Lee Westwood Blames Clubs

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60L3WZ20100122?type=sportsNews

The British world number four slumped to a second round 78, putting him three-over and ensuring an early end to his tournament.

Australia's Rick Kulacz, on 12-under, holds a one-stroke lead.

Westwood, who achieved a European Tour double in November by winning the season-ending Dubai World Championship and the overall money-list title, was left wondering if his equipment supplier, Ping, had fitted all his clubs with wrong shafts.

"They just don't feel right and they don't feel the same, and I don't know if they've put the wrong shafts in or whatever," the Englishman told reporters.

"So I will probably get a new set sent out and reshaft the lot over the weekend to see if that does any good. They just feel like fishing rods."

interesting. it's amazing how much that can throw a tour player off his game. he looked really out of sorts today on the television coverage and i noticed after a few approach shots he looked very closely at his irons.

So how did he shoot a 69 in the first round? :confused2:

So how did he shoot a 69 in the first round? :confused2:

I was also wondering why he didn't notice the problem during his practice rounds? Seems kind of odd that he couldn't look at the shafts and know what he was playing before.

To be fair to him the couple of times I saw him in the telecast he did seem to be looking at his clubs oddly. On 13 or 14 he hit one about 5 yards short of the green. I mean he had to be 25-30 yards short of his target. To be fair pros are rarely that far off. It did seem something was amiss.

I thought Ping were famous for their custom fitting,LOL!!!!!!!!!

Poor Lee. I hate that. Had a set of clubs like that once!!!

I know how he feels. I once blamed a drive through car wash on a bad round. The fact that I forgot my clubs were in the bed of my truck when I went through the various cleaning cycles is immaterial..............:banghead:

Goes to show you how good these guys are if he can shoot a 69 with ill-fitted clubs. So, why cant I do that with my fitted sticks :act-up:

I am sure Ping didnt care too much about the fishing rod comparision but I will bet he has new sticks by now.

I think the cause is more likely his shirt. The cotton blend was just not the right choice.

hasnt he said this before? im sure he said he had clubs made in the US and the grade of shaft was different to what he normally played with...maybe it was darren clarke..

a good workman never blames his tools...:)

I don't know about that. One of my other passions in life is carpentry and I can tell you that a mitre saw doesn't perform as well depending on which blade you have on it. I know it's a weird comparison but perhaps it's like a golf club with the wrong shaft in it.

I don't know about that. One of my other passions in life is carpentry and I can tell you that a mitre saw doesn't perform as well depending on which blade you have on it. I know it's a weird comparison but perhaps it's like a golf club with the wrong shaft in it.

But if your mitre saw worked just fine the day before and you shot a 69 with it . . . :D

I don't think that's a good comparison. The miter saw is working as designed. The blade works as designed. If you put the wrong blade in it for the job at hand - that's your fault, not the tool's fault.

Westwood is saying his equipment wasn't working for him, but those same clubs could conceivably work well for someone else. In your miter saw example, no one could make the saw perform well if the wrong blade for the task was used.

Just my
2cents.gif

But if your mitre saw worked just fine the day before and you shot a 69 with it . . . :D

I would be STOKED if I shot a 69 with my mitre saw.

Or if I shot 69.

Or had a mitre saw.

hasnt he said this before? im sure he said he had clubs made in the US and the grade of shaft was different to what he normally played with...maybe it was darren clarke..

Golf clubs aren't tools btw. I know exactly what he is talking about with his clubs being too light or whippy like fishing rods. I have tried hitting lighter weight shafts and I am all over the place with them. My guess is he hacked off some guy working on his clubs in some way and the guy got him back by jacking with the clubs.

ok, the mitre saw comparison was a bad idea, mostly b/c (as bonk stated) i and i only would be responsible for the blade in the saw.

i was trying to give Lee the benefit of the doubt. Obviously something wasn't right b/c he was in contention a week later. i wonder if a tour player doesn't look at his sticks as much as the amateur does? i mean, if i had a caddie who was always handing me/cleaning my clubs then i probably wouldn't look at them as closely. i dunno.

Golf clubs aren't tools btw. I know exactly what he is talking about with his clubs being too light or whippy like fishing rods. I have tried hitting lighter weight shafts and I am all over the place with them. My guess is he hacked off some guy working on his clubs in some way and the guy got him back by jacking with the clubs.

Really? But the clubs only affected a single round and not the round when he was playing well? They were the same clubs. They did not change from Thursday to Sat.

I'm with Lee. Blame the clubs. I do it all the time. It is never the indian, it is always the arrow.......
:D

Back