Played with a +3 handicapper yesterday.

I have had the pleasure with three scratch players all at once. I was at my worst and it was not a lot of fun. Two of the guys were very pleasant, but the guy I was riding with was throwing a tantrum because he showed up late and insisted on driving the cart. He just could not play, according to him, unless he drove the cart. I was "nice" enough to let him drive and I lived to regret it until I outplayed everyone on the 18th hole.

I have had the pleasure with three scratch players all at once. I was at my worst and it was not a lot of fun. Two of the guys were very pleasant, but the guy I was riding with was throwing a tantrum because he showed up late and insisted on driving the cart. He just could not play, according to him, unless he drove the cart. I was "nice" enough to let him drive and I lived to regret it until I outplayed everyone on the 18th hole.

Nicely done bud!

I've played numerous rounds with tour players and only one stands out as a learning experience. My round with Tom Lehman taught me a great deal about tempo and staying with in your game.

Freddie, did he say anything in particular to you about tempo? Or was it just you being able to observe him for a whole round up close and personal? Any insights you could share would be awesome.

I'm joining at a new club this year, and hope to be able to play with some of the better players there. In my regular group, I'm generally one of the better golfers in the group, so I'm hoping playing with better players would help me improve my game.

Freddie, did he say anything in particular to you about tempo? Or was it just you being able to observe him for a whole round up close and personal? Any insights you could share would be awesome.
I remover asking him midway through our round if he ever felt the need to get after it and he replied...'why, just pull another club, choke down and maintain your tempo.' He stressed using every club in the bag to get the job done.

But I learned more just watching him play and shoot'n the sh!t with him. He made no unnecessary movements in the swing or a or around the course. He stayed even and upbeat the entire round and when he missed the green he played everything back in stance and got the ball running like a putt. He controlled his distance with dead hand chips that hit and ran out.

Played with a scratch golfer a couple weeks ago. He was playing some Mizuno blades and hitting them with such a beautiful trajectory I couldn't wait for his next shot. The more I watched him, the more I realized that I was in no way hitting down on the ball like I need to be. Since then, I have been really focusing on that and have been doing much better. I wish I could play with people like that all the time.

There's a few scratch golfers at our course who went to different colleges to play golf.

Every once and awhile John Hurley comes home, he's probably the best golfer I've seen, haven't played with him, he was on a few Web.com tour last year, didn't do so well. The guy can drive a ball 400 yards if he wants it's unreal the sound he makes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Met John Hurley a couple times at Redstone working with the Director of Golf at UofH, John is ridiculously long. I mean that impact with the ball is special, I can hear the golf ball cry.

Anytime I play with low handicappers I always try and glean something from their game that I can implement into mine. I'm always trying to learn and evolve!

Met John Hurley a couple times at Redstone working with the Director of Golf at UofH, John is ridiculously long. I mean that impact with the ball is special, I can hear the golf ball cry.

You could always tell when he was on the course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I've played with a lot of guys who are around a 0 and as good as a +3. A very good friend of mine was playing to a +3 when he was the head pro at the course I was an Asst Pro at. He has shot a LOT of rounds in the 60's, and on some good courses as well. Being that I was to a 0 at one point, it just seemed like playing with guys near my level, so I got use to it. I just love playing golf with anyone really, no matter the handicap. As long as we all have fun that's the main thing.
The most awesome round I ever got to enjoy, I wasn't even playing. My brother was playing in the Bayer Advantage Classis Pro Am at Lion's Gate Golf Club in KC and I was his caddy. We were pared with RW Eaks and he shot THE MOST EFFERTLESS 65 I have ever seen in my life!!!

One of my regular golfing buddies is a mini tour player. He got his 1st win in FLA last year and was SOOO stoked. He has had a VERY up and down "career" so was good for him to get this win. We just have a lot of fun when we play, Sometimes we will play our regular 18 then play a money game for the next 9 holes. Even giving me strokes he beats me ALL the time!

He can pound it like Dustin Johnson too. I am not short by any means off the tee and he hits his irons 2-3 clubs longer then me. One hole comes to mind, a 530yd Par 5. Driver-8 iron to 12 feet and lipped the eagle putt.

My neighbor was a scratch golfer and I played a round with him when i first started golfing a couple years back. He shot a 69 but it just looked so easy for him. It was really inspiring and part of the reason I'm so obsessed now. Every hole was t-shot, throw it on the green and putt it.. Amazing.

One thing i notice when playing with really good golfers is that their address positions look 10 times different than what mine feels like. Hard to explain.

I have never played golf with a +hdc but I would welcome the experience. I hope to play in a proam one day to see how much different a pro plays a course vice myself

I have played with Guy Boro's a few times, it is so fun playing with a Tour Pro

I've got two guys that are on my golf team that both have +2 handicaps. I play with them almost everyday in the summer and even though they make me feel like I'm terrible, they set my standards high and make me better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I played with a few pro's when I was a teenager. I worked at a Country Club and often got the chance to play with guys who were on the Sunshine Tour back in the early 90's. I was 14/15 and playing off about 5 and I remember being in awe of the guys I played with. Everything they did looked so effortless!

I have a friend that I play with a lot recently and he has his Pro card. Three years ago he finished 2 shots shy of qualifying for the U.S Open. With his new job he does not get to practice or play as much but he still has an amazing game. I love to play with him because he is so laid back and he makes me laid back. This summer all of my lowest scores were with him.

I play with a buddy sometimes who is close to scratch and is a former REMAX long drive competitor. Great guy, loves the game and never makes you feel down when he is blowing it 360 (or more) every hole. The thing that gets me is the game he has around the greens. Easy to think long drive guys are just bombers but he has soft hands and great touch. I like it, it makes you focus hard, the competitor in all of us comes out when playing with someone better.

Two years ago when me and my 2 best friends went on a golf trip to Scottsdale, we played We-Ko-Pa. The starter says he has a single he is going to put in with us - naturally, it was my day to be the single, so he was paired up with me. I tell him we play from the Whites, and he says he is going to try & play from the black tees. This guy is middle age, about my height, 5"11 and skinny, but I knew he could probably play - but I have played with maybe 2-3 guys who really should be playing from the very back tees. We were on the whites tees already to tee off when he was paired up with us, so we all teed off. I hit a good drive, about 245 left edge of the fairway. in the meantime, he had walked back to his tee. Next thing you know, I hear what appears to be a cannon shot, then watch as his ball flies 30 yards past mine - from the back tees! He ended missing one fairway & hitting every green in regulation except 2 - and he saved par on both of them. One par save was after he got a bad kick of a hill and the ball flew OB! What was cool was that day I had shot my personal best - 84. After the round, he said if he had my short game he'd probably still be playing professionally in New Zealand ( sure he was just being nice! )- he never mentioned playing at that level through the whole round! Best part was he was really down to earth, and appeared to have a good time.

I played with a +5 once. Halfway through the round I asked him what his handicap was and once I heard it I asked him why he wasn't a pro. He said this to me: "It's just not in me. You have to want it."

Just goes to show you it's all in your head.

I have a buddy i play with who is a +1 it can be a trip playing with him drives it 300+ and seems to drop it with in 6 ft of the pin all day long

One of the groups I play with at the club range from +1 to +5. The +5 has won the state am, the state midam, and the Atlanta Match Play tournaments several times. All these guys are great to play with but make me feel inadequate. As good as those guys are, maybe the best player I play with is the son of one of my friends. My friend is not bad at 0-2 handicap. The son played on an NCAA championship team at Alabama a few years back and is now on the Web.com tour having made it through Q-school this winter. It was a joy to watch him grow as a player from a talented kid to an aspiring pro. The last time I played with him a couple of months ago, it was not good playing conditions but I think he had 8 birdies and one bogie or some such obscene number. It was fun to watch.

:act-up:All proper fundamentals...not playing 36 holes a day..playing smarter than us

My two golf buddies are +4 and +8 one is a senior, they have made me a better golfer and I get a chance to play with several that are better than them. I enjoy watching good golf even it's not always from my own club. I have also played with some who claimed to be +3 or less that couldn't find the green.

Back