the driver I'll keep it straight. Between the equipment and swing changes I'm feeling pretty confident that I will be shooting under 100 this weekend.

Shot a PB of 95 last weekend.

A couple of observations and a little about my game. I am a regular 105-110 kind of guy.

I have just a couple weeks ago joined my first golf club. It is notoriously tough with very tricky greens. Tough for a beginner I must admit!

After having 6 or 7 rounds on my new home course, I am consistently hitting 105-109 with some very promising pars and birdie opportunities. I genuinely believe you can only get better playing a harder course and playing a better opponents. I am playing with guys who are 10-15hcp which is much better than me, but I feel that in this situation, a hard course, good opponent, you concentrate more and play your best golf.

Key points I thought made the difference this round.

Keep it in play, 3 wood 200-240 yards off the tee for me... I practice this. I relax, I hit it fluidly and calmly... and if it goes 150? So be it. If I try and crush it... I'll top it or thin it!

2nd shot. Keep it in play. Front of the green? Just off the green? No worries. Keep it in play! My iron game is weak. I can barely hit an iron 160yrds straight most days... and as such my 2nd shots are rarely on the green. If this sounds like you... Practice your...

Pitch shots and chip and run I practice these more than my drives. It's so important for me to get that near the hole and two putt for bogey or better yet par... oh, and if the pitch goes in? Birdie time baby.

Anyway I know this is all stuff you know, but key points for me was swing my swing. No swing thoughts, just relax. I hit it straighter and further if I baby my shots, take it easy.

This score was with an 8 on a par 3. We are getting there guys!

94 today in some cold and breezy conditions. beat my handicap. If not for some big mistakes (one triple and a handful of doubles) I just might have broken 90. good day today!

edited to add: this was with the driver in the bag, from the blue tees (one up from the tips). I did have some slices, but not as bad as in the past. I'm focusing on keeping my hands more in front of my chest throughout the swing. When I do that successfully, I get a much better ball flight. Straight, occasionally with a little draw. Had a couple of my best drives ever on some holes today. Did push one of them OB right though, so still plenty of work to do... but I'm happy with my progress :)

Woo Hoo!!!! Way to go man, Just curious do you think some of the improvements came from your lessons, or just better focus and course management??

I've been working on the swing changes from the first of my current round of lessons and am really grooving my swing. I have new-to-me irons coming in today that should peform better for me (Titleist 712 AP2 - heavier stiff shafts vs TM RBZ - current light regular flex shafts). I was able to hit an AP2 during my lesson and saw significant accuracy improvement. I also have my new R1 with stiff shaft and am dialing it in. I had a lot of nice 240+ yard shots at the range this weekend (and a lot of topped 5 yard shots!). If I can just remember to take it down a notch with the driver I'll keep it straight. Between the equipment and swing changes I'm feeling pretty confident that I will be shooting under 100 this weekend.
Nice can't wait to see how the summer goes for you!

Played in a tournament this past Saturday and carded a 119, dead last although did win $ for skins go figure. Been playing 95-102 range, just one of those days. Started my round w a par, then got to the 4th hole, drove 270 and had 70 yard left on the 2nd hardest hole (2 creeks, power lines), hit a wedge carry the creek but then hit side of hill and rolled into water. Dumped the next 3 in water (tin cup!!!) carded a 13. The later carded a 10 just a bad day.

had a good range session today, wonder where these swings were Saturday.

...snip...I'd love to see a manufacturer who is genuinely interested in fitting higher handicappers with clubs that will improve their game also sponsor an event where the high handicap players get extensively fitted for a new set, then compete with that set. Then have the world (or at least our corner of it) revel at how well the new equipment works for them.

I'd be in. One of the reasons I haven't tried to sign up for a THP event so far is my handicap. I don't want to be the guy that slows everyone down or holds them back. It's a little intimidating at this point in my game. BUT, if I knew it was an event for high handicappers only I'd be all over it!

I'd be in. One of the reasons I haven't tried to sign up for a THP event so far is my handicap. I don't want to be the guy that slows everyone down or holds them back. It's a little intimidating at this point in my game. BUT, if I knew it was an event for high handicappers only I'd be all over it!

I usually prefer playing with other people of similar ability. I can totally relate to the intimidation part, but I'll be honest... I think playing with better players has helped me improve my own game. Most of the people I play with regularly are single digit HCP or close to it. If I frustrate them or slow them down too badly, they are nice enough not to let it show :). The more I'm able to get over the need to impress, the better I play. It also doesn't hurt to see that even the extremely well-skilled also falter on occasion.

That said, I would love to have a full card of 20-40 HCP THPers. I think we'd have a blast!

Woo Hoo!!!! Way to go man, Just curious do you think some of the improvements came from your lessons, or just better focus and course management??
I think *some* of the improvements have come from lessons, though honestly it's hard to say how much. I think I've gotten just as much out of reading here on THP, watching hours upon hours of instructional videos, and trying to put those tips and tricks into play. Not everything works for me, but some things do. Trial and error.

My real issue with lessons is that I was disillusioned a bit after trying a few different instructors. They all were teaching different things. I get that there can be lots of different "right" ways to accomplish a goal. But how 4 different "teaching pros" can look at my swing and all tell me to adjust and change different things... many times in direct conflict with another pro... well that's just beyond me. If I can ever find one coach that I really click with i will just stick with him. Coach #5 is getting interviewed in a week or so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back