Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dave, great pictures of some nice looking dogs. ("looks to me like a giant knitting mistake".) Thats great.

Haha, AWS was going to be my first guess but I thought your dog looked bigger than the ones I've seen. Turns out it is bigger.:D

Do you use her as a hunting retriever?

I'm not a hunter so JJ doesn't hunt. Field Trial training is a lot of work and expensive so we didn't go that route either (JJ's sire had his Senior Hunter title). But a half mile down the road is a pond where he gets to swim/retrieve occasionally.

dave (born/raised in Missouri - south of St. Louis)

I'm not a hunter so JJ doesn't hunt. Field Trial training is a lot of work and expensive so we didn't go that route either (JJ's sire had his Senior Hunter title). But a half mile down the road is a pond where he gets to swim/retrieve occasionally.

dave (born/raised in Missouri - south of St. Louis)
Yes it is, my first hunt test dog I sent to a trainer and then a guy decided he had to have her so I sold her. After that I started taking the pro's puppies and raising them for him until about 6 months old and then he would take them back to start their serious training. I loved working with the young dogs and he didn't have time so it worked out pretty good. Sadly a dispute about money ended that relationship and after I sold the last one I decided I was done with retriever training.

I've always ha either an English Setter or a German Shorthair. I always wanted an English water spaniel, great dogs. Very trainer smart.

I've always ha either an English Setter or a German Shorthair. I always wanted an English water spaniel, great dogs. Very trainer smart.

Duey - do the German Shorthairs point and retrieve?

I had a couple of German Shorthaired Pointers before the Labs, the quail numbers dropped so bad around here that you couldn't get the dogs on birds. My father in law is a diehard though, he's still got two GSP's and hunts every chance he gets.

Duey - do the German Shorthairs point and retrieve?

Diane, yes they do, very well. GSH are full of energy and longer ranging unless you have them under collar, but thats good at times. Great dogs.

Upland birds need a little range unless you have over 7 or 8 hunters.

Here is a couple of pictures of my troublemaker. The first picture was taken he was about 8 months old. The second one he is about 13 months. He is about 1.5 years old now.

n503836125_2182798_6079315.jpg

13860_178781431125_503836125_3409942_2331443_n.jpg

Cute boy, Islander!

Here is a couple of pictures of my troublemaker. The first picture was taken he was about 8 months old. The second one he is about 13 months. He is about 1.5 years old now.

Sweet! No trouble, he just wants to be the boss, lmao.

Nice Islander. Goldens always look so happy.

Re: Pet Picture Thread

Re: Pet Picture Thread

He looks like he has some energy to burn Islander.

My last hunt. These setters were from the St Louise area I believe and world class. They brought them in for our hunt and believe me, we appreciated it, lol. Look at the cover behind them!

IMG00286.jpg

What a fantastically beautiful dog!

Thanks guys

My friends have several Spinoni who love to hunt. One day we were in their backyard by the pool and a bird flew in too low. One of the dogs jumped up and grabbed the bird. It was amazing to watch.

Diane - I was too busy searching (mostly in vain) for old pictures and I missed that response.

But this would seem to me to be a serious problem. I am sure that

1) The dog didn't have a hunting license
2) It was probably in town so it was illegal
3) There is a good chance it was not hunting season

Is the dog in jail :banana:

And I surely hope that it was only one under par - if it was 2 under par (an eagle) then things could really get serious!

dave

ps. Serious question - what kind of bird was it? A Spinone is a good sized dog and could probably handle about any bird other than maybe an ostrich.

Diane - I was too busy searching (mostly in vain) for old pictures and I missed that response.

But this would seem to me to be a serious problem. I am sure that

1) The dog didn't have a hunting license
2) It was probably in town so it was illegal
3) There is a good chance it was not hunting season

Is the dog in jail :banana:

And I surely hope that it was only one under par - if it was 2 under par (an eagle) then things could really get serious!

dave

ps. Serious question - what kind of bird was it? A Spinone is a good sized dog and could probably handle about any bird other than maybe an ostrich.

I'm not sure - it was small like a finch or wren. The bird didn't make it, but I think it died of fright because Bea caught and held it gently. Spinoni are wonderful dogs.

These friends keep birds in their freezer for practice. I know they're in there, but still scream every time I open the freezer. Dead things freak me out.

I'm not sure - it was small like a finch or wren. The bird didn't make it, but I think it died of fright because Bea caught and held it gently. Spinoni are wonderful dogs.

These friends keep birds in their freezer for practice. I know they're in there, but still scream every time I open the freezer. Dead things freak me out.

LOL, my wife used to get PO'd when I would have dead ducks in ziplock bags in the freezer. I think she's glad I'm not training any retrievers now.:D

LOL, my wife used to get PO'd when I would have dead ducks in ziplock bags in the freezer. I think she's glad I'm not training any retrievers now.:D

At least you have them in bags. My friends just stuff the birds in the freezer - as is.

At least you have them in bags. My friends just stuff the birds in the freezer - as is.

Woo, can't imagine they'd last long without freezer burn. I salt to get the extra blood out in fridge one night, then freeze in ziplock with water. Same thing with the fish, except two nights for catfish.

Woo, can't imagine they'd last long without freezer burn. I salt to get the extra blood out in fridge one night, then freeze in ziplock with water. Same thing with the fish, except two nights for catfish.

We're talking whole birds, feathers and all, to use for retriever training. It keeps them usable until the next training session, it only works once though.

We're talking whole birds, feathers and all, to use for retriever training. It keeps them usable until the next training session, it only works once though.

That seem's odd to me, but everyone has their tactics, lol. I used a wing with pups and then bought live birds for the older dogs. Tuck their head and they stay pretty well.

That seem's odd to me, but everyone has their tactics, lol. I used a wing with pups and then bought live birds for the older dogs. Tuck their head and they stay pretty well.

Yeah we did that with the pointers too, it doesn't work too well for retrievers though. I never tried to tuck a mallards head under it's wing but I imagine it would put up a helluva fight.:D

Yeah we did that with the pointers too, it doesn't work too well for retrievers though. I never tried to tuck a mallards head under it's wing but I imagine it would put up a helluva fight.:D

LMAO, yeah a mallard might just take except to that one. I've used quail, pigeons and hen Pheasants and the pen raised birds worked good for pointers and setters. Ducks and geese not recommended, :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back