i squint my left eye. center the hash over the heart. pull the trigger.

oh wait. you meant golf. yeah...not so much. no aiming.

You are from Texas, right? Tiger had just better be glad Elin wasn't from Texas.

Pick a target.....

find a spot 2 yards infront of the ball on the target line and use that as my aim point when i come to address.....

quick glance over my left shoulder to be sure i'm on line and comfortable with my club......and BOOM.....hopefully at the pin

:banana:

Pulled up many searches on google with tons of different distances.Some choose 12",18" ,24" and a few with 36".Either way you choose,always pick a spot to align yourself with would be a good thing to do.

Pulled up many searches on google with tons of different distances.Some choose 12",18" ,24" and a few with 36".Either way you choose,always pick a spot to align yourself with would be a good thing to do.

That's a fact. Easier to set the clubface to a point within 3 feet than to a point 200 yards out. :dohanim:

Hola

Hola

Walk behind the ball, in line with the target
Choose a target in front of me, maybe 10yards
Align ball between my feet depending on the club I am hitting
visualize the shot
Swing

I find my target, find a spot in the ground about 2 feet ahead of the ball inline with my target, set the club down, feet together, then widen my feet.

You pick a target? :D

Actually at one of those Wendy's clinics on Golf Channel recently, Fred Couples says he really doesn't aim. :bulgy-eyes:

Since I have developed an aiming problem the over past few rounds, I took the time today to go to the range and figure out what was going on. Prior to the range visit, I went over some my notes, and some John Jacob's tuition reading. I am speaking of the European Jacobs.

So armed with some renewed knowledge I headed for the practice area. My warm up was a bit unorthodox to say the least. I used a 68* wedge. That in itself is humbling, but it did help with my tempo, and timing. After warming up, which included quite a few shanks, :banghead: I purchased 30 balls, and found a grassy stall. First bunch of balls with 5 iron no problem. Next bunch with a PW no problem. In fact I was hitting everything pretty well, with every club. I was not knocking down any flags, but I would have hit a lot of greens. My aim method was nothing surprising. I had just forgotten it. I would find a spot in front of the ball, walk at an angle to along side the ball while looking at that ball target line spot. I would then align my club face with the ball target line, then with out moving the club face/head, I would adjust my stance, and ball position to fit what my club face, ball target line was telling me to do.

So now what the heck was I doing wrong, that apparently now I am not doing? Need to find that out before I am done with this swing issue. How easy it is for us to forget what need to do in the golf swing to have a chance of scoring well. Here's what I was doing wrong. I would find a spot in front of the ball for a target line. I would then walk at an angle to along side the ball, all the while looking at my intended target (not the ball target line spot :banghead:) . I would take my stance, still looking at my intended target. Then place the club head/face behind the ball, and swing away. By not aligning my club face first, then my stance, I was starting my back swing with the wrong ball position, which helped to close my shoulders, even though my stance was pretty square.

This is just my problem, and how I have corrected it for the time being. It may, or may not work for others. Tomorrow I am playing 18 holes, and the entire focus of the round will be about placing the club face behind the ball target line, then stepping into my stance. Hopefully this focus will take care of a good score. :clapp:

if i want to hit a straight, stock iron shot, its a very slightly open stance with the ball a little back in my stance and i pick a really precise target other the the flag. and never aim for just an area or the fairway. cuz big targets mean big misses.

I pretty much follow the same pre-shot as the OP. I try to pick a spot ahead of the ball a couple of yards and use this spot for lining up my shot.

I am working on two things right now. Preshot routine to improve my aim and playing more of a cut than the draw I have developed over the last couple of years. I believe these two things will start to bring my scores down. I put both in play over the weekend and I can tell a big difference in my accuracy. The cut is getting the ball up much higher, but it has taken a few yards off my distance. Once I get the new yardages down, I think it will really help. My shots were directly at the target, I was missing them a bit short. Next step this weekend. Thanks for the ideas everyone posted in this thread.

Back